Steyr Pro X vs Hunting 5 Auto

Hi Paul,

I have not had a chance to do some real testing with multiple pellet types on a calm day and at a good distance.

The accuracy from sighting in at 15 yards with 10+ mph crosswind and Barracuda match was good but not one on top of the other. On a calm day with the right ammo I'm confident it will shoot really well.

Attached is the test target. My guess is that with the right ammo and conditions it will outshoot the test target. I've had a number of test targets from various manufacturers that were improved upon with the right load and such...

It is a magnificent gun. I'm really happy with it.

IMG_1100.1643263552.jpeg

The morning was calm so I tested out some different pellets at 20 yards. I also lowered the velocity from 780 fps to around 715 fps.

The Barracuda Match are the best of what I have on hand. They not only group better but fit snugly in the magazine. The loose fitting pellets are a problem.

I could get about 100 shots per fill with the 780 fps setting. I'm curious to see how many shots I get out the the lower setting.

Just curious, what kind of velocity would you be going for if you were trying to balance shot count, accuracy and wind at distances of 35 yards.

Thanks,

Dave

Stery ProX pellet test 1-28-22.1643409109.jpeg

That's interesting.

I took the following readings after the power was turned down. So, shots 1 to 20 were at the same power setting.

Shots 1 to 10 were Baracuda Match 10.65.

Shots 11 to 20 were Exact Heavy 10.34

There is a big jump up in FPS even though the weight is pretty similar. The Baracuda's are quite tight in the magazine where the Exact Heavy's were not tight. That's the only variable I can think of.

What kind of spread would be expected?

Exact Heavy.1643475944.jpeg
715 fps chrono reading.1643475945.PNG

CrazyDave,

I didn't intend to open a can of worms. My comments are based on three 22 cal Steyr Pro X's in my circle of friends that regularly (but not always) shoot single digit velocity spreads with good pellets. When I used 14.3 gr Crosmans, there were always flyers with the corresponding velocity drops up to 40 or 50 fps. 

Your results with the JSBs and a velocity spread of 13 fps is very good. The velocity increase of the looser pellets is surprising. I've experienced tighter pellets usually produced smaller velocity spreads.

There are many variables going on here. Were all the shots above 135 bar of the regulator? Your photo showing 90 bar can result in unpredictable swings.

Can't answer your last questions because I've never used Pro X in .177. Hopefully, other .177 Steyr owners can answer this.

The bottom line. Does the Pro X produce nice groups with the pellets you're using?

WOW, that scope rail sure is super high !!!!!!

Right, I think it's too high. I'm going to be taking the rail off when some new rings come in.

Thanks for your thoughts Paul. Like you said... a lot of variables. I'm satisfied with the accuracy and I doubled my shot count per fill (200 shots) with the lower power setting. So, I'm calling it good.

HI I got a Steyr Pro X after looking at it for a year , I always liked Styer for the Powder burner long range stuff , About 1 year ago I ordered one from Mundair 1 year ago , my first and only semi automatic pcp gun , I have to say out of box it worked flawless , the power was a bit low though I did however replace the hammer spring with a bit heavier one , When I got mine it was about 26fpe I run mine now about 31fpe , It has a bit of learning curve compared to other PCP guns I own , here is 1 example , I removed barrel to clean and polish it , which was very easy , after installing it back on the gun puffed air near magisine , I was like Hmm , I found out by guys at Mundair where I got gun , the 2 screws holding barrel are not just for locking down barrel one accually pulls barrel one way the other lockes it down , this gun requires like almost 0 clearance between barrel and magisine or it will be loud and not cycle , if it is tightened too much , it wont spin , so small things like this you learn as you go . I want to touch on pellets for mine , well mine shoots all pellets fine , the 25 gr are too tall so they will not work , The magisine has no oring like all other pcp guns to hold them into magisine , while it shoots .550 and .551 good the ,552 are best as they have some interferance from magisine to pellet meaning they stay put once you seat them , So after learning this I only use .552 . I found the new H&N 18 gr shoot best in my gun , one hole at 35 a ragged hole at 50 yards and group great at 100 yards , I can routinely hit a 1 inch spinner at 109 yards during light wind ,

All groups shown are 100 yds shooting from my 2Vets tripod , I read you need low scope mounts , While in picture is my Tier 1 ZCO 4-20 scope with a spurh mount , I find I can shoot any height scope ring weather I pop on a 5ximmerse optic or I run my ZCO when I want to shoot 100 yd groups as the glass is one of best I own ,I like it better then my Schmidt benders , ok but when I am hunting I do not run such a heavy large optic for a 31fpe gun , Id have to say My favorite optic for this gun is my Eotec 3-4 red-dot with 4 dots for hold over and I run a Eotech G33 flip to the side 3x magnifier , this is very fast for aquiring a target and also for moving game being this is a semi automatic here is a picture of it on my gun ,

OK last thing to touch on , I have to run a moderator , I have like a bunch of donnys and 1 0db but my 0db is in 30 cal so I did order a fatboy for it , and like rest of things I read it did not work very well out of box , WHen I took it apart I also noticed it had only 2 chambers , well I got to talking to MTN here on forum and I told himit didnt preform well , I said it has endcaps for different calibers , he told me the holes were too large so I followed his advice and made up a few reducers which I pressed into place in the endcaps and body and I also cut .030 off coupling male thread and made up a washer with a .230 hole so now instead of having .370 holes mine are now .230 and now it is mouse quiet , for heck of it I took my monster donny called emporer and made up a few bushings and if I run this which I wont It make no noise at all lol I do alot of tuning and mods to guns and ammos but I never thought of modding my moderators but now thanks to a member /friend I do now thanks MtN.

here is gun set up for target shooting

Ht
_DSC1288.1643559812.JPG
_DSC1289.1643559813.JPG
_DSC1290.1643559813.JPG
_DSC1297.1643559891.JPG

and here is gun with EOtech and G33 set up for hunting

0130221156_HDR.1643562602.jpg
0130221157a_HDR.1643562604.jpg
0130221157c_HDR.1643562605.jpg

lastly here is moderator with mods which now I am delighted with the Fatboy ,One thing about moderators is it must be difficult to know how large to make holes and a balance of noise and performance ,I remember one moderator I got from Donny for a 25 cal , it was a hatsan it went onto scroud and it clipped , Donny told me order moderators one size bigger and he sent me out a larger one , well he was correct , he knows his stuff , You see the tolerances in the hatsan scroud are not too precise like the barrel of the styer , so I am able to use a hole of .230 when shooting a ,217 pellet , So he has to make them larger as they go onto hundreds of platforms and not all are perfectly true and exactly centered ,But the Styer is so I got it so quiet the tree chickens wont hear it comming , Titus and I are ready for battle if the snow melts we got till Feb 28 for squirrels

LOU

0130221158_HDR.1643562727.jpg
0130221201_HDR.1643562728.jpg
donny.1643562732.jpg

index.1643563837.jpg