Steyr LP 10 Compact Problem...Fixed

Nation, 

Today, while shooting a NRA Air Pistol Sectional, my gun failed into the shoot, and did not get to finish due to the failure.

Gun was shooting fine, and the next shot when I pulled the trigger, all I got was a "click" from the sear. There was no other action. When I cocked the cocking lever upward, to open the bolt, there was no spring pressure on the lever, but the sear engaged with the trigger. Normally, when the bolt is open, and the trigger is pulled, the lever, under spring pressure, flies forward, allowing a dry fire shot, with no air release. This no longer happens. When the bolt is opened, there is no spring pressure present. When the trigger is pulled, with the bolt open, the sear clicks, and disengages the bolt, but the bolt no longer goes forward under spring pressure. There is no more spring pressure on the cocking lever at all.

Hope someone can guide me, as I've never had this gun apart in the 8 years that I have had it. I'm not afraid to take it apart, I am rather versed in tearing down and reassembling my Steyr LG 110FT rifle, so I am familiar with the platform. I am just looking for an idea what to look for, before I even start the disassembly of said LP 10 

Thanks in advance 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

One of the things Steyr does best is providing service movies for all of their sporting weapons. You can find complete take down videos, here-

https://steyr-sport.com/en/service-movies

I usually just send my pistols to Pilk guns for repair, and routine maintenance. They have a quick turn around, good prices, and are easy to deal with. They are where everyone else in the USA sends Steyr/Morini pistols for factory service.

http://www.pilkguns.com/repairs/

Deacon,

I have watched those videos repeatedly, they show how to disassemble and reassemble the gun to good effect. I'm trying to diagnose what part is out of place, or possibly (probably) broken, before I take it apart, so I have an idea what to look for.

I have a shooting friend that is a factory Steyr service technician, and I'll be able to get whatever parts I need from him. I'm in an area where sending an airgun in the mail is not possible, so I'll just have to fix it myself. As I mentioned above, I'm well familiar with the LG 110FT rifle version. 

Thanks for your advice and guidance, 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

Have you taken the grip out for a quick visual inspection?

- As in, nothing getting in the way... that would cause the pistol to be stuck in dry-firing mode?

If you're ok to tear-down your LG110, you ought to be OK with the LP10

- Just get the exploded view, and compare

https://www.steyr-sport.com/en/downloads/steyr-air-pistols/parts-lists-with-exploded-views/77-steyr-lp-10-lp-10-compact-2/file

You could also post the same question on TargetTalk, or send a query to Steyr (I've used this address [email protected] and get a reply from one of the service guy within a day or so)

Mike, 

I haven't had the time to take it apart, just want to gather as much info before I start.

It's not really stuck in dry fire mode, it doesn't fire when it should. In dry fire mode normally, there is spring pressure on the cocking lever, both forward and back. In my case, there is no spring pressure at all. It seems that it is either a broken or out of place hammer spring, or a broken hammer/striker.

I plan on taking it apart tomorrow, I'll keep everyone posted on what I find. 

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com 

Nation, 

Turns out that the grub screw that locks the velocity adjusting screw and bushing, backed itself out to the point the entire bushing popped out the back. Pushed it back in, and tightened up said grub screw. It now fires. I'll have to check the velocity, it might need some tweaking. Easy fix, plus no broken parts!!!!

Tom Holland 

Field Target Tech 

Fieldtargettech.com