Steyr LP50 Pellet recommendation

The closest thing to a sure bet is the JSB 8.4gr or 7.3gr or the Air Arms equivalents. They group great from cheap guns and expensive ones. No doubt the LP50 is at the bottom end of the power spectrum for squirrels but it has enough if the placement is into the brain. The lowest I've gone on gray squirrels is 6fpe at the muzzle for a 30 yard shot, which is just a shade over 4fpe on target. That does the trick but placement has to be into the brain. And yes, a dome will penetrate much better than a wadcutter at this low velocity.

Wadcutters are phenomenal for pest control so long as they have sufficient speed to penetrate. That may be what you're running into. On that topic, here's a short clip showing an example of a wadcutter at 8fpe muzzle / 4.6fpe on target. I always feel compelled to point out I don't recommend this arrangement because it is not forgiving of shot placement, but just proof that it will get the job done with proper placement.

https://youtu.be/TMC04JPmWns

The closest thing to a sure bet is the JSB 8.4gr or 7.3gr or the Air Arms equivalents. They group great from cheap guns and expensive ones. No doubt the LP50 is at the bottom end of the power spectrum for squirrels but it has enough if the placement is into the brain. The lowest I've gone on gray squirrels is 6fpe at the muzzle for a 30 yard shot, which is just a shade over 4fpe on target. That does the trick but placement has to be into the brain. And yes, a dome will penetrate much better than a wadcutter at this low velocity.

Wadcutters are phenomenal for pest control so long as they have sufficient speed to penetrate. That may be what you're running into. On that topic, here's a short clip showing an example of a wadcutter at 8fpe muzzle / 4.6fpe on target. I always feel compelled to point out I don't recommend this arrangement because it is not forgiving of shot placement, but just proof that it will get the job done with proper placement.

https://youtu.be/TMC04JPmWns

I've tried the wad cutters at point blank range on dead squirrels and the pellet doesn't penetrate the hide but the pellet is significantly dented. It will however penetrate the top of the skull at point blank range and I assume it will at distance. I have found that the wad cutters will bury themselves into a 2x4 at 20 yards so I'm hoping that something pointy will do the trick. I do have a LP10 and all of the pellets I mentioned easily fit into that, but it's open sights and set for 10m competition so I'm reluctant to mess around with it. The LP10 seems to have a bit more zing than the LP50 but I don't have a chrono so I can't say for sure. Thanks for your input. - Paul

I have not shot squirrels with the Lp50, but I have shot African land snails that are an imported plague here in Brazil and the LP50 does not have the grunt to penetrate the shells of the larger ones...

I have cronod my Lp50 and it does about 5 joules with match pellets, I cannot get it to go much higher .

I have shot squirrels in my native Europe and I would say that the Lp50 is not strong enough to humanly dispatch. Squirrels are tough for their size.

The RWS Superdome is a great pellets for lower powered guns.

*I am of course referring here to the standard LP50, not the high power version.

I shot the JSB 8.4's out of my LP5 and they were just as accurate as R10's. 

When I first got the pistol I was reading the instructions in my truck when a crow landed right there in front of me 10 yards away. Knowing the pistol wasn't all that powerful I fired all 5 shots as fast as I could, crow was DRT. I've had a lot of experience firing a pistol fast from IPSC so it was super easy shooting this pistol, lacking the recoil of a combat pistol.

Haha, I pictured you exclaiming to the crow, “Say hello to my little friend!” before you filled him with lead.

Must not have been the brightest crow. Around here they only come near humans in public places, and they stay high up except when in remote areas absent of people.

Yeah, I was in the parking lot of a golf course, lol, they were in a vacant area just beyond and the crows were used to people being around. I couldn't resist!

I remember on the farm how friggen smart crows were. You could walk around outside all day long and they would be sitting up in the gum trees laughing at you but the minute you picked up a shot gun they were off in a flash. On occasion I could vaporize a few with a .222 at 200 meters but they quickly figured that out too and I had to be stealthy. Darn smart birds!!

Hi Steve, thanks for reaching out but I use my LP50 as a training aid for NRA Bullseye shooting. I bought mine from Krale in the Netherlands and they shipped it out within a week. The price was pretty good.

Cheer

Unfortunately, Krale will no longer sell/ship Steyr air guns to the US. Buying used is a good alternative if you can't choke down the price from the US sellers. The LP50's come up for sale occasionally, TargetTalk is a good place to find them. 

Paul, do you have the compact or full size barrel on your LP50? My full size (not HP) came from the factory shooting a 7.72 JSB match wadcutter at 524 fps, or 4.72 ft #'s. Velocity is easily increased and I believe you could get to 6 ft #'s + if you wanted with a full size. The AA or JSB 7.33 domed shoot exceptionally well from my pistol. I can walk you thru the velocity adjustments if you want. Not saying this is the best answer for pesting as a bullpup or carbine would be better, and you would be getting a new toy!

I often shoot air pistol silhouette from 10-20 yards and have no problem with knock down at the power level described above.

Regards,

Nick 

1594312334_78099805f07468ee2e162.53424226.JPG

Steve,

I'm bummed to hear that Krale are no longer exporting. I've lusted after a new Steyr EVO for competition 10m but the truth of the matter is that I can't shoot as well as my LP10 can perform.

The https://www.bullseyeforum.net/ is another venue where you might find a LP50's for sale.

Nick, I have the LP50 compact. I went with this model because I wanted to emulate my Walther GSP that I use for Bulls Eye competition. Pilkguns will convert mine to an LP50 HP for $50. Apparently some of the latter models are easy to upgrade. Unless you know differently I believe that there is more to it than just adjusting the regulator.

Cheers, Paul