• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Storing a Springer with the Barrel cracked to save the breech seal?

I read somewhere that some people store their springers with the barrel cracked open but not cocked, so they breech seal is not hardened over time pressed against the breech. Is this common? I know about leaving a pump or two in a Benjamin 392, but I have an R9, HW30s, and an X20ss that I wonder if I should be storing like that when not shooting.

Honestly it sounds like a solution looking for a problem. Leaving it closed will not accelerate hardening or dry rotting or anything of that nature. It will cause the seal to take a compression set but that’s okay. The pressure pulse from the firing cycle will force the seal against the breech block and receiver, and it will perform its job perfectly until such time as it does degrade due to age or abrasion or some other factor. 

Conversely, keeping a pump or two in a MSP is indeed advisable due to the way a typical pump cup is fitted to the tube and the fact pressure is built from zero relatively slowly (compared to a springer, or the transfer port seal or bolt seal on a PCP).

Breech seals are typically very long lived components. Bearing in mind common elastomers like polyurethane and Buna-N have shelf lives on the order of 5 – 15 years, stocking up on spares may be a bit of a tail-chasing endeavor. Certainly can understand wanting to have at least one spare on hand but any beyond that will probably age out before they can be used.