• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Still on the hunt for a great .177 slug shooter! Any suggestions?

I’m loving my .177 RedWolf HP with the 13.43 Knockout slugs.
Here’s 10 shots at 100 yards, and three 5 shot groups at 130 yards, there was a steady light breeze.
The slugs really slice through the wind impressively. Shooting on high power, I don’t have a chrony so I’m not sure how fast it’s shooting, I believe it’s about 1000 fps.

A6917A59-2007-448D-A6EC-E631C764A14B.jpeg

9E4B4D1A-055E-485D-A411-ECA9A9F27A45.jpeg

3AF6B604-2AA3-41D6-AF86-F72882414E7E.jpeg

D459A083-BB49-4073-B92F-E1E5CE2D398B.jpeg

I have an RTI Prophet 1 .177 and, with the OEM 20" barrel, i easily get between 45 and 50 fpe.
BUUUUUUT I just installed a 24" LW polygonal unchocked barrel, slugged at about 0.175, polished and rimed. We will see as soon as Wildman's slugs will arrive. Unfortunately i can't order Griffin's slugs, they look really promising.
I have tested the Griffin slugs in .177cal. I wouldn't waste your time on them. I would use the zan slugs instead.

I prefer griffin. I've used .218 36gr BT slugs from them for sub 1/2 moa @ 100yrds in fx crown 700mm

I purchased a few different 177 Griffin slugs a while back. They look very good but I haven't found them to work with any 177 I own. Not saying there not good just never worked out for me! I'm sure a lot of people have great results with them...

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
I prefer griffin. I've used .218 36gr BT slugs from them for sub 1/2 moa @ 100yrds in fx crown 700mm

I'm curious to the power out put of the fx crowd with 700mm liner? How fast are you pushing the 36gn .22 slugs? One of my friends just got one in .30cal and is getting a .25cal barrel kit for it. He is very happy with the accuracy. But you know now he wants to shot slugs.

I'm curious to the power out put of the fx crowd with 700mm liner? How fast are you pushing the 36gn .22 slugs? One of my friends just got one in .30cal and is getting a .25cal barrel kit for it. He is very happy with the accuracy. But you know now he wants to shot slugs.
Is a Mk1, was doing 65fpe with 7gm hammer weight, 150bar, custom porting (by me) this was prior to the "slug ports" my ports seem to have identical power results to the best case results from slug ports. I since converted to 500mm superior, and just run it at 50fpe now with 25gr slugs.

This afternoon I did get out the Delta Wolf to run a few slugs through. I was shooting the Howlers 12gr and the Zan 13gr. I know that it shoots the Howlers good but was surprised on how well it did with Zans! One of the pics I attached is a 10 shot group at 50yards with the Zans. Was .5" all 10 shots which is good but 7 of the 10 has a C to C of .25"! Shooting at 940fps. Next I wanted to see if I could capture the Zans and Howlers in a gal water jug to see the different in expansion. Set the jug out at 40 yrds. The Zans shot at 940fps hit the first water jug with a loud thump and didn't exit. Quickly reloaded and shot again with the same result, loud thump but no exit. You can see from the pic how well they expanded. Next set up for the Howlers. Howlers moving the same speed 940. Hit the jug, not as loud of an impact and went straight through. Grabbed my last 2 jugs, figured I would at least catch it in the second one??? Shot and went through both like a hot knife through butter!!! That's why there is no pic of the Howler, was not able to recover it. I guess if your trying to knock something down with less chance of a pass through use the Zans. If you need to put holes through something the Howlers are the ticket!!!

View attachment 20230124_164147.jpg

View attachment 20230124_162841.jpg

So as the title states, still looking for that 177 slug shooter. I just cancelled my FX Panthers order, figured I'd wait a while and see if any issues come up with this new platform before I reorder one. This frees up some funds for another gun! So far my 177's are a Daystate Delta Wolf 23", FX Impact M3 600mm and AGT Vixen long. My Delta Wolf is a fantastic pellet shooter and shoots Howler slugs ok but I really need to crank the reg way up to get speeds up with anything 13gr or higher. My M3 does well with Zan 13gr and no lack of power which is nice. It doesn't seem to like any of the 15gr and heavier slugs. I do have the 177 slug barrel on order but who knows when those will start shipping. My Vixen is a great gun but never intended it to be a heavy slug shooter due to its short barrel and small tank. Its my go to for pesting around the house with JSB 10gr pellets. I have narrowed my next gun to the RTI Prophet2 performance or Uragan 2 600mm. Let me know if any of you have any experience on these 2 with 15gr or heavier slugs! Which do you think would be the better slug shooter or is there another gun I may have over looked!!!

Ed
Hi,
Do you use slug barrel for your m3? Or stock barrel? I have m3. 177 too great on pellet but bad with slug... What modification did you done to m3?

Hi,
Do you use slug barrel for your m3? Or stock barrel? I have m3. 177 too great on pellet but bad with slug... What modification did you done to m3?

No mods all stock! I wish I had my slug liner but still no word from SPAW. I've sent them a few emails over the last few months asking if they have any updates but no response??? Right now I'm shooting the Zan 16gr but it likes the 13gr better. Tomorrow will let you know my settings if that helps.