Steyr Pro X Regulator

Marine06,

They are relatively simple to work on, few parts, the biggest thing that fails is usually the internal orings, or crud gets into it. Most of the time, just a good cleaning will sometimes do it. Soak the regulator in alcohol, then use a cylinder full of air to screw onto the regulator and blow it all out. You can disassemble it, but it's reccomended that you have a regulator tester for it. There's another thread a few pages down from here that was posted a little over a week ago, that might assist you as well.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com

Marine06,

They are relatively simple to work on, few parts, the biggest thing that fails is usually the internal orings, or crud gets into it. Most of the time, just a good cleaning will sometimes do it. Soak the regulator in alcohol, then use a cylinder full of air to screw onto the regulator and blow it all out. You can disassemble it, but it's reccomended that you have a regulator tester for it. There's another thread a few pages down from here that was posted a little over a week ago, that might assist you as well.

Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com
Thanks Tom,
It’s a new rig so likely doesn't need cleaning. According to the gunsmith at Pilkington (where I got the gun) the regulator likely needs to be bumped up a bit. It’s supposed to produce 29.5 ftlbs and the gun won’t cycle semiauto once I hit about 25-26 ftlbs. I can get the additional power but the magazine won’t cycle in a semiauto mode because I have to screw the hammer spring in too much and evidently when the valve stays open too long it affects the cycling. Or something.
So I’m going to loosen up the hammer spring a bit and incrementally unscrew the pressure regulation screw and see if I can sneak up to about 28.5-29 ftlbs. Shouldn’t need to disassemble the regulator. Or at least that’s the plan.
Cheers,
Rod
4F299701-E697-4E6B-9ABC-20D4DDA2084D.jpeg

Rod,
Yes you are correct, but keep in mind, the diagram that you show, at 65 Bar is for a 10 meter air pistol or rifle. My 12 ft.lb Steyr needs 85 bar to operate at that power level, and the guys that use sub 20 ft.lb guns, their regs are set to around 110 Bar or so for the output.
Just a FYI
Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com

What I did, was bought a pair of cheap snap ring expander/contraction tool in plier form and used those. Adjustable, and works great. Not expensive either.
Tom Holland
Field Target Tech
Fieldtargettech.com
I have a set of those and was thinking about trying them but if that two hole screw is tight those pliers might not be able to take much of the twisting force since they’re not made for it. Will give them a try!

Get a set of 1/4" hex driver bits with pin spanner bits!
If you have a friend with a lathe... it is easy to make your Reg tester!
Here is the one I made to service my LP50
Steyr4.jpg

Steyr5.jpg

steyr7.jpg
The snapring pliers actually worked really well, took the reg out, stuck the plier pins in the holes and turned the regulator to unscrew the cap while holding the pliers steady. Fast and easy. I adjusted the pressure regulation screw about 5 times until I found that it either isn’t the regulator or if it is I’m clueless as to how to proceed so I’m returning the rig to Buck at Pilkington to let him sort it. It’s under warranty so they’re paying for all shipping as well as whatever repairs are necessary.
Nice reg tester! Would def like to have one for future repairs/rebuilds but have very few friends as it is and none have lathes so I’m on the lookout for one that’s already made.

Reactions: Ca_Varminter
Nice reg tester! Would def like to have one for future repairs/rebuilds but have very few friends as it is and none have lathes so I’m on the lookout for one that’s already made.
Well the only ones I have see for sale are across the Pond!!
That is why I decided to machine one up.
Brass is easy to work with...
I use my small benchtop lathe, and Taig CNC Mill.....
Toys for my Toys!!
steyr2.jpg
steyr3.jpg

Reactions: MarineO6
When I was working on my Reg tester design....
I Almost went with the Steyr's rectanglar style cutout.... to use their O-ring.
Then realized there was no need CnC that UP!!
So I milled a circular slot to use a standard O-ring I had a bunch of!!!
Yes,
When I was working on my Reg tester design....
I Almost went with the Steyr's rectanglar style cutout.... to use their O-ring.
Then realized there was no need CnC that UP!!
So I milled a circular slot to use a standard O-ring I had a bunch of!!!

Actually the original intention was different to start with, due to this crack line formation. This model Steyr may not be suitable for reg pressure pushing higher; plenum wall are actually thin CNC cut out. Any way I made the wall thicker, longer so more air space plenum (slightly larger plenum then original now) on this grafted 7000g aluminium part, along the way just tap a 1/8bsp and seal plug because enough material was there (i didn't face mill the side of the cylinder like original one but left round as it is). In future I can install a reg guage dial also by just boring the gun chassis the size of Guage OD
IMG_20231009_084508.jpg