Steyr LP5 Cycle Issues

I am trying out my buddies LP5. It is the PCP version. It has sat for several years. I shot it at the range yesterday and couldn't get it to cycle, if that is the correct term. I loaded the magazine with 5 rounds. The 1st round fired but the magazine didn't advance. I had to manually cock the pistol to have the magazine advance. The same thing happened every shot. I tried 5 different pellet brands and 2 different magazines and 2 different cylinders. No dice.

After about 50 rounds it would occasionally cycle the 2nd round and the 3rd would fire, but not regularly. Sometimes three shots would work, but mainly every shot had to be cocked. shot over 100 rounds and only once did all 5 work.

The manual doesn't address this. I am seeking input from the Olympic pistol crowd, but figured someone here might have in sight, Thanks.

Mike

It may be the o-rings in the cycling mechanics that have dried out and settled after several years of no use. The first thing I would do is to put a couple of drops of silicone oil to the tip of the regulator, to get some lube into the internals, when you attach the air cylinder. I do this to my 5-shot pistols every time I fill up the cylinders, and they have worked reliable for many years. Also check that the magazine is moving freely in its slot. 

Helmet, I have tried both suggestions. I mainly put the silicone oil on the o ring, but I will try a dab on the tip. I also cleaned and dried the magazines and made sure there are no burrs and all pellets are seated flush.There are no obstruction or debris in the magazine "chamber". I will let you know about the oil tip. It feels more like a mechanical issue but I can't pinpoint it.

Mike

The o-rings in the regulator may also be dry and settled, so silicone oil on the regulator tip is the best way to get oil in to all the internal o-rings. The trigger mechanics may be out of adjustment, or the screw for housing and/or the bolt spring tenssion screw may be turned in too far. But if the pistol worked fine before it was put away I suspect lack of lube to be the culprit.

Helmet, by all reports it worked well when put away awhile ago [several years] so I think the trigger adjustment is ok. I tried the silicone on the tip suggestion and shot about 50 rounds. nothing. it might take awhile for the silicone to get to the internals so I will continue to shoot and see if that does it. the magazine does move partially to the left after a shot but I need to slightly cock it for the magazine to move the final bit into battery.

Any suggestions as to the best smith to sort this out if the lube effort doesn't work?

Mike

If luberiacting the internals won't make any difference, and the gun worked well when put away, it's probably one or more of the o-rings that are damaged. I would start by replacing the two o-rings on the regulator piston (ø3x1.5mm and ø8.92x1.83mm, ø9x1.8mm will also work) and the o-ring on the valve house piston (I don't remeber the size of this o-ring, but I think it is either ø4x1.5mm or ø5x1.5mm). Since this is an LP5 I guess there is an o-ring on the valve house piston, but somewhere along the way towards the LP50, this o-ring was replaced with a teflon split ring, probably to make the gun less sensitive to wear and lubrication). Also be aware of the screw for housing, that is not supposed to be flush with the housing, but rather to be turned 1 turn out from flush. Se picture below. If this screw is turn to far in, the gun won't cycle.

1575203087_21471061935de3b10fcac752.29926515_LP50 housing screw.jpg

As for suggested smiths, I'm not located in the US, so I can only suggest to contact Steyr in the US for professional help.

Helmet, I think you are probably correct that the problem is related to o rings. I have the gun on trial and I am reluctant to open it up. I will call Scott Pilkinton tomorrow. If he is not available I will contact Steyr US.

You have been very helpful. Thank you for being so generous with your time and knowledge. I like the pistol but am at a dead end at this point.

Mike

IcySwan1, My LPS was doing the same thing and AZ explained to me that by adjusting two screws I could move the barrel making more room for the magbazine. I did it and it worked great. Sorry but I don’t remember exactly which screw moves the barrel. It’s definitely fixable, I’d call AZ and ask him. He does great work too, top notch. Wish I could help more (or remember better)!! Good luck.

IcySwan1, My LPS was doing the same thing and AZ explained to me that by adjusting two screws I could move the barrel making more room for the magbazine. I did it and it worked great. Sorry but I don’t remember exactly which screw moves the barrel. It’s definitely fixable, I’d call AZ and ask him. He does great work too, top notch. Wish I could help more (or remember better)!! Good luck.

Yes, these two screws are the set screws that are located on top in front of the housing. They are used to fix the barrel to the housing, and you can adjust the gap between the barrel and the magazine by turning them. First you put the magazine all the way into the slot, then tighten the rear screw a bit. Then you will experience the magazine will not index or move at all. Then you tighten the front screw until the magazine moves freely. But by OPs description, this is not the problem as the magazine seems to be moving freely, but will not index when the trigger is pulled. But worth a try never the less.

Although I couldn't fix the problem, even with all the great assistance provided here, the story does have a happy ending. I sent the pistol to Pilkington. All the seals and the valve were replaced. It now works great and I am happy with it. I am using it for Bullseye practice.

After all the kind advice I wanted to let everyone the outcome.

Happy New Year to all.

Mike

Thanks for the update. Those 5-shoot pistols are too much fun to not to be kept in good, healthy state. Just remember to put a drop of silicone oil on the regulator tip for everytime you open a new tin of pellets (500 rds), and it will most likely serve you well for years to come. I bought mine in the early ninetys. I have replaced some o-rings, but that's about it, and it still shots like a dream.

Happy New Year! :)