Steyer 110 Experience

I’ve been researching the Steyr LG110 Hunter 5 (auto or not). These are even more expensive than the Air Wolf MCT I bought and sold. I don’t want to make a bad buy. The wolf was great but bulkier than I like.

I’m drawn by the rifle’s sleek look and quality reputation. For those with experience, without an LDC it is about 40” Long—about my maximum length. But, is it noisy with no LDC? Adding an LDC would ruin the length for me. 

I know now I could get the scout which is shorter and add LDC (how much extra trouble and expense for that?). 

Finally, through the recent classified discussion, I learned of a site over seas (kral) that sells the gun for almost $1,000 less than dealers here. Shipping is only $45 and C.C. charge is $29 extra.

l would appreciate advice and insight.
Thanks
Roy

I bought a Steyr from Krale earlier this year and couldn't be more pleased.If you need a LDC you can buy a 16mm steyr adapter from them and also whatever moderator you want,,,,yes they will sell moderators to you as well.Just make sure you get the appropriate joules /ft lbs for your intended purpose,,,,either lo power or high power.You may have to call your cc in advance so they know its a overseas purchase so they don't mistakenly stop the transaction thinking is fraudulant.

The LG110 HP & the H5 are very different animals. The first being a single shot and the latter semi-auto.

I had the LG110 HP. I really regret selling that gun. I had AZ do a full tune including shorten the barrel & shroud. Which was about the length your talking about. But that would add another $750+ onto your tab. In factory form I found the rifle to be pretty loud. I imagine the scout would be even louder without an LDC. *Best trigger I've ever had on an airgun.
26d052bb053545cebb440ea1e7cab302.jpg

I still own the H5 semi-auto. Man what a gun. The trigger isn't as good as the LG110 but everything else feels soooo right. An LDC makes it nice & quiet, but overall I don't feel like it was nearly as loud as the LG110. Sometimes I don't even use an LDC. The semi-auto feature is super slick, but its only a 5 shot magazine. The regulator produces really good numbers when you shoot with a slight pause in between shots, but when you use the trigger really fast the ES increases.
7b5095bd72131f52186e42f0700e784c.jpg

If semi-auto is your goal but length & noise are a concern then you may want to consider the Scout with an LDC. 

Steyr makes some great products. They must have some type of MAP here in the US that allows foreign countries to sell them for less. You may check out:
Penchetta
Steyr North America

Personally I've never ordered from outside of this country. Maybe fear of shipping, customs, warranty, etc??? But I've read of people who've been successful doing it.

"Kdog"I bought a Steyr from Krale earlier this year and couldn't be more pleased.If you need a LDC you can buy a 16mm steyr adapter from them and also whatever moderator you want,,,,yes they will sell moderators to you as well.Just make sure you get the appropriate joules /ft lbs for your intended purpose,,,,either lo power or high power.You may have to call your cc in advance so they know its a overseas purchase so they don't mistakenly stop the transaction thinking is fraudulant.
You got any pictures? We don't hear/see enough about Steyr round here. Good tips on foreign purchasing too.

Kale is definitely one of the best ways to go. Had the 110 HP and the H5. Both excellent rifles. Accurate out of the box, no need to do anything to them, solid performers. Sold them because they were too long for me and LOUD! Added a LDC adapter, held on by a set screw; was not too fond of that because it would leave a mark on your outer barrel. But this was the cheapest option to quiet her down. The H5 was shorter than the 110, but still too long for my needs. I prefer bullpups, this way I can make my shots right out of my window without it being so long and not getting the right angle. Great guns nonetheless.

"Michael"
"Kdog"I bought a Steyr from Krale earlier this year and couldn't be more pleased.If you need a LDC you can buy a 16mm steyr adapter from them and also whatever moderator you want,,,,yes they will sell moderators to you as well.Just make sure you get the appropriate joules /ft lbs for your intended purpose,,,,either lo power or high power.You may have to call your cc in advance so they know its a overseas purchase so they don't mistakenly stop the transaction thinking is fraudulant.
You got any pictures? We don't hear/see enough about Steyr round here. Good tips on foreign purchasing too.
Here is a picture of mine. It's the 40 Joule Scout. I added the white line spacer on the butt pad, and added checkering on the bottom of the foream. Also sling stud on butt, and recessed sling cup under forearm. Awesome 35" short, and light weight rifle. 7lb 3oz WITH scope and mounts. It is not that loud. Much louder than all my other PCP's, but they have shrouds or LDC's. I wanted to keep it short, and noise is no problem in my forest home location. About as loud as a cap gun. Way quieter than a .22 rimfire, firing a ".22 short" round. The trigger is right up there with all of my match rifles, especially after I reduced the first stage travel. 875 fps for 60 shots with JSB 15.9 pellets. The balance of this gun makes it feel even lighter than it is.

78cd7c581667841a140145afb899052a.jpg

Reactions: Michael
"scottblair"
Here is a picture of mine. It's the 40 Joule Scout. I added the white line spacer on the butt pad, and added checkering on the bottom of the foream. Also sling stud on butt, and recessed sling cup under forearm. Awesome 35" short, and light weight rifle. 7lb 3oz WITH scope and mounts. It is not that loud. Much louder than all my other PCP's, but they have shrouds or LDC's. I wanted to keep it short, and noise is no problem in my forest home location. About as loud as a cap gun. Way quieter than a .22 rimfire, firing a ".22 short" round. The trigger is right up there with all of my match rifles, especially after I reduced the first stage travel. 875 fps for 60 shots with JSB 15.9 pellets. The balance of this gun makes it feel even lighter than it is.

Awesome rig! Wish mine was that short. Are you sure about that shot count? If I recall correctly thats about what I'm getting out of the full length version with longer barrel & air tube.

"Michael"
"scottblair"

Awesome rig! Wish mine was that short. Are you sure about that shot count? If I recall correctly thats about what I'm getting out of the full length version with longer barrel & air tube.
Thanks Michael. Yes, it seems to come off the regulator right around the 55-56th shot, then I get 4-5 consistent shots at about the same velocity after that, before It starts dropping more dramatically. I've checked it on my Chrono through three fills to 3K psi, because it was a higher shot count than expected. I spoke to Richard from Krale several times before I purchased this, and he said to expect around 50 shots with the scout. I don't know what the reg pressure is set at on these rifles, I haven't touched mine.

I too really like the carbine size rifles. This is an amazing shooting machine.

I have the Steyr H110 Hunting and it is a fine rifle. It was my very first PCP I purchased and one I could not see myself selling. 
I too am a fan of bullpups and shorter carbines and my Steyr fits that niche well. I got mine in .177 as it was about 6" shorter than the .20 and .22 cal at the time. 

I get about 55 shots in .177 at 980fps with the JSB 10.34gr pellets and yes it is loud. they have a very distinctive sound, kind of an echo, like you a firing up a drain pipe.
They definitely require a suppressor to be back yard friendly. 
I machined a shorter.22 CZ barrel and .25 BSA barrel to fit mine too, they are very easy to switch out (2 grub screws) and makes for a nice switch barrel platform. 
The .22 barrel at 450mm (the same as the .177 barrel) is a little underpowered with the std factory reg setting and will max at about 850fps with the 16gr JSBs. shot count drops to about 40 for that set up. 
I found myself using the 18" .25cal barrel the most set to about 750fps. it was a good shorter range garden gun until I got my Leshiy.

It sat in my safe unused for some time until recently when I got it out and fitted the .177 barrel again. Its a fun little fast mover and the accuracy is surgical. 
The triggers are superb and mechanics are super slick. 
I have not had to do a thing to mine in 13 years of ownership, other than one breech oring and a drop of lube from time to time. Its quality is very dependable. 

The newer version of the H110 Hunting is the Steyr Challenge Hunting and the only images I can find seem to have the longer 550mm barrel

....But I suspect the .177 is still fitted with the shorter 450mm like they are showing on the Steyr Challenge HFT Hunting which is only available in .177cal.

Either way if you got the longer barreled .22 cal, any good machinist could shorten it at the action end and thread the muzzle for a suppressor for you for very little. 
Just keep in mind that this mod will come at the cost of a bit of velocity and/or shot count if you reset the reg.
I personally think the H110 with its match build roots (same platform the build all their target/race guns on) is a better purchase than the H5.

I purchased a Steyr LG110 HP Hunter almost two years ago. It has typical Steyr quality and an outstanding trigger. It isan excellent platform for experimentation as one can purchase Lothar Walther barrels and have them very easily fitted . Barrel change is a snap which only requires loosening two Allrn screws. No probe change required since the air come to the barrel through the bolt - a very unique system. The only minuses are that it is a single shot and quite loud without an LDC. That is not a problem at matches but not ideal for pest control in the back yard. No problem for me since this is not my pest control rifle.

mybrifle came from the factory in 177 and I have added an extra 22 LW barrel. At factory settings the 177 cal, 8.4 gr pellets provide just under 1000 fps and the 10.3 gr adjust under 900 fps. At the same setting the 22 cal JSB. 15.9 gr provide 780 fps. I obtain 60 shots in both calibers before it falls off the regulator.

This Steyr and my FX 400 would be the last rifles I would sell.

"Michael"
Certainly,,,,,its off getting the regulator adjusted right now but here is my Steyr LG110 HFT 
rq6XDY0.png

63RFf8x.png

I've figured all that out now. I'm pretty sure it is going to be: Steyr LG110 High Power Hunting -- .22 at 40 joules.

The rifle is right at the maximum length I like (~40") and I'm a bit concerned about not having an LDC and I don't want to add 6-7" to put one on it. But, I live in the country where I can shoot anything I want without causing a problem. I do like to shoot in my basement in the winter so this might be too loud for that? 

Roy

Finally a thread about (IMO) the best made airguns today ;)

I mainly use mine for 100 meter target shooting but it is so easy to change it to an other type of shooting that I sometimes set it up for benchrest or HFT.

My 100 meter setup:

a28f46db13a6f447dc914f788809a214.jpg

20 MOA bridge for optics, Meopta Meopro 6-18x50 on top. The moderator is an ATEC wave carbon (great little moderator!) and the bipod is a Tier-one FTR bipod.
I also have an atlas bipod to fit underneath it:

438491e96ffacdd3d4c9a1e151b7004c.jpg

Also added a quickfill to the cylinder:

fb99d696067cd7b38cd61ad69c719306.jpg

This is a temporary measurement connector (minimess) because I've dismantled the internal regulator to use an external regulator. This makes it easier to try out what would be the best regulator pressure without being bother by potential sticking of the internal valve of the foster fitting.

And within 10 minutes it is set up to shoot other disciplines:

d03d598422baf7ee64dd44891254b451.jpg

And the most beautiful thing on my steyr at this moment is my new barrel :)

00c5b265c7c2450fcefdd4aac6707cd4.jpg

Wow! That's quite the setup!

Would you be willing to share some more info on it?

Like what do you do to the rifle for 100 m shooting compared to the FT competitions.
What kind of pellets do you use?
Do you sort the pellets by weight or head size?
At what speeds are you shooting?
Why do you have different barrels?

I have a LG110 HPH as well and I'm struggeling to get it to shoot consistently - (it's very possible that it's just me)
One group would be a ridiculous 5mm CTC at 50m while the the one right after would be 30mm CTC.
I have found out that the barrel must be kept super clean. If I don't give it a good cleaning after about 50-100 shots accuracy fades quickly.

Bowwild It's a great rifle make no mistake. I can't say for the Hunting 5A because I didn't even hold it but I would buy the LG110 just for the trigger not to mention that everything is so well made and simple.

Here are some pics of my bird perforator:

sRNPPDk.jpg

wGEA25a.jpg