Storing air rifles

I just watched a YouTube video where it was suggested that we should be storing our air rifles with the barrel down versus barrel. The rational being that when it's stored with the barrel up, any lead particles, dirt, etc, can fall into working parts of the gun and cause problems. (Premature seal failure, etc.) I can see the rational in his thinking, though real damage seems pretty remote.

I'm curious; what do others think?

Reactions: darylm
I just watched a YouTube video where it was suggested that we should be storing our air rifles with the barrel down versus barrel. The rational being that when it's stored with the barrel up, any lead particles, dirt, etc, can fall into working parts of the gun and cause problems. (Premature seal failure, etc.) I can see the rational in his thinking, though real damage seems pretty remote.

Mine are stored in their cases, so I don’t worry about dust, etc.

If that’s the case maybe plug the breech with a felt cleaning pellet or clean the barrel before stowing. Problem solved, no? Stowing them muzzle down (for safe owners) may present POI shifts in some guns.

I would never do it because in 50 years I have never had that problem and would most likely watch them tumble over butt first.
Being already unstable, do not need to add to my instability.
When you open the action you should be able to see if any shaving,etc have fallen from the barrel,another thing is shaving kinda cling to the barrel.
Now when you are cleaning a barrel muzzle first you should put something to keep those shavings from getting in the action,etc.Just my thoughts.

i think its creating a problem where none exist.

How to be an expert on anything:
1. Buy a video camera.
2. Get a YouTube channel.
3. Start making videos.

I watched him pick up his handgun, with his finger on the trigger the whole time he delivered his sermon.
So what was the point in telling us how many enemy soldiers he killed? Was it relevant to inverted rifle storage ?

• Haha
Reactions: Triggers and 4X4s
Problem solved. 80CEDA3F-9544-4BC9-9CAA-8C0516EF993B.jpeg I find this works plus you get a great view of your gun. Crow

Mine are stored on supports on a slat wall in my humidity/temperature controlled vault in the basement with 11” of reinforced concrete around them. Seriously.
I see you're a fan of overkill. I like it. I don't think the wife will allow me to tunnel under the new house and do the same. She's already balking about making it a Faraday Cage. Something about wifi and cable.

Smitty

Reactions: rsfrid