• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Steyr LG 110 HFT Hunting ?

Hey!

After many weeks of lurking/reading/searching for a new air rifle, the Steyr LG HFT always seems to comes up my <logical> choice...
lg110_hp_hunt_ft.jpg

What my check-list for the rifle is
- Accurate
- Good shot-count (Steyr website gives +300 shots @ 7.5J and 140 @ 16J)
- Easy to adjust the power from 7.5J (for winter indoor shooting) to 16J for summer FT shooting
- Possibility to install a front peep sight, for information 10M shooting (the LG Match front sight is suppose to fit on the HFT)
- Stock that could be used to shoot 3P
- Easy to maintain (if needs be)

So my questions are
- Anything else I should have serious look at before pulling the trigger? I know I could probably buy 2 rifles for the price of one HFT, but I'd rather have one rifle. It takes less room in the safe and the Mrs is more concern with the # of airguns than what I'll spend on it ;-)

- For folks who the rifle, anything to watch out for, if buying used?

I think the only rifle that has the external adjuster will be the Lg110 FT. The other rifles are at the rear of the gun, just under the stock.

I don't like my Steyrs . . . I love them. All my buddies at the range grows green with envy, but they are tye most accurate rifles out there. If you can afford one buy one and you will see what I mean. They are the super guns of the air gun world.

I have a Lg110 FT Connect and I have a LG 110 Hunter in .177

Biagio

"azuaro"Biagio 26:

You are correct, the only model of the LG-110 line that offers the external velocity adjuster is the FT model, nevertheless the Benchrest and the Match models offer the same firing pin/spring configuration and if you want the external adjustability all you need to do is replace is the end cap and cut the square for it around the stock or around the the plastic frame housing...I have done several of these conversions in all models.

The HP (High Power) and the Hunting versions have a different firing pin/spring configuration and they require the full kit (firing pin, spring & cap and housing is optional)...The High Power and HFT Hunting versions have a SAP (Spring above pin) set up and the other 3 models have PAS (Firing pin above spring)...Parts do not interchange between these configurations and there is no advantage in timing, lock time or consistency in between the 2 systems. 

Any of these guns will shoot 1/2 inch ctc groups at 50 meters with JSB of H&N Barracudas...The only issue is that these guns are not cheap, you can buy 2 excellent top of the line PCP's for the price of a Steyr but the same happens with Feinwerkbau, Walther and Anschutz.

Regards,

AZ

The LG110 HFT DOES have the external power adjuster. See catalog below.

http://www.steyr-sport.com/images/flipbooks/luftgewehre/adventure_2014/mobile/index.html

The LG110's without external v0 adjuster are the HP and HP hunting. The more recent FT/HFT do have this adjuster.
I even have seen early FT models without adjuster, it changes every year.
About the transfer ports, I've never seen or heard about a green TP, apparently only black silver and gold exist today. Black is 4mm (24j and up), silver 3mm (reduction 24>16j) and gold (reduction to 7.5j) The only thing being green is the O-ring.

http://www.steyr-sport.com/index.php/en/air-rifles/transfer-ports-lg-110-field-target

Buying used shouldn't be a problem... if you can find one. People who put out this much money for an airgun are usually pretty careful with them. Outside of catastrophic damage to the frame most problems can be easily dealt with due to the modular design.

A lot of people will free float the barrel by using a dremel to modify the barrel retainer at the front of the frame. This is a pretty straight forward mod, and usually improves accuracy, but you might ask about it if you buy used.

The Hunter LG110 models are very nice, but you can get the LG100/110 HP model a little cheaper. I have the HP and the painted wood stock fits me very well. The HP and the FT models show up more often used.

The Steyr is a wonderful gun and I'm sure you will enjoy it a lot.

That makes sense, I was talking EU models, not US🙂
One of my HP huntings was upgraded with an original external v0 adjuster, including the plastic cover with the cutout for the hammer adjuster nut.
The newest one came with the new wooden stock, the plastic cover is replaced by wood of the new stock. I made a new hammer with external v0 adjuster myself, and I milled a cutout in the wood of the stock. The hammer is very thin, it was difficult to turn. Works perfect.
The difference can be seen in the picture below:

"azuaro"Mmmmm!...Nice guns...That is a nice pair!...But you will soon want (need) an Auto 5 and ??? for having a good POKER hand!
Nèhh, sold the oldest one (top one) and got me a 30cal HM1000x instead☺ Can't keep them all (3x pcp max. is my limit. Sell one to buy one back)
Haven't shot the .30 barrel even once, installed a carbon shrouded .25 BSA barrel instead. It's hard to be a tinkerer😁

"azuaro"I've never seen one of those HM 1000X rifles but I have competed against their cousins: TM-1000 and BM-500 LW....Very well built and reliable guns that are very accurate...Good choice!

Please post your findings I am interested in details about this action/.25 cal. combo ...If you don't mind me asking: What barrel are you using?

Best regards,

AZ
Barrel is a 24" BSA blank with some custom work done by myself, sleeved to 18mm (bonded) with 30x28mm 3K pullwinded CF shroud. Awesome rifle.
I'll see if I have time to open a new topic about my rifle to prevent a topic hijack.

My LG110 is a keeper, I love that rifle. Heavily customized ofcourse (255cc Hatsan BT65 tube with QF, increased plenum volume, adjustable valve spring tension, external V0 adjuster, sleeved barrel at breech end with 16.3mm bushing to freefloat barrel, increased reg. pressure to 145bar, 3 barrels, .177 .22 .25)
Had it shooting at 55ft/lbs with my .25 BSA barrel (the barrel which is in the RAW at this moment) It puts out some serious power, but can be built back to 5ft/lbs in minutes.
Except for a magazine maybe, there's not much left to be desired. Beautiful platform, easy to work on, and probably the most versatile airgun ever.