• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Straw hay bales for backstop?

"AlliInLL"Zebra, what kind of fiberglass? Like fiberglass insulation? Fill a box full of that and shoot into it? Any idea how deep it would be in order to work? And...where would one get kevlar?

Allison
You want woven fiberglass fabric and the same for Kevlar. You can buy it from any composites store or just order it from eBay.

you will want to order some epoxy laminating resin (with hardener) from the same place you buy the Kevlar from. 

You mix the resin with hardner and wet out the fiberglass and Kevlar and put multiple layers down on a flat surface. I used 4 layers of Kevlar and 6 layers of fiberglass (twill weave). I sandwich it between two pieces of plexiglass for curing with some release liner to stop it sticking to the plexiglass. I put some heavy books on top of the plexiglass until it's cured. 

You'll have to experiment with your air gun to see how many layers it will take to stop pellets getting through as they vary in power and penetration potential quite a lot... 

I built a 3x4 foot backstop out of used carpet. Carpet stores throw away large pieces of old carpet and will usually let you have all you want. I cut strips of carpet 4 foot by 1 foot and put 1/2 inch holes in the center of each piece at 1, 2 and 3 feet. Next I cut 2 pieces of 1x12 wood 4 feet long and drilled holes to match those in the carpet. I stacked the carpet pieces on one of the 1x12s with all thread rod running through the holes and when the stack was about as tall as the rods I put the second 1x12 on and with washers and nuts on the all thread rod squeezed the stack together. Some wood blocks on the ground and two T posts driven into the ground and wired to the backstop gave good stability to the backstop. It is weatherproof and stops all the .25 caliber pellets I've shot at it. For target holders I use old election yard signs and the wires that hold them, pull them apart and turn them inside out and you have a white backer to mark for a target or a backer to staple a target to. 

One thing I would add about any backstop is that you should check regularly that it's still holding. just because it stops your first pellet, doesn't mean it will stop your 10th. There are plenty of things that will stop a few pellets but not that many that will stand up to repeated how power impact. 

my first backstop was a 3" thick sold slab of hardened wood. This thing broke every power tool I have when I tried to cut it. It worked for a while but when I checked a month later, my pellets had near cut this thing in two behind my paper targets and gone though the wall behind it.

Things like carpet, phone books and other thick soft objects fall into the category of "very temporary backstop". If you shoot a lot you will bore through it. Remember, good shooting means putting as many pellets as possible in the same spot.

Where I live there is always someone cutting a few trees. (sometimes it me) I just get a cut off just above the stump. I have one at 25 yards and one at 50 yards. The two I'm using now are 30"across and 30" long, and I moved them with my tractor. But something in the 15" range would be plenty. I cut them about 24 inches long. And if you want them higher off the ground just get a few extra and stack them. You might want to drive a steel stake beside the bottom row if you are stacking.

Zebra, iride, Springrrr, GoodToGo, thanks for all the great help and ideas. I think the idea I originally had of railroad ties as a big backstop will work good. Maybe some carpet hung as side curtains to prevent spatter from the metal spinners. A big box (or suitcase) filled with the rubber mulch will also be in the plans.

Straw bales will tend to get filled with lead, which will be hard to dispose of. Just have to wait for shooting weather.