• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Storage

Length of storage is important, you CAN store for years if you want, at high psi.

But, mostly this has to do with seals. Soft seal material can become deformed with high pressure, so best not to leave under hi pressure over time. Our modern harder seal materials are less affected. BUT, still a good idea if storing to reduce pressure to some nominal level; enough to keep the valve closed and keep debris and dirt from entering the system, but not enough psi to deform the seals. I’d suggest storing it with 1000 psi or even less for long term storage.

Good luck with your deployment.

I do not know why would leaving it empty cause any damage to the o ring really. I am sure very few actually know how a basic component as an o ring functions/seals, it works differently to what you have thought really.

I work in the service industry with systems under vacuum daily. Deformation is the life and function of the o rings, they deform in the groove that is actually how they seal!

over time they all fail sooner or later, no matter if you leave it empty or full. Maybe you have some poorly designed gun on your mind when they got the material, groove size and seal size wrong...

I think it is more critical not to mechanically damage them by turning while under pressure, for example if you mess with the bottle. Or mess with the regulator adjuster. You should fully depressurize a gun before you start turning any components what have contact with seals.

replacing an o ring should be trivial as it is like a consumable, when you think about it: i would consider ease of access and serviceability more important than the looks!

for those who want to learn how o rings work just take a picture on this site

http://www.applerubber.com/hot-topics-for-engineers/how-an-o-ring-works/

P.S thanks for the - es, i just cant stand when people post BS

Guns,

Semper Fi, 7234 from 76-82. I have an Impact and wouldn't worry about storing for 6 months. The manual says not to go below 1000 psi so I would store it at that level. Although I have an extreme big bore and store it year round at 4500psi. As stated by milacik, all o-rings will eventually fail but they are cheap and most are easy to get to and replace. Just make sure you come home, the Impact will be fine when you do. Happy birthday, (5 days late) Azycray

Gents, thanks for all the good advice. I really appreciate it.

Smitty 6821? Isn’t that a weather man? Also you joined the year I was born. Lol all you old timers are the reason I joined.

Azycray, Smitty, and any I missed Semper Fi brothers and thank you for your service!

Gunny,

Yup, I was a weather observer, your the first Marine thats ever known that.

Smitty