Steyer 110 Experience

I just attached a set of post sling swivels to the Steyr Hunter Scout. I went with Uncle Mike posts instead of that cool quick disconnect that Scott used on his fore end because I was afraid of making a 1/2" hole in the stock. Have to drop below the fore end a bit further than I would like to make sure the wood was thick enough.

Oh, yea if I can't find my TV remote everyone who views this picture knows where I dropped it! 
I have a couple of these Levy slings which are my favorite because of the very supple green suede and tan leather. I remove and replace the brass sling pins with rawhide to avoid scratching stocks.

989b6ce2f4aa6ca4ae647b2e5d328572.jpg

Bowwild,
Thank you for all the great info. Congrats on your new toy... I’m considering either the standard Hunter Auto 5 or the Scout Hunter 5 Auto. It seems to be a lot of fun and the weight is great for hunting.

I prefer the Scout’s over all length, but like the shot count and the LDC connector location in relation to the air reservoir. I don’t think I could go wrong with either. 

How many shots are you getting between cleaning the barrel? Thanks.

I've only owned the rifle for a couple of weeks and haven't shot more than 150 shots. I haven't cleaned the barrel yet.

One of the things that surprises me to learn here, on AGN, that many folks say not to clean air rifle barrels until or unless accuracy begins to falter. I'm accustomed to powder burners that I clean more often, not because accuracy has fallen off, but to prevent corrosion from the powder burning. Of course no powder to burn with these air rifles. 

I did find out last night when installing the sling posts, that it is VERY easy to take this rifle apart; unscrew the air tank (slight air swoosh), remove two allen screws under the stock, and lift the action right out. Goes back just as easy. 

Having owned well over a hundred air guns over the past 40 year's, including the Steyr Scout that Bowwild has, I practically never clean the barrels. I've never noticed any deteriaton in accuracy from not cleaning, after tens of thousands of shots. I've also tuned and restored hundreds of AG's for customers, and only occasionally clean their barrels, because many of them have not been used for years. IMO, it simply is not necessary for the reasons Bowwild mentions above. PB's are a very different story.
Scott
airguntunes.com. 

"Crutcherro1"Scott,
If the barrel does need to be cleaned, can it be cleaned with a Crown Saver without removing the air tube, scope and barrel? Thanks. 
Randy
That would probably work OK for the 110, but I wouldn't try it with the Auto-5. I'd be too concern about push dirt in the magazine indexing mechanism.
In my LGB1, I've about 5K pellets through it without a major cleaning. Only shot a few felt pellets to see if they would work through the magazine (used the single shot adapter. They did)

"Crutcherro1"Scott,
If the barrel does need to be cleaned, can it be cleaned with a Crown Saver without removing the air tube, scope and barrel? Thanks. 
Randy
Yes Randy, you don't need to remove anything If you decided to clean the barrel of the hunting 5 auto. I would recommend that you use some flexible fishing line. Tie a loop on one end and push it in from the muzzle, then grab it with a pick, or piece of wire bent in a hook, pull it out and put your cleaning patch in the loop, and pull it back through.
I think that would be the easiest considering the very tight quarter's in the magazine slot.
However, I really think cleaning is unnessesary
Have fun

Scott

From my experience cleaning is needed quite often for the nickel plated Steyr barrels. I've used my standard .22 barrel for about 10.000 shots and found out it really needed cleaning every tin of pellets. At a 100 meters you can clearly see the difference between a filthy barrel and a cleaned one. (especially if you do the cleaning at the range ;) ). The problem with the nickel plating is that if it rips the barrel is useless. Had several people out here (Netherlands) that had the problem that after a lot of shots (estimation was about >30.000 shots) the nickel plating began to strip and the accuracy was gone.

Regarding cleaning, I clean mine after every range visit with just wipes through the barrel until they come out fairly clean and once or twice every year I clean m with a brush and do a short polishing session. You can wait until the accuracy start to go down before cleaning but the leading will be much harder to remove. Just look for a cleaning interval that works for you and stick to that. Find out when odd things start to happen (pellet spiraling, lack of accuracy etc) and clean the barrel to see if it helps. If you see this exact same thing after an X amount of shots try cleaning again. If this helps you've found your cleaning interval ;)
Everybody has a different opion on this, don't automatically believe the person that shouts the loudest or because a group of people says so. There are some obstinate "facts" that a lot of people tell but turn out to be nonsense when you really dig into it. (I'm not pointing towards anyone in the topic with this by the way!)

Reactions: scrane