• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Steel target trap - Overkill - maybe, but it'll work for any caliber:-)

Windmeister

Dealer
Oct 4, 2015
AZ
I learned how to weld a few months ago and decided to make a pellet trap with easy slide in "wings" to hold a piece of large cardboard/mdf that the paper target can be tapped/stapled too. I wanted it to be quiet too, good looking, and not super heavy....yeah I know, nothing like hard goals when you do things on your own.

Anyhow I got 14 gauge steel plate, cut it to length, mostly long rectangular pieces. So I could make a "M" profile (seen from above) 
I painted it with a rubberised compound with takes the "ping" out of it, reduces it to a plooonk, but that wasnt enough for me so I backfilled the rear "V" shapes with concrete.
Now it's just a thud. I dont know how much I spent on it, but it's pretty simple, so maybe $30 in materials. 
Later I found that I had this parasol base laying around, and decided to weld on a tube so I could mount it in that base, works great. Without the base/tube, it weighs something like 20-30lbs. And would be "mobile" now however not so much, I can take it out of the base and take it out in the desert I suppose.

Frontside - Or business end of things
, ,

Sound control