• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Steel receiver for air rifle?

Part of the issue is that fact most manufactures use CNC milling machines, and we all know aluminum is easier to machine. 

One thing I'd like to see is some Investment Casting. The end product needs very little final finishing afterwards, which is a plus if you're the manufacturer. Unfortunately, IC is an expensive procedure. But on the plus side, you can produce pieces which cannot be machined in the normal sense. The only "gun" manufacturer I know which uses IC is Ruger, but there may be others.

"Alan"Part of the issue is that fact most manufactures use CNC milling machines, and we all know aluminum is easier to machine. 

One thing I'd like to see is some Investment Casting. The end product needs very little final finishing afterwards, which is a plus if you're the manufacturer. Unfortunately, IC is an expensive procedure. But on the plus side, you can produce pieces which cannot be machined in the normal sense. The only "gun" manufacturer I know which uses IC is Ruger, but there may be others.
I'll suggest that the greater density or mass of steel over aluminum would help steady the rifle prior to the pellet exiting the barrel. No doubt aluminum is lighter and easier to machine, advantages for someone that uses the rifle for hunting and the manufacturer respectively. But for benchrest target shooter the additional weight would seem to be an advantage.

"Alan"Part of the issue is that fact most manufactures use CNC milling machines, and we all know aluminum is easier to machine. 

Yes on Ruger, I toured the plant about 15 years ago. Very little final machining is necessary! I do own shares in Ruger. Owned lots of their pistols and rifles over the years. Still one of my favourite American companies.

Titanium takes some very high quality carbide tooling even when titanium is in an annealed state.