Steyr Pro X First Shoot.

New to me Steyr Pro X .22 first time out, thought I would post my initial impressions concerning this platform and may add a few questions just talking out loud. The Pro X came to me with a reported 300 pellets through it in pristine condition. I cleaned the barrel with a small OD pull through with a soft loop and just used a tweezers to pull the loop out of the mag area wasn't an issue, was easy. This gun is going to eat CP domes and HPs plus JSB 18s 'cause that's what I have inmass, may get a box of slugs down the road for kicks...often said I wouldn't. I Mounted an Athlon 4 X 16 X 40 on the high rail...good for me cause I have a plate in my neck...
First two shots went in same hole 4-5" high one more shot to get on target...first 7 shots for effect penny size @ 30ys. with 18s @ 820ish. I read a thread recently "Styer Pro X Greatest trigger ever" no offense but it's not even close to my Veteran, it needs adjusting and it is holding this gun back, need a couple tins first and see if any improvement. Any one address this issue please chime in! The CP domes and JSB 18s were tight in the MAGs used two different MAGs, these pellets I used will not fall out from normal handling...precision items for sure ( As a retired machinist I can appreciate the workmanship and engineering) care must be taken NOT TO DROP THESE MAGS on hard or any surface would certainly trash 'em...my stroke numbed hands I'm extra careful they are slippery! Wind was an issue but the day was for familiarization much as anything. Accuracy was mediocre with couple fliers per mag, however the Pro X did show flashes of brilliance often 3-4 in same hole and seems to like higher fps...the domes really shined at times at 930! The HSA had a good range just like my Veteran but the Vet shot well at lower fps range also. No functioning issues but the noise issue under ear is real, worse with heavier pellets...ear plug no issue for me. Put close to 200 down range 60 shots at least per fill think will do more...love the 200b operating pressure. Cleaned bbl after shoot,
20230106_083315.jpg
considering fliers and how dirty it was seem like it may need polishing...TBD...
The build quility I would call "professional grade" like the Veteran for lack of a better term...the huddled masses considered "hobby or sports grade" IMHO. The Pro X is a FINE FINE piece of technology...I'm in! Only on very rare occasions have I had all a gun can offer the first time out, my Rapid 12 comes to mind, more testing to come and I'm not worried about this one at all...gunna' be fun...oh and I didn't do any mag dumps yet.
20230104_090811.jpg

A couple of guys at the range have Steyr Pro X's with short (520mm) and standard (650mm) barrel versions. We did a comparison and the noise issue or "pop" under the ear is much quieter on the Steyr Pro X Scout, 520mm Barrel, shooting JSB 13.43gr @ 940.

Whereas the Steyr Pro X, 650mm Barrel, shooting JSB 18.3gr @ 830 is painful and require earplugs. The JSB 13.43gr improved accuracy and reduced that "pop" under the ear to a tolerable level.

This is what Ernst from Steyr told me to use in my Scout. And he was right. The 14.35s were lights out at 50 yds when compared to a lot of others, including the 13.43s up to 18gr. So I sold all the others and put in a stock of 14.35s.
Makes things easy!

Jumbo Exact 13.43gr and the Express in 14.35gr
Both are good
Ernst Franz Huber
Serviceleitung / Chief Technical Service
STEYR SPORT GmbH

New to me Steyr Pro X .22 first time out, thought I would post my initial impressions concerning this platform and may add a few questions just talking out loud. The Pro X came to me with a reported 300 pellets through it in pristine condition. I cleaned the barrel with a small OD pull through with a soft loop and just used a tweezers to pull the loop out of the mag area wasn't an issue, was easy. This gun is going to eat CP domes and HPs plus JSB 18s 'cause that's what I have inmass, may get a box of slugs down the road for kicks...often said I wouldn't. I Mounted an Athlon 4 X 16 X 40 on the high rail...good for me cause I have a plate in my neck...
First two shots went in same hole 4-5" high one more shot to get on target...first 7 shots for effect penny size @ 30ys. with 18s @ 820ish. I read a thread recently "Styer Pro X Greatest trigger ever" no offense but it's not even close to my Veteran, it needs adjusting and it is holding this gun back, need a couple tins first and see if any improvement. Any one address this issue please chime in! The CP domes and JSB 18s were tight in the MAGs used two different MAGs, these pellets I used will not fall out from normal handling...precision items for sure ( As a retired machinist I can appreciate the workmanship and engineering) care must be taken NOT TO DROP THESE MAGS on hard or any surface would certainly trash 'em...my stroke numbed hands I'm extra careful they are slippery! Wind was an issue but the day was for familiarization much as anything. Accuracy was mediocre with couple fliers per mag, however the Pro X did show flashes of brilliance often 3-4 in same hole and seems to like higher fps...the domes really shined at times at 930! The HSA had a good range just like my Veteran but the Vet shot well at lower fps range also. No functioning issues but the noise issue under ear is real, worse with heavier pellets...ear plug no issue for me. Put close to 200 down range 60 shots at least per fill think will do more...love the 200b operating pressure. Cleaned bbl after shoot,View attachment 320592 considering fliers and how dirty it was seem like it may need polishing...TBD...
The build quility I would call "professional grade" like the Veteran for lack of a better term...the huddled masses considered "hobby or sports grade" IMHO. The Pro X is a FINE FINE piece of technology...I'm in! Only on very rare occasions have I had all a gun can offer the first time out, my Rapid 12 comes to mind, more testing to come and I'm not worried about this one at all...gunna' be fun...oh and I didn't do any mag dumps yet.View attachment 320607
Steyr second shoot results...
Started with clean barrel and a mag that I polished the bores with #7 polishing compound...shot 15 pellets 1-1/2 MAGs, results not to my standards...I cleaned the barrel again after 15 pellets just to see what it looked like...HORRIBLE! After 15 shots!!! Enough is enough...I removed the barrel and polished it using my patented procedure and good old #7 polishing compound...the barrel had two set screws holding it, cone shaped at the bottom, that located in corsponding detents in the barrel....I was told and or heard somewhere that one screw was at an angle to fine adjust to location of barrel to mag clearence...I didn't see it...just plugged it back in and tightened 'em back down...no drama at all...if a barrel EVER needed polishing this one did and looked great when I finished. Using the polished mag and the newly polished bore my first 5 shots with JSB 18s printed a 3/8 group right on zero at 30 y, guess the barrel locating system worked...no test shots or leading...first 5 shots...think I'm on to something...I was tired and shaking from the barrel polishing. I finished that mag and shot another with CP domes in an unpolished mag wasn't great but I was too tired to care, however upon cleaning the barrel after 20 shots...clean clean clean!!! The two groups, one on the right is 5 shots out of polishes mag before barrel polishing with 18s, left is after polishing polished mag 18s...
20230109_163013.jpg
20230109_162639.jpg
first 5 shots! More testing to come. We're getting there!

A couple of guys at the range have Steyr Pro X's with short (520mm) and standard (650mm) barrel versions. We did a comparison and the noise issue or "pop" under the ear is much quieter on the Steyr Pro X Scout, 520mm Barrel, shooting JSB 13.43gr @ 940.

Whereas the Steyr Pro X, 650mm Barrel, shooting JSB 18.3gr @ 830 is painful and require earplugs. The JSB 13.43gr improved accuracy and reduced that "pop" under the ear to a tolerable level.

The "noise issue" is good information here.

Steyr second shoot results...
Started with clean barrel and a mag that I polished the bores with #7 polishing compound...shot 15 pellets 1-1/2 MAGs, results not to my standards...I cleaned the barrel again after 15 pellets just to see what it looked like...HORRIBLE! After 15 shots!!! Enough is enough...I removed the barrel and polished it using my patented procedure and good old #7 polishing compound...the barrel had two set screws holding it, cone shaped at the bottom, that located in corsponding detents in the barrel....I was told and or heard somewhere that one screw was at an angle to fine adjust to location of barrel to mag clearence...I didn't see it...just plugged it back in and tightened 'em back down...no drama at all...if a barrel EVER needed polishing this one did and looked great when I finished. Using the polished mag and the newly polished bore my first 5 shots with JSB 18s printed a 3/8 group right on zero at 30 y, guess the barrel locating system worked...no test shots or leading...first 5 shots...think I'm on to something...I was tired and shaking from the barrel polishing. I finished that mag and shot another with CP domes in an unpolished mag wasn't great but I was too tired to care, however upon cleaning the barrel after 20 shots...clean clean clean!!! The two groups, one on the right is 5 shots out of polishes mag before barrel polishing with 18s, left is after polishing polished mag 18s...View attachment 321679View attachment 321678 first 5 shots! More testing to come. We're getting there!
Ended up at 840 with 70 shots per fill...trigger is improving as expected accuracy wise I can't do any better with the equient I've got...I adjusted barrel/mag gap and the noise improved somewhat. Nice gun there is no doupt
20230124_181453.jpg
...A keeper for sure .
20230124_174530.jpg

Reactions: rigbymauser
Hmm, I keep thinking about this gun.
Having trouble making up my mind ! Yeah, the mind is a terrible thing to waste !

Mike
I have 4 steyrs all in all, the Hunting 5 SA, the Pro X 10, the Steyr Hunting Challenge FT and the LP50 HP pistol.... all fine pieces, alas FT has taken away all my Steyr time except for the Hunting Challenge FT... and their all sitting in the safe begging to plug some holes in something.

I have 4 steyrs all in all, the Hunting 5 SA, the Pro X 10, the Steyr Hunting Challenge FT and the LP50 HP pistol.... all fine pieces, alas FT has taken away all my Steyr time except for the Hunting Challenge FT... and their all sitting in the safe begging to plug some holes in something.
I do have an LP50 Sport.
Yes, fine pistol, works great. Fine bit of design and manufacturing.

Only problem,,,being a semi-auto, the gun keeps running out of air in the middle of a shoot. How do I fix that ?????

Mike

Reactions: cavedweller
I do have an LP50 Sport.
Yes, fine pistol, works great. Fine bit of design and manufacturing.

Only problem,,,being a semi-auto, the gun keeps running out of air in the middle of a shoot. How do I fix that ?????

Mike
just have to learn how many mags you can empty before refilling or swapping bottles. You can always buy extra bottles and swap rather than stopping to charge... or just slow down and enjoy the air in and air out mind set.

Ended up at 840 with 70 shots per fill...trigger is improving as expected accuracy wise I can't do any better with the equient I've got...I adjusted barrel/mag gap and the noise improved somewhat. Nice gun there is no douptView attachment 340975...A keeper for sure .View attachment 340972
it would be almost impossible to machine a practicle tolerance that didn't dump some air (thus noise) on blow through mags, rotary or straight across. i suppose a silicon lip of some sort might help? the Challenge Hunting FT uses a type of foam around the breech seal "but" it is not a blow through magazine.

Hmm, I keep thinking about this gun.
Having trouble making up my mind ! Yeah, the mind is a terrible thing to waste !

Mike

it would be almost impossible to machine a practicle tolerance that didn't dump some air (thus noise) on blow through mags, rotary or straight across. i suppose a silicon lip of some sort might help? the Challenge Hunting FT uses a type of foam around the breech seal "but" it is not a blow through magazine.
For one mag or in a hunting situation it's not an issue but for an all day shoot I will use ear plugs...your ear is just so darn close to the gap! No gun is perfect but I've yet to have a jam or a misfire that wasn't my fault not seating pellets below flush...I learned that early on. Most surprising so far is how well this Pro X shoots at 50 yards...way to windy to streach it out further lately with all the fronts comming through my area...80yd will be next.