Stock M3 .25 slinging 46g at 910fps

So my 700mm .25 M3 is "stock" internally. Just had a powerblock

Right now it is pushing a 46g dishback slug at 910fps

143reg
4 on micro
16 on power wheel
Valve adjuster is at 5.5

I am impressed with this really... for a stock internal m3 rifle. But I wanna get 1040 at the peak adjustment so I can tune back down 5% and then dial into where the slug groups the best.

I have a slug kit on the shelf that has a 14.5g hammer weight in it 😳. I'm don't really wanna dive down that rabbit hole but ... I just got the Panthera and it is shooting damn good out of the box. So I might be able to deal with the time it potentially will take to get this thing dialed.

Just curious as to what my fellow AGN heavy sluggers think. And I'm not looking for a lecture from the pellet guys. Wind blows 10-25mph here constantly and my shots are 75-200y. Pellets don't hang.

And why such a heavy slug? 46g? Well I put the heavy liner in it and everything under that weight has shot like total crap. This 46g shows promise. With the standard superior it was 100y MOA with 33.5G. So cheers to never leaving a good thing be lol. The hot rodder in me follows me into every hobby 🤦

Screenshot_20230110-201945.png

Last edited:
The Panthera has the beast mode handled because the gun was designed for it. Since you have that and can deal with a crappy shot count, set your impact up for something more conservative. If nothing else the gun will thank you. You don’t have to shoot a 46. Like Mongoose said, the easiest way to not beat the crap out of your gun is to give the slug more runway. I’m a 1,040 guy with a .25 and pin probes and slug kits are a no go with me.

If you are really looking to push numbers, have you considered going to an 800mm setup? Easier to get the higher performance with less stress on the system. What brand slug are you using?
I swage my own slugs with a Corbin swage press and dies. Seeing I just got these liners and a barrel tensioner.. I'm not trying to toss the 700 stuff to the side

The Panthera has the beast mode handled because the gun was designed for it. Since you have that and can deal with a crappy shot count, set your impact up for something more conservative. If nothing else the gun will thank you. You don’t have to shoot a 46. Like Mongoose said, the easiest way to not beat the crap out of your gun is to give the slug more runway. I’m a 1,040 guy with a .25 and pin probes and slug kits are a no go with me.

I agree and the Panthera will probably get 90% of my attention for awhile seeing it's the new toy. Just plan on shooting 34g .22 with it.

I wasn't intending on slinging 46g slugs. But after the last few things I added to the gun, it seems it is more happy (grouping wise) singing heavy slugs down the pipe.

800mm barrel would be better but I'm fresh into this liner, tensioner, and shroud. So going to see what I can make it do before I throw in the towel. I'd probably put the superior standard liner back in it and go back to the 34g slugs in it too.

The v8 in my car has a GM crank, GM rods, GM heads.. and I'm throwing 30lbs of boost to it and shifting at 8000rpms. Car goes 8s in the 1/4. Guess I'm the guy that always has to try and do more with less.

Well in this hobby you might have something to look forward to. A lot of us eventually come full circle and know when to say when with different platforms. The writing is always on the wall with most guns. It’s just a matter of recognizing it. When you push past that, you usually wind up with a gun that’s a problem child. Not the sweat heart it once was. I too went through the phase where everything I owned either had a supercharger, nitrous or a turbo. Now I just go with the most NA power I can find. It’s still fun and I’m not always turning a wrench trying to maintain it. Good luck on your quest. Just remember, if you’re willing to drop coin on speed gadgets for your gun, then going 800mm and stiffening it shouldn’t bother you a bit. Then you can really put the hammer weight to use.

Switching to pure nitrogen from a large airgas tank gained me 3-4% more pellet energy in all my PCPs and the expense was offset by no longer having to buy compressors. That’s because pure nitrogen lacks the oxygen that is in air and oxygen is a heavier molecule. Hence more energy goes to the projectile. It’s a minor effect relative to helium but the same principle. Plus, it’s entirely safe (with the appropriate tank reg) and has the side benefit of being totally moisture-free. My compact m3 shoots 23 grain at 925 on air and 975 on nitrogen with no changes to any settings.

Have you tried 43 grain NSA? They shot great out of the heavy liner! Also you might want to bump the reg to 155-160 with such heavy slugs but you will need the tungsten hammer. For stock M3 145-150 bars is about the limit.
Yes, I agree. The NSA 43.5 at about 950 FPS or 87 fpe work great, and even better from the old 700mm Slug A liner than the new Superior Heavy. I have my reg set about 153 bar, use the tungsten hammer with NSA pin probe and Ernest Rowe transfer port.

Reactions: Nsboost and qball
Have you tried 43 grain NSA? They shot great out of the heavy liner! Also you might want to bump the reg to 155-160 with such heavy slugs but you will need the tungsten hammer. For stock M3 145-150 bars is about the limit.
I have a pretty significant amount of money invested in the Corbin swage press, dies, lead, etc.. so the end goal with every one of my guns is to make it shoot the slugs I swage. Only NSA slugs I have at the moment are for my .357 that I used prior to getting my slug making stuff.

The new slug power kits come with a tungsten hammer rather than spacers. So I have one.... What I might do is mill down the ledge that the spring sits on so it's 3mm thick or so. Which will lighten the hammer a teensy bit and retain more of the hammer adjustments on the wheel. Toss it in and bring the reg to that 155-165 and see if I can't get it moving another 100fps

Yes, I agree. The NSA 43.5 at about 950 FPS or 87 fpe work great, and even better from the old 700mm Slug A liner than the new Superior Heavy. I have my reg set about 153 bar, use the tungsten hammer with NSA pin probe and Ernest Rowe transfer port.
I read through a lot of your old posts leading up to this. Your kinda the reason I know that I can get the gun to shoot a slug this heavy and do it with acceptable accuracy.

Sucks the NSA probe won't work with the saber adjustable cheek riser.... So I'm just going to use the FX probe for now. The 46g is too long to fit in the magazine anyways

I have a pretty significant amount of money invested in the Corbin swage press, dies, lead, etc.. so the end goal with every one of my guns is to make it shoot the slugs I swage. Only NSA slugs I have at the moment are for my .357 that I used prior to getting my slug making stuff.

The new slug power kits come with a tungsten hammer rather than spacers. So I have one.... What I might do is mill down the ledge that the spring sits on so it's 3mm thick or so. Which will lighten the hammer a teensy bit and retain more of the hammer adjustments on the wheel. Toss it in and bring the reg to that 155-165 and see if I can't get it moving another 100fps

I read through a lot of your old posts leading up to this. Your kinda the reason I know that I can get the gun to shoot a slug this heavy and do it with acceptable accuracy.

Sucks the NSA probe won't work with the saber adjustable cheek riser.... So I'm just going to use the FX probe for now. The 46g is too long to fit in the magazine anyways
Cool. The Huma pin probe is better than the FX pin probe. I had issues with the FX pin probe bending...

Makes sense! It makes sense to lighten the hammer a little too, good approach is to get the lightest possible hammer. But it doesn't hurt to just thrown it in and give it try because with the factory 17 step HS power wheel there is a lot of adjustment even with the tungsten hammer PLUS you have the valve return will help with valve closing. For reference I tuned my friend's 700mm Maverick to shoot the 43 grain at 970fps with 155 bar reg so you should be in the ball park with 155-165 bar. Due to the tungsten hammer being twice as heavy as the factory hammer weight (7g vs 15g) I would discourage folks from reg under 150-155 bars with tungsten hammer.

I'm a fan of the FX probe because the pin length is easily adjustable but not sure if NSA version is just as easily adjustable. Based on my experience a lot of loading problem from pin probes are caused by the pin being too long. I found 6-6.5mm pin length will easily clear the slugs over the dual TP while have basically no loading problem even with factory mag. I do recommend Orion's mag carrier with fewer slugs, it's a lot smoother over all thanks to less weight. Or even better, get the mags from @Elis5173. His mags has sealed ball bearing for the carrier to help with extra weight from the heavy slugs and has more clearance than factory mag for longer slugs, best mag ever IMHO.

Also with HS maxed out, be sure to check the power wheel contact surface area regularly as it get chewed up from the steel pin pressing against the aluminum ramp with max force. Once it's chewed up your ES and SD will open up, to fix that get @Mrshosted power wheel with stainless steel ramp which is a must have upgrade on any fx guns with power wheel especially with HS maxed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Centercut