Steve Herr's full tune of a 0.20" cal DIANA 54

That is what the ZR Mount is for.

HM
Ha ha ha. I might need another. I have a .22 56TH on the way with a Bushnell 6-18 x 40 on top . Pics looks like a Diana mount of some type but I couldn’t tell if it was ZR or just droop compensated. Should be here tomorrow or Saturday but we’ll see if UPS is on target. Starting to geek out over the possibilities for this gun. The work you and Steve did is above my pay grade at the moment but I’ll learn.

Reactions: Nitrocrushr
I now know why the barrel on my very old 48 (Mar 1987) has that tight spot near the muzzle. Thanks to Steve and Hector for that info and the way to solve the problem.👍👍👍 I guess it's time to disassemble it and do some strokes in the barrel to eliminate the tight spots.
Near the muzzle? I believe you might be referring to the choke. You do not want to do any hand lapping of the choke.

Steve

Near the muzzle? I believe you might be referring to the choke. You do not want to do any hand lapping of the choke.

Steve
I agree with you on not removing the choke in the barrel. However I think you do not understand the Boss and what makes it work. Just lengthing and shortening the over all legth of the barrel change the harmonics. There are no weights involved. I have been using them on benchrest rifles for over 15 years shortly after I bought a Winchester with the Boss System. My gunsmith, Bob Green from York Pa had been experimenting with barrel harmonics for years. By taking minute amounts of the front of the barrel and recrowning, some shooters found it changed how the rifles grouped. I have 3 benchrest rifles I shoot from 100 to 1000 yards, they all have tuners. If used correctly tuners are a great tool. Now, by hanging a weight on the barrel and moving it back and forth you can also do the same thing. I saw a tuner years ago made with a figure 8 bracket clamped on the barrel. The bottom of the eight had a nut welded in it. A 5 inch piece of threaded rod ran back and forth in it parallel with the barrel. Adjusting the rod back and forth changed the harmonics and the group. Be aware adjusting the tune also changes the point of impact. Your point of aim will move in a circle as you adjust. In theory it's great if you can get good group at 12:00. Be that as it may I have had match winning accuracy from various points on the clock.For several years I would be the only shooter at a match with a tuner. Now the majority have them at many matches.

I agree with you on not removing the choke in the barrel. However I think you do not understand the Boss and what makes it work. Just lengthing and shortening the over all legth of the barrel change the harmonics. There are no weights involved. I have been using them on benchrest rifles for over 15 years shortly after I bought a Winchester with the Boss System. My gunsmith, Bob Green from York Pa had been experimenting with barrel harmonics for years. By taking minute amounts of the front of the barrel and recrowning, some shooters found it changed how the rifles grouped. I have 3 benchrest rifles I shoot from 100 to 1000 yards, they all have tuners. If used correctly tuners are a great tool. Now, by hanging a weight on the barrel and moving it back and forth you can also do the same thing. I saw a tuner years ago made with a figure 8 bracket clamped on the barrel. The bottom of the eight had a nut welded in it. A 5 inch piece of threaded rod ran back and forth in it parallel with the barrel. Adjusting the rod back and forth changed the harmonics and the group. Be aware adjusting the tune also changes the point of impact. Your point of aim will move in a circle as you adjust. In theory it's great if you can get good group at 12:00. Be that as it may I have had match winning accuracy from various points on the clock.For several years I would be the only shooter at a match with a tuner. Now the majority have them at many matches.
Thanks for providing details on the Boss system Jeff. That’s not the one I was thinking about then. Years back someone had a muzzle tuner that had an offset weight. As you turned it, the device did not move front or back, but simply rotated that offset weight around the barrel. From the outside of the tuner you could not tell that the actual offsetting weight was there. I’m going to have to see if I can dig up info on that one. I have no idea how well it worked.

Steve

Thanks for providing details on the Boss system Jeff. That’s not the one I was thinking about then. Years back someone had a muzzle tuner that had an offset weight. As you turned it, the device did not move front or back, but simply rotated that offset weight around the barrel. From the outside of the tuner you could not tell that the actual offsetting weight was there. I’m going to have to see if I can dig up info on that one. I have no idea how well it worked.

Steve
Ok, we are never to old to learn. A lot of guys think tuners work either because they have a heavy spot on one side or have non concentric threads, I don't think that is correct. But regardless they do work and are very interesting when adjusting them.

Ok, we are never to old to learn. A lot of guys think tuners work either because they have a heavy spot on one side or have non concentric threads, I don't think that is correct. But regardless they do work and are very interesting when adjusting them.
I agree 100% Jeff👍 You can see things come together as you approach a sweet spot.

That weighted tuner that I was referring to was in an article in one of my gun magazines back in the mid 80’s.

Steve

Reactions: JEFFPPC
Yes. However, the OEM setup on the 56’s are not actually a tuner, they are just a muzzle weight. Hector’s tuners would slide in place on the 56 in the same way they do on the 54.

Steve
Yep, knew it was just a weight. Just wasn’t sure if OD at the muzzle was the same. Thanks. UPS has it on the truck and it’s OTW. And we still have 30+ mph winds and supposed to rain this afternoon. Further proof the universe has a sense of humor. Have lost track of how many times that’s happened with new bicycles LOL.

Great write-up of an incredible process. Educational and very informative! As a fan of the RWS 48, this helps me understand some of the finer adjustments that can be made to my rifle. At least I don’t have to worry about the recoil sled work with mine.
I would love to find a 52 stock, but maybe I’ll install a adjustable butt-plate and leather cheek riser.
Hector, I’ll be delving further into your blog.
Thanks!

I have installed Hectors tuner along with the ZR tuner. I am 110% happy. The tuner is amazing. First big step was having John Thomas work on the rifle. That got it close to what I wanted and made it worth while. Added Hectors tuner made it amazing, shoots in a hole at 25 yards indoors. Outdoors over flags in this windy dpring I have had a half-dozen .5 five shot groups.

I have installed Hectors tuner along with the ZR tuner. I am 110% happy. The tuner is amazing. First big step was having John Thomas work on the rifle. That got it close to what I wanted and made it worth while. Added Hectors tuner made it amazing, shoots in a hole at 25 yards indoors. Outdoors over flags in this windy dpring I have had a half-dozen .5 five shot groups.
Glad you’re happy with it. Exchanged a few emails with him today and he’s working on a HPM and CF shroud for my 56T/H. I’ve learned a ton about the Diana guns asking him questions and reading posts on his site. Like you said, there’s a reason he’s so well thought of.

Changing scopes changed the tune. Something to be aware off. The beauty of having a tuner is the ability to simply retune.
and if you change pellet batches, you can also re-tune.

Main thing is that these tuners will NEVER get out of adjustment. They work WITH the recoil and vibrations, not against them.

;-)

Thank YOU, keep well, healthy and as sane as modern life allows (I really do not need to tell you to shoot straight LOL!)

HM

Yes. However, the OEM setup on the 56’s are not actually a tuner, they are just a muzzle weight. Hector’s tuners would slide in place on the 56 in the same way they do on the 54.

Steve
Steve, want to clarify something. After asking Hector to build a HPM for my 56T/H, my understanding from him is the 54 and 56T/H do NOT use the same HPM because the barrel shroud length is different. You can use the OEM 54 HPM on the 56 but you have to replace the barrel shroud with a different length. Or, you can go with Option B and get the 56 HPM from Hector. Beautiful piece of work. Please correct me if I’m wrong about any of this.