Steyr LP1

There's one of these at a local auction house. I have a pcp rifle but thought it might be fun to have a pistol to plink indoors with -- I'm not a collector or know how to work on pcp's in general. I can't shoot it so don't even know if it works and given its age, I assume getting parts or having it repaired would make it uneconomic if it goes for more than a couple hundred bucks. I'm not even sure it is a pcp! Am I better off to leave well enough alone?

Steyr LP1.1631287911.JPG

Price? I believe it is a great target pistol.Shooting a pistol good takes a lot of practice.My opinion is your better off getting a cheaper good shooting pistol to see if you even like pistol shooting,that said if you can get it ,say under $500 you could always get your money back....now that is my guess and others my differ...

I haven't posted in MONTHS but know a little about these so thought I would share.

On price, I wouldn't expect it be anywhere near current prices for used LP2's unless there is a crowd that finds these collectable (or are simple uninformed).

On parts, there are certainly some differences as models mature and I don't know for sure but I'd bet 'most' modern small parts would still fit. Obvious exceptions would be the block and loading gate and the co2 and or compressed air adapter. Yes they can (could) easily be swapped from one to the other with the right adapter but they are/were different cylinders. Bulk filling a co2 cylinder isn't an expensive undertaking but you'd need the stuff to do it.

That said, using Steyr model names, new - the LP1 was CO2, the LP1P was compressed air. 

I'd pass. If you want to explore basement shooting, start with a 1377 or a P17 until your convinced one way or the other. I shoot my LP2 for a couple hours a day if I'm bored but I'm only okay on target. Results at target are not $1000 better than I get with my P17, but I still choose the LP2 first.

The first Steyr LP1s were Co2 guns, later models were PCP. I'm pretty sure the lettering on the side of the ass-end of the chamber tube saying "Steyr Air" denotes it a PCP, but I'm not certain about that. If I could read more lettering on the chamber tube I could tell you for sure. It certainly looks like a Steyr LP1 PCP I owned; well, before Alan Zasadny and my modifications.

LP1 FT rig.1631338467.JPG

It's in too nice condition to need anything more than resealing, if even that. I believe Pilkington Airguns could do that; maybe others too. That being the case, if it is PCP rather than Co2 it's worth $500 to $1000, depending on whether or not it leaks.