Strelok officially banned by US government!

Looks like strelok is officially banned by US government! Not sure when the app will be killed but at very least it won’t get updates. It is unfortunate for us but there are alternatives, none are as user friendly and feature rich but such is life.

Last edited:
I have an old iphone I run this on. I will not be updating it with any new ios updates and if I am careful, StrelokPro will run on that till this dictator regime gets replaced.

Actually it depends on how apple implement the app. If Apple decides to kill the app then you better not connect that phone to internet at all or the app will get killed, Apple does have master kill switch on every single app. Google store tends to be not as strict but will see.

The wishful thinking side of things is Apple will not kill the app but will not process any new transaction/purchase of the app or allow update. It depends on how the lawyers read the ban requirements.

Actually it depends on how apple implement the app. If Apple decides to kill the app then you better not connect that phone to internet at all or the app will get killed, Apple does have master kill switch on every single app. Google store tends to be not as strict but will see.

The wishful thinking side of things is Apple will not kill the app but will not process any new transaction/purchase of the app or allow update. It depends on how the lawyers read the ban requirements.
No wi-fi, no network. No ios updates. Only plug in to charge. Basically a dumb "smart phone". Just about every app is deleted from this phone except StrelokPro.

My gut feeling is .... Yes. I'm watching Canada only shows from Calif. But the app has to be available. I have the app on several computers, as well as devices.

If you have the software on your computer then it is for sure safe as no one has master kill switch on them. Apple IOS devices are a different story but pretty sure no one would drag a laptop to go shoot or hunt.

Also Apple app Store for mobile devices are not available in Russia so even you are fully tunneled over using VPN, mobile devices are not going to work. We just hope Apple doesnt flip the kill switch!

Think I’ll setup one of my old phones to be a strelok phone with no internet connection. 🤔🤔🤔

If you have the software on your computer then it is for sure safe as no one has master kill switch on them. Apple IOS devices are a different story but pretty sure no one would drag a laptop to go shoot or hunt.

Also Apple app Store for mobile devices are not available in Russia so even you are fully tunneled over using VPN, mobile devices are not going to work. We just hope Apple doesnt flip the kill switch!

Think I’ll setup one of my old phones to be a strelok phone with no internet connection. 🤔🤔🤔
I'll just plug in the numbers and print out a table, problem solved. Or... flash of inspiration here, I've got an old iPad mini, still works and I'll just put it there, close enough for the little bit of squirrel splatting I do.

You
I'll just plug in the numbers and print out a table, problem solved. Or... flash of inspiration here, I've got an old iPad mini, still works and I'll just put it there, close enough for the little bit of squirrel splatting I do.

That usually works well enough. However what makes strelok shine is the ability to update environmental information on the fly. A dope sheet is quite off once temp swing gets big enough or even worse temp and elevation change. The zero temp feature is so awesome and lacking by some of the other apps, on top of that Ignor continues improving the app with connectivity with other devices like weather meter and range finders. Truly best app and work of art! Hope Apple doesn’t kill the app. 🤞🤞🤞

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
If you have valuable data in Strelok, make sure to back up now! In Settings, go "Backup Rifles" and export your data (Dropbox worked for me). This way you will have your data in case the app disappears from your phone. I'm sure the author will find a way to continue providing the service, there are various options there, this is not the end of the world, just don't lose your data in the meantime.

Reactions: JungleShooter