• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

STO Sarissa

I'd like to get the quietest moderator possible for my FX Impact, 600mm, .25 caliber shooting JSB/FX 34 grain diabolo pellets at about 57 ft lbs - 870 fps. I'm considering the STO Sarissa high flow but I'm concerned about POI shift, harmonics, etc. Also, those of you who have one - is it really really really quiet? Is there anything quieter? Too bad there's no way to test it - they will not allow a return if it has been mounted or tested.

I know that this is apples to oranges , but , I had one on a RAW HM 1000 in .25 cal . It was shooting about the same energy as your FX. I found it to be quite effective , and did not notice any poi shift as I recall. The gun and the suppressor have since been sold. I guess what I'm saying is "I think so" o_O
Of course with me , my advice is worth what you paid for it ! On another note , should it not be what you want , it should have a decent resale value.
Good luck.

Reactions: MikeAllen
I'd like to get the quietest moderator possible for my FX Impact, 600mm, .25 caliber shooting JSB/FX 34 grain diabolo pellets at about 57 ft lbs - 870 fps. I'm considering the STO Sarissa high flow but I'm concerned about POI shift, harmonics, etc. Also, those of you who have one - is it really really really quiet? Is there anything quieter? Too bad there's no way to test it - they will not allow a return if it has been mounted or tested.
A few comments… I have tried 2 new STO’s on different rifles. In both cases, they were probably the quietest (by a very small margin and barely noticeable), but in both cases they clipped when other heavier models didn’t. I was perfectly happier using the more accurate moderators that were slightly louder. Both were FX rifles, Impact and Crown. I wont bother again. I don’t think you are going to get magic quiet. With all the moderators I’ve tried on rifles, I have never been blown away by how much quieter one was vs another.

I don’t think I have ever put anything on an FX barrel (even non FX barrels) and the POI didn’t shift. 1 time shift for each moderator, but I don’t think that is an issue, as you sight it in for the moderator you are using.

As for harmonics, anything you put on there is going to affect harmonics, so you just have to find the right balance with your rifle. It is significantly lighter than some other brands, so it could be different from whatever you are currently shooting.

Considering the speeds you are shooting, and I haven’t done the calculation, are you sure you need high flow? Being the biggest and allowing for highest airflow won’t necessarily be the best for your situation. That actually seems like a fairly tame setting and many moderators should do a great job keeping that quiet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
A few comments… I have tried 2 new STO’s on different rifles. In both cases, they were probably the quietest (by a very small margin and barely noticeable), but in both cases they clipped when other heavier models didn’t. I was perfectly happier using the more accurate moderators that were slightly louder. Both were FX rifles, Impact and Crown. I wont bother again. I don’t think you are going to get magic quiet. With all the moderators I’ve tried on rifles, I have never been blown away by how much quieter one was vs another.

I don’t think I have ever put anything on an FX barrel (even no FX barrels) and the POI didn’t shift. 1 time shift for each moderator, but I don’t think that is an issue, as you sight it in for the moderator you are using.

As for harmonics, anything you put on there is going to affect harmonics, so you just have to find the right balance with your rifle. It is significantly lighter than some other brands, so it could be different from whatever you are currently shooting.

Considering the speeds you are shooting, and I haven’t done the calculation, are you sure you need high flow? Being the biggest and allowing for highest airflow won’t necessarily be the best for your situation. That actually seems like a fairly tame setting and many moderators should do a great job keeping that quiet.
Thanks for your input! All great thoughts.

I know that this is apples to oranges , but , I had one on a RAW HM 1000 in .25 cal . It was shooting about the same energy as your FX. I found it to be quite effective , and did not notice any poi shift as I recall. The gun and the suppressor have since been sold. I guess what I'm saying is "I think so" o_O
Of course with me , my advice is worth what you paid for it ! On another note , should it not be what you want , it should have a decent resale value.
Good luck.
Thanks!

I can't comment on the one you listed but I have a Huggett Astille on my M3 .25 cal and it is the quietest moderator I have ever tried....I'm shooting the JSB 33.95's at around 900fps with no poi shift at all........

IMG_5143.jpg

Reactions: MikeAllen
MikeAllen,

Mackeral5 on this forum has quite an impressive collection of airgun moderators, including the STO Sarissa. He told me that his Sarrisa works very well. That it works better at higher power. That it makes PCPs with a stock shroud work better than other moderators of equivalent dimensions. So, based on this endorsement, getting a Sarrisa would not be a mistake. That said, I suggest you ask Mackeral5 to speak for himself.

Now, Mackeral5 also has a number of custom mufflers and inserts that I designed for him. Some work better than others; which brings me to a side-note: The usefulness of factory-made moderators as benchmarks. So, when you have your Sarrisa in hand, I would like you to compare one of my custom mufflers against it. I do not expect my 6.5 x 2" OD effort to match the Sarrisa, but to give it a run for its money, at a quarter of the price.

To facilitate such a comparison a .25 cal 6.5 x 2" muffler with a half 20 thread will be on its way to your shipping address, by the time you read this, free of charge. The only costs you are expected to incur are for your pellets and air :).

This cylindrical muffler was derived from the oval offset moderator I designed for the Huben pistol, shooting at over 60 FPE. And, it works very well in that application. The wall thickness is heaviest around the blast chamber; then steps down as the pressure drops towards the front, to keep the weight down.

Anyway, I would not dare suggest that you try my offering first, to see if it meets your needs, before your decide on the Sarrisa. I would rather you rank the two mufflers, taking into account the absolute performance, size, weight and cost. Then post your impressions or results on open forum.

I shall close my topic deviation with; I trust that your Sarrisa will live up to its reputation.

Note that the waffle pattern ribs were added to the OD of the smooth muffler version that is shown in section below:

1705568516765.png

1705568399751.png

1705568428231.png

1705568472903.png

.25  6.5 x 2 LDC  Half20.JPG

Last edited:
MikeAllen,

Mackeral5 on this forum has quite an impressive collection of airgun moderators, including the STO Sarissa. He told me that his Sarrisa works very well. That it works better at higher power. That it makes PCPs with a stock shroud work better than other moderators of equivalent dimensions. So, based on this endorsement, getting a Sarrisa would not be a mistake. That said, I suggest you ask Mackeral5 to speak for himself.

Now, Mackeral5 also has a number of custom mufflers and inserts that I designed for him. Some work better than others; which brings me to a side-note: The usefulness of factory-made moderators as benchmarks. So, when you have your Sarrisa in hand, I would like you to compare one of my custom mufflers against it. I do not expect my 6.5 x 2" OD effort to match the Sarrisa, but to give it a run for its money, at a quarter of the price.

To facilitate such a comparison a .25 cal 6.5 x 2" muffler with a half 20 thread will be on its way to your shipping address, by the time you read this, free of charge. The only costs you are expected to incur are for your pellets and air :).

This cylindrical muffler was derived from the oval offset moderator I designed for the Huben pistol, shooting at over 60 FPE. And, it works very well in that application. The wall thickness is heaviest around the blast chamber; then steps down as the pressure drops towards the front, to keep the weight down.

Anyway, I would not dare suggest that you try my offering first, to see if it meets your needs, before your decide on the Sarrisa. I would rather you rank the two mufflers, taking into account the absolute performance, size, weight and cost. Then post your impressions or results on open forum.

I shall close my topic deviation with; I trust that your Sarrisa will live up to its reputation.

Note that the waffle pattern ribs were added to the OD of the smooth muffler version that is shown in section below:

View attachment 426347

View attachment 426344
View attachment 426345

View attachment 426346

View attachment 426348
I like the design of that moderator very much! I'm curious how you think it compares to the basic plume design, like the 2x8" one you designed for me back in November? This one clearly has more material inside it, which reduces expansion volume, but the baffling and resultant strength of the moderator look like they would be great . . . .

Alan,

I have more info about the mufflers you mentioned, as attached to Huben pistols. The 6.5" x 1.5" offset oval was ranked as quieter than the 8" long by 1.5 " diameter, which surprised me. How the oval muffler would compare with the 8 x 2" "plume" you have is anybody's guess. But, as you noticed, the internal baffles are quite different.

This 2 x 6.5" cylindrical muffler has the same "tube in a tube" design as the offset oval. It is the creation of that offset design that led to this tube in tube design. The oval muffler that works so well on the Huben pistol actually has a smaller internal volume than it cylindrical "offspring", because the oval is only 1.5" at its widest point. The question of where this 2 x 6.5 muffler fits in in terms of performance, is the reason why I am offering it to Mike to test.

Right now, the only person who has reported any kind of evaluation for this 2 x 6.5 cylindrical muffler is forum member, miksatx. I asked him to compare it to the Huben offset oval "parent" design. His preliminary report was that the 2 x 6.5 was a little quieter than the 6.5 x 1.5 offset oval. So, unless the oval shape is somehow producing a parabolic noise cancelling effect, it seems that the tube in tube design with perforated walls communicating to secondary expansion chambers, is what produced better than expected results. Better than my basic "plume" single tube design. Although that is inferred rather than tested side by side.

If you want to know how this 2 x 6.5" muffler's performance compares through a less circuitous path, then testing one yourself would seem an efficient way to accomplish that. The one on its way to Mike Allen was printed by forum member TorqueMaster. Unfortunately there is a limit to how many free mufflers I can hand out. But, TorqueMaster would be happy to print one for you at approximately a quarter of the Sarrisa's price (TM sets the price). PM him, if you are interested.

The 2 x 6.5" cylindrical muffler inherited the oval offset mufflers thicker walls around the first expansion chamber, to stand the Huben pistol at 60 FPE+.

MikeAllen,

View attachment 426347

View attachment 426344
View attachment 426345

View attachment 426346

View attachment 426348
I haven't yet purchased the STO and may well not. I keep looking and poking around and haven't yet had a chance to do the testing we have discussed. The 6.5x2 with the waffle pattern looks a lot like the blue one that hoteltwofive sent to me when he sent the other prints. He does very nice work!

I haven't yet purchased the STO and may well not. I keep looking and poking around and haven't yet had a chance to do the testing we have discussed. The 6.5x2 with the waffle pattern looks a lot like the blue one that hoteltwofive sent to me when he sent the other prints. He does very nice work!

Mike,

You are under no obligation to buy the Sarrisa :) . I would like your opinion on the 2 x 6.5" moderator anyway.

This 2 x 6.5" moderator is a new design. It is different internally to the one sent to you previously, despite similar external appearances.

Mike,

You are under no obligation to buy the Sarrisa :) . I would like your opinion on the 2 x 6.5" moderator anyway.

This 2 x 6.5" moderator is a new design. It is different internally to the one sent to you previously, despite similar external appearances.
Thanks - I look forward to receiving it!

Reactions: subscriber
Mike,

Can you make something to make my wife quieter?

My Info on .25 Huben Offset and 2x6.5 spin off. Used my modfied notos bottle gun. shooting FX dome 15.89g 780/770fps. Gun without LDC 108.2dBA with offset LDC 1. 93.5dBA 2. 95.2dBA 3. 95.6dBA

2x6.5 LDC 1. 92.7dBA 2. 91.8 3. 91.5dBA .

View attachment 428124

View attachment 428125
What db meter are you using and, more importantly, where do you place it?