Steyr Pro X-How to clean the barrel?

I lube pellets therefore rarely clean barrels but I’ve got a couple thousand rounds through the Pro X and thought I’d clean the barrel to see if it results in better groups. Not that the groups are bad now, just to check.
Problem is I can’t figger out how to clean the barrel as there’s seemingly no was to approach it through the breech.
I suppose I could remove the barrel but that seems like an excessive amount of trouble then I’d have to dial it back in and by that time wouldn’t know if the groups improved (or not) because I cleaned the barrel or because I removed/reinstalled it. Or I could just punch through the muzzle but there‘s still not enough room at the breech to push a brush or patch through.
Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
As far as I know there is no way to clean the Pro-X barrel without removing it fromthe gun. At least I haven’t been able to figure out a way to do it on my Pro-X. I suppose you could push a rod down the barrel from the muzzle end, but this may be a solution that worse than the problem.

I don’t really sweat the issue, since my Pro-X shoots lights out without cleaning so far (I do lube my pellets with a silicone lube).

I don't have any experience with the Pro X but do have experience with the K1, three of them and a LCS. I run a few felt pellets to access the cleanliness of the barel. If warranted to clean the barrel thoroughly I remove the barrel from the action. I scribe a small mark on barrel and action to facilitate realignment. With this method it takes only a few shots to rezero. I lust for a Pro X. It'll be my last and final gun. How many times have we said that.

I don't have any experience with the Pro X but do have experience with the K1, three of them and a LCS. I run a few felt pellets to access the cleanliness of the barel. If warranted to clean the barrel thoroughly I remove the barrel from the action. I scribe a small mark on barrel and action to facilitate realignment. With this method it takes only a few shots to rezero. I lust for a Pro X. It'll be my last and final gun. How many times have we said that.
Not sure if felt pellets would work with a semiauto because of the magazine and I don’t want to risk screwing it up.
The barrels on the Pro X are secured and adjusted with two taper grub screws so the barrel will always line up.
I emailed Ernst at Steyr in Austria, will let y’all know what he says.

And this is actually my last and final airgun…sold a few field target rigs and am having too much fun shooting the FT lanes and other stuff on my property with the Steyr. Put a Dedal Stalker on it and a nice custom stock from Warren Snaith in the UK and a Huggett Astille moderator and it’s as perfect as it’s going to get for me. Great, great setup. Mine’s the Scout…love the bullpup.

I watched some videos as I was not familiar with the rifle. That is a very tiny opening at the breech! Also a very nifty rifle!

Is there enough room at the breech with the magazine removed to reach in from above with long needle nose pliers to push or pull a fairly thin weedeater line pull through bore cleaner out the top of the mag opening?

You could also use a trick I have used before to get lines through tubing.....use some fairly thick braided fishing line with a loop on the end and suck the other end through the bore by placing a shop vac hose on the muzzle. You could use an L shaped piece of heavy wire or an allen wrench with a smooth notch in it, to hold the fishing line or the weadeater cord centered on the bore as you pull the line through from the muzzle, to prevent any chance of it abrading the breech opening.

Reactions: MarineO6
Last edited:
I tired the felt pellets again.

I had some Air Venturi felts in .22 that worked very well in my Hunting 5 Auto.

The Pardini felts in .177 didn't work so well. I'm going to order some of the VFG brand and see how those work out.

The picture below show the felts after they were shot. It's hard to see any lead on the Pardini felts.

IMG_1133.jpeg