• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Starting over from scratch, what moderator would you get?

I've spent time shooting with....

• Huggett Snipe
  • 0Db (Standard size? It was probably about 30mm and 6 inches long)
  • DONNY Sumo
  • DONNY Tatsu
  • Hogan Decimeter
  • Taipan OEM shroud/moderator
  • TKO
  • Rocker 1 (GTA)

My favorite option is the Taipan shroud/baffle system. Amazing design keeps things concentric, short, and QUIET. Can't ever understand why guys put a big can on the end of the Veteran shroud. 

For add on options, the Hogan was/is the quietest I've shot with. High quality, thick aluminum baffles, overall heavier duty than all the rest. But pretty ho hum in the looks dept, just a glossy black cylinder. 

The Snipe and 0DB tie for second place hushing level in the add-on category. Both are snazzy though, to the eye. 

The TKO is mighty quiet for the size (roughly thumb diameter). 

Rocker 1s with the 3d printed baffles are the best bargain, quieting down considerably, but not as much as the mass produced moderators.

Donny Tatsu is great when you want a short add-on, but it doesn't quiet down the report very good, disappointing in that regard actually. Sumo was also disappointing for it's sound reduction, considering its size.

Donny's, Nuggets, and 0DB are likely the most aesthetically pleasing, having the cool factor. I used to bass fish a lot as a kid. I'd come home with a new lure and show it to my dad, youthfully all excited to try it out. He'd say, "some lures are meant to catch fisherman, not fish." 

To answer original question (and in the context of add-ons) I still have the Hogan and the TKO. Hogan cuz it's the quietest and the most solidly built, TKO lives on my old Benji Discovery, more for nostalgia than anything else. Sold all the rest mentioned above (except for the Vet shrouds/moderators). 

I agree with @Franklink. The Hogan I bought from Krale seems to be the most effective I've used. That said, the Weihrauch and Donny models have worked fine. I sanded and repainted the Hogan in flat black. I also believe the Taipan Veteran, as delivered is most effective of all, and as robust as the rest of the rifle.

How did you get a Hogan? The Krale site says for sale in the EU only.

I agree with @Franklink. The Hogan I bought from Krale seems to be the most effective I've used. That said, the Weihrauch and Donny models have worked fine. I sanded and repainted the Hogan in flat black. I also believe the Taipan Veteran, as delivered is most effective of all, and as robust as the rest of the rifle.

I bought it about 5 years ago, and there was no such restriction at that time. Of course, I also bought a Steyr rifle, which is no longer available to the US either. It's an English company, so maybe you can search and find it there.

I bought it about 5 years ago, and there was no such restriction at that time. Of course, I also bought a Steyr rifle, which is no longer available to the US either. It's an English company, so maybe you can search and find it there.

Lots of new restrictions re: suppressor sales. Either face-to-face or through a firearms dealer in the UK

Weihrauch. The moderator that came with my HW110 .22 is the most effective. 30mm tube. I’ve got Donny FLs and a bunch that I’ve made - the Weihrauch is much quieter. I’m using it on an RTI Prophet Performance.22 and it is super quiet. Weihrauch tolerances are tight too, you will understand when you pull out the washers between the hair curlers and measure the inner hole diameter, lol. 

Neil Clague Reflexed LDCs,...custom made to the lengths you want/need

The reflex models are built over the end of the shroud correct? picture? are they more permanent?

Thanks

Correct,

so for example I have a .30 cal that has a shroud that extends 4" past the end of the airtube, I got Neil to make me a 10" LDC, 4" once screwed in cover the shroud all the way to the end of the tube ( IMO making the gun look much better then a pickle hunging from the front. ) that way I basically have only 6" added to the total length.

Not permanent, screw it on and off the shroud when ever you want

Weihrauch. The moderator that came with my HW110 .22 is the most effective. 30mm tube. I’ve got Donny FLs and a bunch that I’ve made - the Weihrauch is much quieter. I’m using it on an RTI Prophet Performance.22 and it is super quiet. Weihrauch tolerances are tight too, you will understand when you pull out the washers between the hair curlers and measure the inner hole diameter, lol.

Yep, I have a Weihrauch, and it is very good. 

Got one of the A.U.O. mods and I'm impressed with how close it is the my Huggett Snipe

Can't show the interior, but a very detailed 3D cone system

1 -Lettering.1650119220.jpeg
2 -On Akela Angle.1650119220.jpeg
3 -On Akela Zoom.1650119220.jpeg
4 -Side.1650119220.jpeg
5 -TaperEnd.1650119220.jpeg
6 -Side Unscrew.1650119220.jpeg
7 -SideCapsOff.1650119220.jpeg

I shot a friend's rifle and he was using a wolf moderator. It worked significantly better than my donnyfl. It's not really surprising considering it actually had real baffles inside. Donny sells good equipment but for the price you would think they would include baffles.

Totally agree. Though I like DonnyFL I think the price is a bit high considering there are no baffles. I have several times thought about making some baffles for the ones that I have. Look. I have made stuff out of PvC pipe with simple baffles. Dont get me wrong these were not just thrown together. Machined endcaps and baffles on some. But they worked far better then the DonnyFLs. Sold all of them to airguners. Considering I was just doing this in my garage, the time and the money I was making on them was really not worth the effort.

I shot a friend's rifle and he was using a wolf moderator. It worked significantly better than my donnyfl. It's not really surprising considering it actually had real baffles inside. Donny sells good equipment but for the price you would think they would include baffles.

Totally agree. Though I like DonnyFL I think the price is a bit high considering there are no baffles. I have several times thought about making some baffles for the ones that I have. Look. I have made stuff out of PvC pipe with simple baffles. Dont get me wrong these were not just thrown together. Machined endcaps and baffles on some. But they worked far better then the DonnyFLs. Sold all of them to airguners. Considering I was just doing this in my garage, the time and the money I was making on them was really not worth the effort.

There a lot of follow the leader crap that goes on here with what's popular but not always top tier quality

When Quigley down under came out everybody had to have the same rifle for awhile

quegley.1650214477.jpg

When the Terminator movie came out everybody wanted the Fat Boy Harley

fatboy.1650214562.jpg

When Fast and Furious came out everybody wanted the stupid loud mufflers you can hear 3 miles away

(drive one in Newport Beach CA and your in for a $960 excessive noise citation)

Imagine doing a long road trip with that loud of a muffler what it would do to your ears and body, really stupid

fast.1650214646.jpg

Same mentality with Chinese made Element scopes that are really low quality scopes with plenty of chromatic aberration (purple fringing)

Same mentality with DonnyFL moderators because FX use them so they must be great right? (they have a standing contract with each other)

(remember how fast you saw the DonnyFl Fat boy in the classified for resale after they came out?)

Follow the leader over the edge boys!

Pied Pipper 2.1650214902.jpg

Goldwing, Had to give ya a point for that. 

The "latest is greatest" hasn't ever gotten to me (at all) and being a bit of a utilitarian as well as old school well... A Beeman Mako would please me personally much more than the most adjustable, modular, .......... . ALL airguns have always been tunable, as in a real tune, tune to perfection and NEVER again change it. I also prefer to simply replace o-rings every 10 years as regular maintenance - as I do- than attempt to accept "all airguns leak" as in it's a month or a year old so to be expected. 

Tolerance to bore dia. is THE ticket. Shrouded already? Who oh why do all the new folks w/shrouded rifles NOT believe in what a proper airstripper does with one? Baffles me.(eh?) The Theoben Vanquish (shrouded) had NO stripper and maybe 5" of dead airspace forward to the support collar but when a custom ( couldn't fit a hair between pellet & stripper) just silent. Tolerance in a baffle why look at an AZ shroud folks.Even his old .9mm "Pickle" (a FAT huge Drill pickle at that) from the 90's.

The dejour unit does prove what good marketing and fairly high Chinese Q.C. can do for sales. 

John

Reactions: Old-School
Goldwing, Had to give ya a point for that. 

The "latest is greatest" hasn't ever gotten to me (at all) and being a bit of a utilitarian as well as old school well... A Beeman Mako would please me personally much more than the most adjustable, modular, .......... . ALL airguns have always been tunable, as in a real tune, tune to perfection and NEVER again change it. I also prefer to simply replace o-rings every 10 years as regular maintenance - as I do- than attempt to accept "all airguns leak" as in it's a month or a year old so to be expected. 

Tolerance to bore dia. is THE ticket. Shrouded already? Who oh why do all the new folks w/shrouded rifles NOT believe in what a proper airstripper does with one? Baffles me.(eh?) The Theoben Vanquish (shrouded) had NO stripper and maybe 5" of dead airspace forward to the support collar but when a custom ( couldn't fit a hair between pellet & stripper) just silent. Tolerance in a baffle why look at an AZ shroud folks.Even his old .9mm "Pickle" (a FAT huge Drill pickle at that) from the 90's.

The dejour unit does prove what good marketing and fairly high Chinese Q.C. can do for sales. 

John

Baffles me, :)