• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Starting over from scratch, what moderator would you get?

It's overwhelming how many air stripper, moderator, silencers, whatever is your favorite name out there, both store bought and custom

I think getting the pellet hole size as close to the pellet size is one factor that plays out concerning lower dB's and so many designers over-do the opening, of course it could cause clipping if to close too.

Second is not going over the shroud size of the rifle say about 30mm, too large seems to up the dB's not reduce it to me.

Third is not to short or too long, say about 6-7"

And forth, the mystery of the guts of the moderator, from felt, metal mesh and baffling corridors

Of course, barrel length, pellet size play a big part

For me I'll be clear by saying and average barrel of 500mm, 25 cal (6.35) and close to 920fps 1/2 -20 (not the big long banana stuff)

I've tried many moderators and find shorter or fatter mods fail in taming the dB's but longer and slimmer move closer to success in getting that sweet spot in the backyard

So what mod after years of shooting stand out as your most loved moderator to date?

Thanks

Dan

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.33.26 AM.1649435646.jpg

Reactions: mercado
Weihrauch. They are far from exciting in looks and feature no fancy monocore etc, but they basically perfected the 30mm diameter, ~170mm length moderator that the huggett snipe, the Donnyfl koi, the huma mod30 long and others have copied with varying degrees of success. Plus they aren't expensive and there is a definite tendency in this sport to desire expensive things more.

The huma mod40 and Huggett astille are also excellent, somewhat breaking the mold of the fatter mods being louder. Other than those two we agree on that point. Volume really isn't the only thing that matters.

There is a knee jerk response by many to recommend donnyfl over anything else, in a lot of cases I suspect because they've been told they are the best and because they haven't tried much, if anything else. Nothing wrong with donnyfl but there are plenty that match or better them. I've owned three and played with them all. They've all been sold and the moderators above are what I've kept. 

Of course it's also got a lot to do with what tone etc your ears like to hear too, so my best mod(s) may not be anyone else's. 

Weihrauch. They are far from exciting in looks and feature no fancy monocore etc, but they basically perfected the 30mm diameter, ~170mm length moderator that the huggett snipe, the Donnyfl koi, the huma mod30 long and others have copied with varying degrees of success. Plus they aren't expensive and there is a definite tendency in this sport to desire expensive things more.

The huma mod40 and Huggett astille are also excellent, somewhat breaking the mold of the fatter mods being louder. Other than those two we agree on that point. Volume really isn't the only thing that matters.

There is a knee jerk response by many to recommend donnyfl over anything else, in a lot of cases I suspect because they've been told they are the best and because they haven't tried much, if anything else. Nothing wrong with donnyfl but there are plenty that match or better them. I've owned three and played with them all. They've all been sold and the moderators above are what I've kept. 

Of course it's also got a lot to do with what tone etc your ears like to hear too, so my best mod(s) may not be anyone else's.

Very intelligent chime, yes the 6-7" 30mm seems optimum, very interesting on the huggett snipe, the Donnyfl koi, the huma mod30 following the same footprint.

I believe Huma Air are under rated and nice there module, being stackable, I have the Huggett Snipe because I got a deal but it out did others I've had but looking to shave off a couple more dB's and this is really a lot of fun trying anyway.

Neil Clague's moderator are OK, but he seems to not follow his own advice as closely as I would hope in keeping the hole size closer to the pellet size after receiving a few of his mods, being over sized enough to drop the next size and more pellet easily through the center of it

He's cranky about not using a sound meter to research mods, claiming you get a better reading using your ears only

FYI please state the mod you have from companies that make multiple models in this thread ?

Weihrauch looks interesting, but most Euro companies won't sell to US buyers

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 11.23.28 AM.1649443479.jpg

a couple of things ... for one, a gun is either quiet or loud to start with, and theres other factors that affect noise .. i havent found hole size to be real critical and prefer it larger, i use a 22/25 on my 17 and it works quite well ..... secondly, to my way of thinking 'precision' is very important and a place like donnyfl delivers on that .. trying to save money with some half effort 3d printed garbage is going to result in a similar performance level, and not just noise but accuracy and other problems .. that said i like the sumo on everything 17-25 ... got an emperor on the big gun, but again, it takes more than an ldc to get a gun really quiet ..

My older huma mods are my favorite for sure in the conditions and application you mentioned. I don't mind having some bark if it means having better maneuverability.

Gen 1 Huma mod30 takes the cake. They used to have 6.5mm bore, now 7mm? I want to say. For .22 cal. It's a large difference in sound level, but I'm sure tons of people were complaining of clipping.

Anywho... Make it as short or as long as you want, lol. Apples to apples, this old variant beat out anything similar in size in sound tests. And it's apparent to the ear.

PSX_20191210_160158.1649447749.jpg
141276425_10158912282169034_8014188568009553806_n.1649447790.jpg
130702347_10158781054609034_3080909546441724779_n.1649447890.jpg
86307952_10157877897029034_3534196367310192640_n.1649447940.jpg

Reactions: rigbymauser
I second the vote for Weihrauch’s. They are pretty basic, they make several models to match their rifle barrel diameters and calibers and they work very well. Not easy to get but they are obtainable. I just sold one in the classifieds within about 10 minutes of posting it.

What model was it, you must still have a picture of if it

Thanks