• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Starting over from scratch, what moderator would you get?

For those not happy with the performance of their DonnyFL moderator, have you tried using a different filtration material? There are several densities of felt, screen, cloth and the like that can greatly change the sound dampening results.

I am happy with my DonnyFL Emperor and Ronin moderators as they came from the factory. Maybe when time allows, I will experiment with different materials to see if I can discern a difference.

For those not happy with the performance of their DonnyFL moderator, have you tried using a different filtration material? There are several densities of felt, screen, cloth and the like that can greatly change the sound dampening results.

I am happy with my DonnyFL Emperor and Ronin moderators as they came from the factory. Maybe when time allows, I will experiment with different materials to see if I can discern a difference.

But wouldn't you agree when you get a moderator you should expect all that has been tested and optimized so you wouldn't have to jerry-rigged it for added improvements?

Reactions: N2 Shooter
For me personally I like my sto levitas. Carbon reinforced 3d print. It has lived on my streamline, replaced a sumo, the sumo was a touch quieter but the levitas is close. One of the big things I like about the levitas is the weight, my groups moved up due to less barrel droop. Now I’m my higher powered guns I like the huma mod 40 and 50.

Levitas? he's sales a Accipiter, Falx and Sarissa, never hear of his Levitas

The levitas was a very early model, not made anymore

But wouldn't you agree when you get a moderator you should expect all that has been tested and optimized so you wouldn't have to jerry-rigged it for added improvements?

I wouldn't necessarily consider it a half assed move to get improvements. There are so many variables to consider, like when I first got my Ronin, I was using it on a Benjamin Bulldog .357 200fpe gun. Now I'm using it on a FX Maverick VP .30cal 90fpe gun, the type of material may be able to be changed or loosened to allow more of the lower pressure air to penetrate. On the Bulldog, the wrapping may have to be fairly tight in order to allow the air to enter in but not overwhelm the moderator volume. DonnlyFL even states this on his website.

Moderators are simply not a one size fits all just based on the diameter and exit hole size. There is a little more happing in a dynamic fashion, more than I care to remember from my engineering classes. 😀

I wouldn't necessarily consider it a half assed move to get improvements. There are so many variables to consider, like when I first got my Ronin, I was using it on a Benjamin Bulldog .357 200fpe gun. Now I'm using it on a FX Maverick VP .30cal 90fpe gun, the type of material may be able to be changed or loosened to allow more of the lower pressure air to penetrate. On the Bulldog, the wrapping may have to be fairly tight in order to allow the air to enter in but not overwhelm the moderator volume. DonnlyFL even states this on his website.

Moderators are simply not a one size fits all just based on the diameter and exit hole size. There is a little more happing in a dynamic fashion, more than I care to remember from my engineering classes.
1f600.svg

But there aren't much you could change in the interior short of redesigning it over, you could try changing the felt or foam, STO sells purple foam at a price the will make your nose bleed but not much more then that.

Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 9.28.40 PM.1650515386.jpg

16968BBD-4C78-4D56-8FE2-41B3449FB788.1649483129.jpeg

I was getting pretty tired of the bark from my Crown w/380mm and factory can.
I just received my Falx a couple days ago. I’ve only put 30 shots through it but I’m very impressed with how quite it is.

The Silent Thunder Ordnance moderators are really well designed. Nothing fancy to look at but that shouldn’t be the purpose, correct? Air stripping, flow delaying, and sound absorption using science is their end goal. They’ve scored. 

The Falx has improved accuracy of my rigs and performs a wonderful job of hushing 🤫 the report. I’ve vinyl wrapped mine. I have a Sarissa on the way that I’ll run on my .22 Vulcan 3 700mm. 
2F23C604-D200-4AEF-8C61-A0FC99BCD983.1650554274.jpeg
2B064EB5-C396-4F89-B740-E60E9ABD2F33.1650554275.jpeg
645CC0AB-6909-4ECB-A8C6-B15E8AE70233.1650554277.jpeg

Ditto from @zx10wall I've been using them since they were 100% carbon fiber and weighed 3 ounces. In fact, I still have that one on my .25 FX Boss. The STO Falx is my go to moderator in the "high flow" configuration. I have one on my .25 Delta Wolf and .25 Impact Slugger. These are the most high tech moderators on the market, and also some of the least expensive. They use an efficient air stripper followed by a Tesla Gas Diode configuration...

Reactions: Jlowe