• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Steyr Regulator Question

Hi all,
​I shot my Steyr LG110 FT until it was off the reg today (to get a usable shot count). When I refilled and starting shooting over the chrony again, my velocities were low and inconsistent. I know from tweaking regs on various air rifles in the past that there is a "settling in" period, but I was surprised to see this happen on a regulator that I hadn't tinkered with, only shot until it was off reg. Has anyone had this happen or can offer an explanation?
​Thanks,
Ryan

Brian and Hunka,

Keep in mind that there should be a small amount of air escaping from the bolt area. This is the release of the pressure from the recoiless piston mechanism in the bolt. Steyr calls this mechanism the stabilizer. A little puff of air should be normal with any shot. Steyr regulators are very easily messed up with a fly spec of dirt. Hector Medina, who is a Steyr authorized repair technician once told me if the regulator is inconsistent, to clean it in alcohol. I do not recall what kind of alcohol, so I would not attempt this until sure. The process is to remove the regulator from the gun, soak the entire regulator in the alcohol, then screw it (The regulator) onto a fully charged air tube, and blow it out. He said this can be done by the novice without fear of damage.

Tom Holland

"Xbowsniper"Steyr regulators are very easily messed up with a fly spec of dirt. Hector Medina, who is a Steyr authorized repair technician once told me if the regulator is inconsistent, to clean it in alcohol. I do not recall what kind of alcohol, so I would not attempt this until sure.
I think IPA (isopropylalcohol) works best for this since it works great for cleaning.

Have you already tried applying a bit of pure silicone oil (or nano oil) on the tip of the regulator and then screw on the cylinder again? Maybe it needs a bit of lubrication to get going again.

Normally it is not a problem at all to shoot below the working pressure of the regulator of a Steyr, they can handle that just fine! I think it is more likely that you have some dirt in there or that it needs a little bit of lube and by removing/relubing it should work fine again.

Thanks for the replies. I'll send Hector an email to ask about what type of alcohol is best for cleaning. Tom, just a quick question so i'm clear on your cleaning instructions. Remove reg, clean with whatever recommended alcohol, then BEFORE reassembly onto the action screw it onto a cylinder? I guess that means screwing it on and off quickly, not dumping a whole cylinder through it?
Thanks for taking the time to help me.
RYan

Thank you Tom. Broekzwans you were exactly right about the IPA. Here's what Hector had to say:

"Isopropyl Alcohol. You can get it in any pharmacy. Minimum concentration of 70% If you can find 90% that cleans better. Let parts dry before lubing and reassembling. If you are cleaning a "gummed up" regulator that you do not want to disassemble, then submerge the regulator in Isopropyl for 10-20 minutes, then use two or three short bursts of air to clean all gunk and debris out. If it is still gummed up, repeat. If not, then put a DROP of Ultimox oil on the intake and put another two or three bursts of air through the regulator."

I'll try cleaning out the reg and get back with the results. 
Thanks again.
Ryan