• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Starting over from scratch, what moderator would you get?

Weihrauch. They are far from exciting in looks and feature no fancy monocore etc, but they basically perfected the 30mm diameter, ~170mm length moderator that the huggett snipe, the Donnyfl koi, the huma mod30 long and others have copied with varying degrees of success. Plus they aren't expensive and there is a definite tendency in this sport to desire expensive things more.

The huma mod40 and Huggett astille are also excellent, somewhat breaking the mold of the fatter mods being louder. Other than those two we agree on that point. Volume really isn't the only thing that matters.

There is a knee jerk response by many to recommend donnyfl over anything else, in a lot of cases I suspect because they've been told they are the best and because they haven't tried much, if anything else. Nothing wrong with donnyfl but there are plenty that match or better them. I've owned three and played with them all. They've all been sold and the moderators above are what I've kept.

Of course it's also got a lot to do with what tone etc your ears like to hear too, so my best mod(s) may not be anyone else's.
Along the lines of "tone" preference, Ted Bier says in a pretty recent YouTube video that he prefers the shorter and fatter moderator (I think it was the Tatsu) over longer ones (the KOI?) on his Wildcat MKIII with a 500 mm barrel because it changes the tone or pitch of the sound. From here, this makes sense. S7

I just purchased the Silent Thunder Ordnance Falx high flow.
I have been using the FX/DonnyFL for my M3 shooting H&N 40gr Heavy HP @985fps
The Falx is an improvement in sound suppression.
The Tesla gas diode system does a great job.
There has been no POI change or any reduction of velocity

20221206_171337.jpg

20221205_200440.jpg

20221205_164934.jpg

20221205_195607.jpg

I just got an Impulse IA-1200 with an extra baffle from a member here. It's in .25 caliber and I took it out the other day on my Brocock Sniper XR Magnum. Good suppression and a bit quieter than my .25 caliber Uragan with the factory moderator. It is a bit quieter than my DonnyFL Ronin in 30 caliber that I use on my RTI Prophet performance, but I do have it set to around 180bar, so a bit more power than the .25s I could get away with it the back yard, but not quite like the smaller calibers. The baffles are bright blue so I have become a air gun "stylist" now - LOL. Good build quality and expandable with the baffles. I am going to take it out again and see what t sounds like with the extra baffle. I don't have a db monitor so it's just me and my tinnitus ears!

I just got an Impulse IA-1200 with an extra baffle from a member here. It's in .25 caliber and I took it out the other day on my Brocock Sniper XR Magnum. Good suppression and a bit quieter than my .25 caliber Uragan with the factory moderator. It is a bit quieter than my DonnyFL Ronin in 30 caliber that I use on my RTI Prophet performance, but I do have it set to around 180bar, so a bit more power than the .25s I could get away with it the back yard, but not quite like the smaller calibers. The baffles are bright blue so I have become a air gun "stylist" now - LOL. Good build quality and expandable with the baffles. I am going to take it out again and see what t sounds like with the extra baffle. I don't have a db monitor so it's just me and my tinnitus ears!
You don't need a purpose built dB tool. There are plenty of simple and/or more sophisticated apps at the play store which will equip you to test your own moderators. The big thing to remember is that comparisons are only really meaningful when you test using the same measuring device, at the same time, with the same setup. That's the first rule of such comparisons. Do that for a while and you will get the hang of it. If you use one of these "spectrum analyzers" you can get even more informative information from your phone, such as duration and frequency of the shot.

spectrum analyzers

Reactions: Pfddi
Dan!

Huggett Snipes here for 2 of the three rifles that I own. The other has an STO FALX on it. I like the sound of the FALX, but like the looks of the Huggets better, plus Huggett sound is very close to the STO. Huggett also helped me out when I needed something. Super cool peeps there, a customer for life.

mike
Sorry to bring this old thread up again, I want to buy one of this Huggett snipe moderator for my new Avenge-X classic in .25 but I have not had any luck, can you please share the link were I can buy one? Thanks

This are all the moderators that I have had tested in my .22 and .25 cal pcp airguns, in one of the pics from left to right is the Hugget snipe, the 3D printed Buck-Rail, the DonnyFL Sumo and FX moderators and in another pic is the 3D printed Cameron that I bought directly from Ebay. Between all of them the one that gave me the most sound deduction was the Hugget Snipe, thats why they the only ones I am currently using in all my airguns. I posted a video that corroborates my results 😉.

IMG_6553.jpeg

IMG_6552.jpeg

IMG_6391.png

IMG_6390.png

IMG_7486.png

IMG_8723.jpeg

Last edited: