• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Starting over from scratch, what moderator would you get?

I've had both a Ronin and a Falx on my Prophet Performance in 22. I have it shooting Redesigns at 970 which can be a bit loud. 

Both of the moderators show around 80 db's using a free meter on my IPhone. But, the Ronin sounds like a crack while the Falx is more of a dull thud. I choose the thud.

I've had both a Ronin and a Falx on my Prophet Performance in 22. I have it shooting Redesigns at 970 which can be a bit loud.

Both of the moderators show around 80 db's using a free meter on my IPhone. But, the Ronin sounds like a crack while the Falx is more of a dull thud. I choose the thud.
That is the main reason I like the sto over the old style sumo I had. It was a lower pitch and more enjoyable to my ears. I wish he still made the all carbon ultra light mods.

The quietest moderator that I have came on my Stormrider. After some testing and experimentation I managed to replace the OEM baffles with something which marginally improved the sound level (about 1 dB) without affecting accuracy. That particular OEM moderator was significantly quieter than my Tatsu, my Tanto, and the moderator I kept on my BSA Lonestar (what a fine rifle), I do not recall the vendor at this moment. It was, in fact about 6 dBs quiter than those offerings at power levels below around 35 fpe. The quietest one I have now is one of my own design. Here is a cross section:

IMG_20220806_114419102_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Hugget would be my choice. I've tried Odb, Donny, Weirauch. I had a Donny Ronin on a Taipan Vet .25 and it was quiet. I put a Hugget Belitta on and it was noticeably quieter. Nothing but hammer slap now. The bonus is I don't like the "soup can" look on the end of the barrel. The Belitta is the same diameter as the Taipan shroud and 4.7" in length. It blends right in

Reactions: Ray_PR
Weihrauch or Hugget. They are unimpressively simple on the inside, but the internals take up very little space and they are better for it in this respect.

The DonnyFL stuff is overrated to me, and I have found their thread tolerances rather sloppy compared to others. Look at all the clipping issues people have with them. And the fix is to "go up a caliber". Not to mention they are butt-ugly and heavy. Easy availability and price are the crowning qualities for the DonnyFL stuff.

I had a Neil Clague that was pretty decent and very lightweight. But he was such a butthole to deal with that I won't have another one.

Very intelligent chime, yes the 6-7" 30mm seems optimum, very interesting on the huggett snipe, the Donnyfl koi, the huma mod30 following the same footprint.

I believe Huma Air are under rated and nice there module, being stackable, I have the Huggett Snipe because I got a deal but it out did others I've had but looking to shave off a couple more dB's and this is really a lot of fun trying anyway.

Neil Clague's moderator are OK, but he seems to not follow his own advice as closely as I would hope in keeping the hole size closer to the pellet size after receiving a few of his mods, being over sized enough to drop the next size and more pellet easily through the center of it

He's cranky about not using a sound meter to research mods, claiming you get a better reading using your ears only

FYI please state the mod you have from companies that make multiple models in this thread ?

Weihrauch looks interesting, but most Euro companies won't sell to US buyers

View attachment 200592
Neil C is a very stubborn guy surprised people still deal with that guy!