• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Stoeger Stoeger X20 S2 - big question

I have a new to me Stoeger X20, and I'm afraid the baffles have been damaged.
I'd like to replace them, but I don't know if the end cap of the shroud is removable, and since parts are as scarce as hens teeth, I don't want to "Bubba" it trying to get the cap off.

So if anyone has some insight to this, please chime in. I bought it on a whim and it turned out to be much better than I expected. But every once in a while, it seems that the fired pellet will clip something as it travels through the barrel, and in the worst case it even throws sparks.

I believe a .177 may have found its way into the baffles and is the root of the problem, by becoming a "bridge" between the fired pellet and the baffles.
The rifle is retired until I get this sorted out.

Thanks all!

I would if I could Hold_Over, but I think the opportunity has passed.
The sparks happened the first 2 or 3 times, but frequency and intensity of the problem has really dropped off. I can basically shoot it with only occasional occurrences now, and I haven't seen sparks in a while.
There is a distinct smell associated with it, semi-metallic, so I'm guessing that the baffles are made from some type of sintered metal or similar material. No idea, just a guess.

Last edited:
I've seen it Oddhawk, and it's "worth a thousand words".
But, I just put 50 or 60 rounds through it (what could go wrong....? 😁) without a hiccup. I'm just gonna cross my fingers for now and keep shooting it.
It needs some breech seal maintenence but it's a surprisingly decent rifle, and accurate.
Hopefully, it's in the rearview mirror and I won't have to worry about it.

I'll also say this - it makes up to 17fpe (.22) and with just a rough sight in was reliably accurate at 100 yards on a 6" steel plate, and probably would have been just as effective on a 3" plate. Maybe smaller.

Trigger pales next to a good (Weihrauch, Diana) trigger but there was a good take-up stage then a clear wall then it fires. Perfectly decent field trigger IMO, but no one would mistake it for a target trigger.
The shroud makes cocking it comfortable on my hand, and if anything it's too easy to break open. I'd like a stouter spring behind the chisel. Ergonomics are good IMO, and firing cycle seems fine to me. Metal finish is quite good considering. And it's worth noting that the dovetail grooves were well aligned as machined because there was no need for windage correction when I moved out from 30 yards to 100.

If you see one for sale somewhere and the price seems right, you could do worse....

Last edited:
Reactions: Hold_Over
I'll also say this - it makes up to 17fpe (.22) and with just a rough sight in was reliably accurate at 100 yards on a 6" steel plate, and probably would have been just as effective on a 3" plate. Maybe smaller.

Trigger pales next to a good trigger (Weihrauch, Diana) but there was a good take-up stage then a clear wall then it fires. Perfectly decent field trigger IMO, but no one would mistake it for a target trigger.
The shroud makes cocking it comfortable on my hand, and if anything it's too easy to break open. I'd like a stouter spring behind the chisel. Ergonomics are good IMO, and firing cycle seems fine to me. Metal finish is quite good considering. And it's worth noting that the dovetail grooves were well aligned as machined because there was no windage correction needed when I moved out from 30 yards to 100. And I expected one.

If you see one for sale somewhere and the price seems right, you could do worse....