Still Looking

For my first PCP. I posted a thread this summer looking to get started with a wood stock PCP for doing backyard practice for NRA smallbore silhouette . My silhouette rifle is an Anschutz 1712, and I’m looking to acquire a rifle with similar ergonomics and weight to my Anschutz 1712.

I found a source for a free scuba tank from a friend in Florida, capable of at least 3500PSI. I’ve decided against starting cheap, I’m planning on spending $500-700 for the rifle.

Ive looked quite extensively and have found four models that caught my eye as being within the parameters I’m seeking- they are:

Walther Rotek

Kral Puncher Mega, Walnut

Kral Puncher Jumbo

Benjamin Marauder

Kral Puncher Pro 500

Im particularly interested in hearing from members who actually any of own these models.

Im looking for reviews, pros/cons, and

any equipment I might need beyond my Scuba tank, hose and hookup.

Also- any other rifles you might recommend that might fit the bill for my purposes. Repeater rifles are nice, but NOT necessary. During smallbore silhouette matches, we single load every shot, which helps to rest the arms between holding on target, and helps to make each shot an individual event.

Im looking forward to hearing from the knowledgeable people here-

Regards,

DrGunner 

Oh my, if you could just add a couple hundred to the budget? A Daystate Huntsman Regal would totally feel very close to your 1712. Right down to the roll over cheek piece. I really loved mine. It really felt like a fine sporter rifle in the hand. I guarantee you would not regret the purchase.

https://www.precisionairgunsandsupplies.com/product_p/daystateregal.htm

RJ, JKing, Dairyboy... THANKS for the link and suggestion. Man, that Daystate Regal is EXACLTY what I’m looking for! I guess I COULD use my Leupold silhouette scope on it, same 11mm rail.

Guess I have to decide if I’ll roll the dice with a $5-600 Kral or Double Down & get a Regal and be sure.

ill do some more reading, thinking, penny counting and see where I end up.

Anyone have any opinion on the Krals?

are they junk?

My wife is gonna kill me if I do buy a Regal.

I just spent $2500 on my 1712 and Leupold VX3i 6.5-20x40 EFR with upgraded 1/2” Leupold dot reticle!

DrGunner

Last edited:
No worries on my end, was not familiar with the distances and speeds required. Now, the Regal I have owned. I would buy a used Regal vs a new Kral, but that’s just me. There are guys here that love them (Kral) May require some TLC, tuning, and extra cash on your end (speculation based on what I read here) 

I would: Research the Kral, start a new thread asking specifically about them, reach out to those people that have been able to get the most out of them. Try YouTube Southern Gunner maybe. I think @blackdiesel may be knowledgeable on them as well, maybe. Try using the search function on here. 

Good luck

Doc, you want to have a excellent first time experience. Dont roll the dice and end up with something you have to tune and improve to get it the way you want it. It cost more in the long run and wastes time. The Huntsman comes with a choked Lothar Walther barrel. Accuracy is not a problem. A trigger that can be adjusted to ounces, comes to a solid wall at the second stage and breaks like glass. You get where I'm going with this, its the same speech you've gave on the other forum. And we all know its easier to ask for forgiveness.

Insaneaty22- I just read a link to a different model of the AS T200 called a TX200 that is listed at 900fps, which WOULD be adequate for my purposes, and costs around $600. Is it possible that’s the model you meant to suggest? Can you post a link?

I might look into the Krals, but to be honest, I do quite enough tuning and tinkering already. I want this rifle to fit my needs, out of the box, with as little dicking around as possible. Your statement about buying a used Regal vs new Kral speaks volumes.

Thank You!

DrGunner 

RJ- Very well said, my friend! 

Question- aside from the site you linked selling the Huntsman, do you have any other links where there’s more detailed info on how they’re built, specs, etc? I didn’t see weight listed, which matters.

Before I make a final decision here, I’d like to at least read a little on the AA TX200. I thought I read somewhere that they were made by CZ, and if so- I want to know more. I own 5 CZ rimfires and 2 crnterfires. Not one bad rifle in the lot, but some are better than others.

or is the T200 another rifle that has me rolling the dice?

Ive got Lothar Walther barrels on 5 out of 6 Kidd custom rifles, and they’re all great shooters.

Clever move chief- quoting my own words from that other board, lol.

I really appreciate all of you for taking the time to provide help & sound advice.

Thanks for the link! 

Couple of questions- remember I’m a PCP NOOB!

1) I Noticed that the Regal is offered in a regulated and non regulated version. What does that mean?

Which do you recommend & why?

2) I just looked back at the thread I posted here a month or so ago, and someone in that thread recommended an Air Arms S200 FT, which is a PCP, not a springer (My bad on the TX200 model, I got it wrong). It shoots 800fps, cost just over $500, and is purportedly made by CZ for Air Arms.

Is that rifle worth a look?

Bear in mind, air rifle practice only accounts for about 10% of my practice. That might increase if I get the right gun, but I’ll have buyers remorse if I buy a $1000 rifle and don’t use it enough. I have over 2 dozen rifles, the majority rimfire.

i just bought my wife a loaded 2019 GMC Yukon XLT, so money is tight- but I can also bargain with her from the passenger seat of her new ride ;)

thanks again-

DrGunner 

Look, I don't want to rain on your parade, but you actually think you can play with your available budget, , , , you cannot. You cannot be competitive with an unregulated gun. I went through all of your experiences and questions as well. I had the same preconceptions. My initial choice was the Kral products. You might get lucky and find a gun that shoots good right out of the box, but you probably won't and if you need factory support, you will truly be SOL. It is non-existent. You will not save any money by buying an unregulated gun, then adding a regulator and spend all kinds of money in mods and excessive tuning to be competitive. You would still have a $500 gun that is bastardized. Regardless of the gun, you still have to invest in your high pressure air infrastructure and here there is no free lunch either

So, here is my advise. Save your money and buy quality like FX or Red Wolf. They shoot well right out of the box. You will not regret it. Then avoid the Chinese cheap compressors. They are crap. This hobby is EXPENSIVE to get setup, then it gets inexpensive after that. I do not expect you to believe me. It is not what you want to hear, but it is true. Perhaps, like most folks, you will learn this the hard way.

Reactions: DarthMaul
Look, I don't want to rain on your parade, but you actually think you can play with your available budget, , , , you cannot. You cannot be competitive with an unregulated gun. I went through all of your experiences and questions as well. I had the same preconceptions. My initial choice was the Kral products. You might get lucky and find a gun that shoots good right out of the box, but you probably won't and if you need factory support, you will truly be SOL. It is non-existent. You will not save any money by buying an unregulated gun, then adding a regulator and spend all kinds of money in mods and excessive tuning to be competitive. You would still have a $500 gun that is bastardized. Regardless of the gun, you still have to invest in your high pressure air infrastructure and here there is no free lunch either

So, here is my advise. Save your money and buy quality like FX or Red Wolf. They shoot well right out of the box. You will not regret it. Then avoid the Chinese cheap compressors. They are crap. This hobby is EXPENSIVE to get setup, then it gets inexpensive after that. I do not expect you to believe me. It is not what you want to hear, but it is true. Perhaps, like most folks, you will learn this the hard way.

+1

I would have to disagree. Plenty of real good rifles available under 1000$ that are still competitive . https://www.airgunforum.ca/store/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=209

here’s one as an example , the price is also in Canadian dollars so you save there to add a regulator or magazine if so inclined . Just because the cheaper rifles can use some TLC it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s been bastardized. Polish the barrel , clean up ports and smooth out the air path and usually some trigger work . This can more often then not turn a decent shooter into a great shooter . I remember a Kral actually placing in the top 50 at the EBR last year with exactly that treatment .