Steyr Steyr Pro X honest experience

Got my Christmas gift 🎁 early this year. I have to say it's a fun rifle, the semiautomatic feature adds to the fun appeal, but it wasn't a perfect journey as all the youtube reviews lead me to believe it would be, or perhaps I haven't made the correct offering to the PCP air rifle gods... Here is the good and not so good list:

The good 😁:
  • Beautiful looks, the fit and finish is flawless but for nearly $3 large it better be.
  • The trigger is excellent
  • Very compact fits in my rifle backpack.
  • Shoots Crossman 14gr pellets fairly accurately making rapid fire shots cheaper, but the JSB 18gr and 15gr pellets are the most accurate.
  • Low 200bar fill with around 60 shots per fill. This is a great rifle for a hand pump.
The not so good 😕:
  • The initial 30ish shots out of the box were consistent within 10fps spread. Then the gun started to gradually get very inconsistent with spreads in the 20fps. After 10 shots from a fresh fill the velocity would increase like the rifle was wasn't regulated.
    • Upon searching the internet I found that I am not the only owner experiencing this phenomenon, and before someone makes a comment regarding the pellet fitment in the magazine this happened consistently with 5 different high quality pellet brands.
    • I thought after putting a tin of pellets through it the belville washers in the regulator would start cooperating but no... so I inspected the regulator o rings and they looked to be fine, I then polished the mating surfaces of the belvile washers and then reassembled the regulator, and now the regulator is working with extreme spreads around 10fps.
  • The reported pop by the magazine/your ear is there. I read about this on many of the UK 🇬🇧 reviews and yep it was loud and uncomfortable 😐.
    • The pop is due to air escaping from gaps between the magazine and the barrel and the transfer port as there is no o-rings or bushing to close the gap, unlike the Leshiy 2's red transfer port bushing.
    • You can adjust the barel clearance by adjusting the two rear set screws.The rear screw pulls the barrel towards the magazine and the forward one pulls the barrel forward. It's a balancing act to find the optimal clearance that won't cause the magazine to jam.
    • After adjusting the clearance the pop was significantly reduced but it's still there, but not painfully loud as it's inherent to the design.
    • Just know you will only experience the pop with a loaded magazine as the backpreasure of the pellet causes the air to escape.
  • The magazine is under an incredible amount of spring tension. If you wind the magazine in the rifle !!!DO NOT!!! press the unwind lever with out holding the magazine to slow down the rotation, you will bend the pins that keep the spring tension, as I have done. I was able to straighten them out but what a pain.
So the rifle is now working well and is a ton of fun and I believe it is of heirloom quality. Perhaps it's just my bad luck, but it's my honest experience. I just want to put this out there so people know it may not be all rainbows and unicorns, like the youtube reviews lead you to believe, and now there is a reference for those that may have a similar experience.

20231220_155216.jpg

View attachment 20231220_155036.jpg

Got my Christmas gift 🎁 early this year. I have to say it's a fun rifle, the semiautomatic feature adds to the fun appeal, but it wasn't a perfect journey as all the youtube reviews lead me to believe it would be, or perhaps I haven't made the correct offering to the PCP air rifle gods... Here is the good and not so good list:

The good 😁:
  • Beautiful looks, the fit and finish is flawless but for nearly $3 large it better be.
  • Shoots Crossman 14gr pellets fairly accurately making rapid fire shots cheaper, but the JSB 18gr and 15gr pellets are the most accurate.
  • Low 200bar fill with around 60 shots per fill. This is a great rifle for a hand pump.
The not so good 😕:
  • The initial 30ish shots out of the box were consistent within 10fps spread. Then the gun started to gradually get very inconsistent with spreads in the 20fps. After 10 shots from a fresh fill the velocity would increase like the rifle was wasn't regulated.
    • Upon searching the internet I found that I am not the only owner experiencing this phenomenon, and before someone makes a comment regarding the pellet fitment in the magazine this happened consistently with 5 different high quality pellet brands.
    • I thought after putting a tin of pellets through it the belville washers in the regulator would start cooperating but no... so I inspected the regulator o rings and they looked to be fine, I then polished the mating surfaces of the belvile washers and then reassembled the regulator, and now the regulator is working with extreme spreads around 10fps.
  • The reported pop by the magazine/your ear is there. I read about this on many of the UK 🇬🇧 reviews and yep it was loud and uncomfortable 😐.
    • The pop is due to air escaping from gaps between the magazine and the barrel and the transfer port as there is no o-rings or bushing to close the gap, unlike the Leshiy 2's red transfer port bushing.
    • You can adjust the barel clearance by adjusting the two rear set screws.The rear screw pulls the barrel towards the magazine and the forward one pulls the barrel forward. It's a balancing act to find the optimal clearance that won't cause the magazine to jam.
    • After adjusting the clearance the pop was significantly reduced but it's still there, but not painfully loud as it's inherent to the design.
    • Just know you will only experience the pop with a loaded magazine as the backpreasure of the pellet causes the air to escape.
  • The magazine is under an incredible amount of spring tension. If you wind the magazine in the rifle !!!DO NOT!!! press the unwind lever with out holding the magazine to slow down the rotation, you will bend the pins that keep the spring tension, as I have done. I was able to straighten them out but what a pain.
So the rifle is now working well and is a ton of fun and I believe it is of heirloom quality. Perhaps it's just my bad luck, but it's my honest experience. I just want to put this out there so people know it may not be all rainbows and unicorns, like the youtube reviews lead you to believe, and now there is a reference for those that may have a similar experience.

View attachment 418243

View attachment 418244
Seeing your EMTB is what coaxed me over to get one 4 years ago, FYI. I absolutely love mine, well I have two of them and my wife has one also.

I think my ProX could use a expert tune because the POI wanders a bit depending where it is in the fill. Then there's ear pop. And the weight of these guns.

Other than the perceived downsides its a pretty awesome gun! I haven't regretted buying it. A more fun airgun I haven't found yet for sheer speed on steel.
One time myself and two friends were plinking on steel shapes. Some were larger 4"x4" square knockovers at 120Y. Using 18's in my ProX the semiauto feature made it possible to get four in a row before the windy conditions changed enough to miss off to the side. The other guys with Redwolf's weren't near as successful as the afternoon wore on.

After all there's only a few airguns out of 20 or so that I've felt were worthy of non regret so this one is nice enough to keep until something else comes along that would meet my need better.

Reactions: jakeb

The good 😁:
The not so good 😕:

View attachment 418243

View attachment 418244
Thanks for the warning on letting the magazine slip free and damage the spring!
Love my Pro X more and more but for a while, POI varied until I cleaned(de-leaded) the barrel with a pull thru instead of Cotten cleaning pellets. Never had any problems otherwise in 2000+ shots!

Reactions: cavedweller
Had my Pro X going on a year now and like most all PCP airguns it took a while to get to know it and tweak it here and there, I polished the barrel on mine reset the "gap" between the mag and barrel (was easy) and tweaked the hammer spring for reliability, fps ended up at 875 with JSB 18s, these tweeks were simple noninvasive standard operating procedures...this gun reminded me of a sewing machine and the less it's messed with the better...Wasn't any more difficult to tune/break in than my Veteran to the degree that I'm satisified with its preformamce. Last time I shot it off the onboard
1000001907.jpg
1000001910.jpg
1000001911.jpg
bipod and rear bag on a plastic table which isn't the most stable...Five 10 shot (entire mag) groups two at 30 yards and three at 45 yards measured distance with JSB 18 gr. pellets. Many say the trigger is great but I'll take the Veteran trigger all day long BUT I also will take these quility groups at their respective ranges out of a semi auto any day...has better in it too...these were just average fun shoot groups....Fun gun to plink with! They are a little heavy.

Love my Pro X more and more but for a while, POI varied until I cleaned(de-leaded) the barrel with a pull thru instead of Cotten cleaning pellets. Never had any problems otherwise in 2000+ shots!
I too did notice after about 200-300 shots the POI does start to wander but after a barrel cleaning it is back to good. I do wonder if a bore polish would help.

Reactions: jakeb
Seeing your EMTB is what coaxed me over to get one 4 years ago, FYI. I absolutely love mine, well I have two of them and my wife has one also.

I think my ProX could use a expert tune because the POI wanders a bit depending where it is in the fill. Then there's ear pop. And the weight of these guns.

Other than the perceived downsides its a pretty awesome gun! I haven't regretted buying it. A more fun airgun I haven't found yet for sheer speed on steel.
One time myself and two friends were plinking on steel shapes. Some were larger 4"x4" square knockovers at 120Y. Using 18's in my ProX the semiauto feature made it possible to get four in a row before the windy conditions changed enough to miss off to the side. The other guys with Redwolf's weren't near as successful as the afternoon wore on.

After all there's only a few airguns out of 20 or so that I've felt were worthy of non regret so this one is nice enough to keep until something else comes along that would meet my need better.
Awesome, I hope you're still riding. I also have a redwolf HP and it's an accurate gun but way too long for a bike and shoot. I find I shoot the Steyer and the Leshiy 2 the most because they're relatively short and they fit in a backpack really well making for an easier ride.

Last edited:
Appreciate the report on this air rifle. I have thought I wanted one since they first came out. I had the Hunter Auto 5 Scout and found it to be a great rifle, but a bit touchy when reattaching the barrel if I removed it for cleaning. I also tightened the spring too much and deformed it and new ones were pretty salty. However, all that was my fault.

I like the idea that this rifle can be hand pumped because I sold my tank and PCPs when I got sick of a $2,000 compressor malfunctioning.

I doubt if I will get one of these because of the price. Steyr used to be somewhat affordable when I bought from Krale. Now that the US suppliers are making 50% + profit....

Tru Dat ^
IMG_6837.jpeg

The good 😁:
The not so good 😕:

View attachment 418243

View attachment 418244

Awesome, I hope you're still riding. I also have a redwolf HP and it's an accurate gun but way too long for a bike and shoot. I find I shoot the Steyer and the Leshiy 2 the most because they're it relatively short and fit in a backpack really well making for an easier ride.
Merry Christmas!

I sold my RW for that reason and a few others.

A bit cold this month so I haven't rode in weeks but I'll get back at it when it warms up some.