Steyr .22 Pro X Scout

I recently bought a Pro X. Scout .22, I thought it might be challenging to clean the bore, but the Crown Saver, pushes easily from the bore/muzzle to the breech; you can take a hook to bring up the loop to insert the patch or manipulate/rotate the rubber cover from the muzzle, push, & the loop pops up vertically ready for a patch. If you don't want the oil from the patch getting in the works, you could do this with the rifle upside down.

20230601_124815.jpg

20230601_124728.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Pro X 650mm barrel...has become one of my favorites but took some time and adjustments to figure it out...keep us posted on your Scouts preformance...I had two members contact me with accuracy issues that I helped them work out. Make sure you try the JSB 18s they worked best in theirs and mine...they are great guns...I've yet to have a jam that wasn't my fault not seating pellets correctly.
20230106_083315.jpg

@RM100GUY, I plan on shooting it tomorrow. Too breezy today for accuracy. I did run about 300 pellets thru it today & no jams. I was playing with my new toy & checking FPS, etc. It was 800 or less with the 18, 850 with the 15.89 & over 900 with the 13 grains. That was after turning the hammer spring adjuster in one complete turn. I don't think it will develop much more energy with this short barrel, but I can live with 850. Mine has a factory shroud; after several flyers, I took it off and noticed a slight bump at the muzzle; a screw is used to hold it together. The screw was tightened, leaving an indention into the baffle where the pellet exits the muzzle. I took the screw out, drilled the end/hole out a few thousand over; this removed the indention & put it back on. I only shot a few afterward, but that may have been the flyer creator. I thought the factory shroud worked pretty well for its limited capacity.

Very preliminary, but so far, I like it.
Thanks

Question to both of you guys (all Pro X owners).

Do you find that the scope/sight mount/rail is higher than it should be ?
I've thought of buying one for some time now, and I seem to be getting closer to actually spending the big bucks !

Thanks

Mike
Short answer...no, not at all for me, but I have a plate in my neck and I like a higher mounted scope. The picatinny rail bracket is attached to a standard dove tail and I've seen members mount scops there...but I reailly like it mounted higher myself....don't think it would be an issue for you. Only gripes I have is the price and the trigger is a little different, I wouldn't consider it "bad" but just not perfect for extracting max accuracy from the platform...The Pro X reailly has impressed me...200 bar fill getting 70 shots with 18s @ 850 fps and very consistent. I like the 650mm barrel with the longer tube. If you want I would be glad to talk to you about my findings
...just shoot me a PM and we arrange a
20230124_181453.jpg
time....I spend a lot of time chatting with members anyway...lol. I can't imagine anyone not liking these Pro Xs...if you can get passed the price.

Reactions: cavedweller
Short answer...no, not at all for me, but I have a plate in my neck and I like a higher mounted scope. The picatinny rail bracket is attached to a standard dove tail and I've seen members mount scops there...but I reailly like it mounted higher myself....don't think it would be an issue for you. Only gripes I have is the price and the trigger is a little different, I wouldn't consider it "bad" but just not perfect for extracting max accuracy from the platform...The Pro X reailly has impressed me...200 bar fill getting 70 shots with 18s @ 850 fps and very consistent. I like the 650mm barrel with the longer tube. If you want I would be glad to talk to you about my findings
...just shoot me a PM and we arrange a time....I spend a lot of time chatting with members anyway...lol. I can't imagine anyone not liking these Pro Xs...if you can get passed the price.
Thanks for the info.
Yeah, this is why I've "thought" about it for some time now, the cost. Steyr did a great job designing the overall look of the gun, a nice job on the stock too. It seems that the Steyr compared to the rest of the "semi-auto" (not really !) guns, the method of loading the magazine seems like a much better way of going about it.
Seems that they could have...at least put threads on the barrel for the many, if not most that will add a suppressor.
While it's still a lot of money for basically a toy, my financial guy said I have the money...so...now, I'm back to thinking about getting one again, along with some sort of hot rod to go racing with !

Thanks again.

Mike

Question for both of you guys (all Pro X owners).

Do you find that the scope/sight mount/rail is higher than it should be?
I've considered buying one for some time now, and I seem to be getting closer to spending the big bucks!

Thanks

Mike
I found that the factory rail is too heavy for my liking. (I want to use this thing for squirrel hunting in the mountains.) I never tried the factory rail, so I can't say if it is too high. That is a personal preference anyway. Here is what I did, but I will have ten scopes on it before I am finished. I bought these mounts on eBay, the highest 1-inch x11 mm mounts I have found. They put height 1.5 inches to the center of the eyepiece above the cheek piece. Just an option & Lightweight.

20230601_133102.jpg

20230530_201348.jpg

I shot at least 500 shots today; not a glitch. All these groups were 40 yards & 10 shot groups, fired as fast as I could get back on target. I used 13, 15, 18 grain JSB & 15 grain H & N. My rifle seemed to shoot a little slower today & I cranked it up another 1/4 turn. I found that after 250 shots, it wants the barrel cleaned. I had some crosswinds at the time, and some of the groups show that & the worse groups were before I cleaned the barrel. So far what I am seeing, I can live with. I like the trigger. It is better than the one on my FX Impact, not as good as the one on my AGT Vixen, IMO of course.

20230602_113845.jpg

Reactions: RM100GUY
Oh, here is one thing I did today. I put some holes in a piece of hardwood to set the slot on the mag in, then with a closed ink pen, I pushed the pellet till the nose hit the board but was flush nearest the chamber or barrel throat. I don't know if this helped or hurt, but at least every pellet was seated the same. The 15-grain H & N pellets were the tightest fit in the mag and shot at 800 fps, while the 15-grain JSB flew at about 840-850.
20230602_113936.jpg

Oh, here is one thing I did today. I put some holes in a piece of hardwood to set the slot on the mag in, then with a closed ink pen, I pushed the pellet till the nose hit the board but was flush nearest the chamber or barrel throat. I don't know if this helped or hurt, but at least every pellet was seated the same. The 15-grain H & N pellets were the tightest fit in the mag and shot at 800 fps, while the 15-grain JSB flew at about 840-850.
I've done the same (seating the pellet) with a couple of co2 pellet guns...AND my Steyr LP50 Sport. I saw this in a YouTube video some time back.
Yes, the accuracy does definitely go...up for most shots. There's always the self induced...flier !

Thanks for the hint.

Mike

I've thought of buying one for some time now, and I seem to be getting closer to actually spending the big bucks !

Thanks

Mike
Not at all - but cheek weld is very personal and it isn’t hard to change the mounting method - I’m using a one piece swfa mount with an swfa ultra light - superb combo
IMG_5411.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nutcracker
Ready to hunt at 8-pound 2 oz, w/o mod, a hair less than 8 pounds. It slings nicely; I will add a paracord loop between the sling hooks & QD swivels for noise reduction. I carry all my rifles, so weight reduction & slinging is a must. Rarely shoot from the bench except for sighting in or testing accuracy/fps.
The immersive 10x24 is at the optimum height for me to have a quick natural behind-the-scope experience. I used D3 30 mm x 11 mm rings 1.3 high & 2 BKL risers. If you want to go for lightweight, remove the factory riser, which weighs 6 oz. That is over half what my scope & rings weigh. The factory butt plate is heavier than this one too. Another thing is the Walnut stock is lighter than the laminated. I think My walnut is 1.8, and I heard the laminated is 2.3.

D3 rings, https://www.ebay.com/itm/264268435836?hash=item3d87a0517c:g:u6cAAOSwF3Vc2xkf

20230608_122703.jpg20230608_125334 (1).jpg20230608_130056.jpg

Thanks

Mike
I did find the Pro X rail too high. Here's what i did with mine, real simple: This is from my post https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...hree-semi-autos-updated.1278083/#post-1379083

The final change has been to my Steyr Pro-X, and its really a minor one. I found that the Pic Rail that the gun came with was simpl,y too high for my comfort. While it worked fine, and i shot the gun well, I prefer a lower position for my scopes, or, to put it another way, a tighter cheek weld. So I took the Pic rail off and used a Dovetail to Pic rail adapter to mount the scope. The difference is shown below:
New/Now
1668887558192.jpeg

Original
1668887871593.png

I did find the Pro X rail too high. Here's what i did with mine, real simple: This is from my post https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...hree-semi-autos-updated.1278083/#post-1379083

The final change has been to my Steyr Pro-X, and its really a minor one. I found that the Pic Rail that the gun came with was simpl,y too high for my comfort. While it worked fine, and i shot the gun well, I prefer a lower position for my scopes, or, to put it another way, a tighter cheek weld. So I took the Pic rail off and used a Dovetail to Pic rail adapter to mount the scope. The difference is shown below:
New/Now
1668887558192.jpeg

Original
1668887871593.png
You’ve inspired me to try a lower mount and for a what the hell factor I’m going to put my 5-24 immersive optic on it! Who knows, I may like it!

Reactions: ChRiSiS