Starting out the youngin...

Looking to buy an air rifle for the youngin. I've looked at all the basic starters like Red Ryder, Model 840 Grizzly(the one I started with as a kid), and many others. He's only nine years old so his arms are short and hard for him to hold my BB/pellet rifle, and my Ruger Impact Max .22 is way to large for him to shoot safely. What would you folks recommend? I want something that will shoot both BBs and pellets, fairly easy to load(pellet wise), and light enough for him to hold. It's also got to be easy for him to cock, no Co2 as I'm trying to teach him to be survival minded and Co2 cartridges aren't available in the woods. .177 would be best but if you can recommend a .22 within these parameters, I'll consider it a more viable option. 

P.s. Links or pictures and specs much appreciated.

@Brian10956

I looked into that one as I had one of the original ones with the plastic faux wood grain stock and foregrip. It's was a fun little rifle. Cant remember if it had a smoothbore or rifled barrel. I do remember it was very accurate passed about 20-30 feet. I will check into the 760 since it's different from the one I used to have.

@shambozzie

I want to get him a rifle, not a pistol with a removable stock. While I like the way they are, I'm not a fan of them. Once he has become accurate I may get him a 1322, but until he can consistently hit within a 6" target at 20 yards, he will only use low power pump rifle because we do live in a neighborhood with houses around us and no other place to shoot without receiving reprimands from officers of different agencies.

"ScopedIn"@BigTinBoat
I was looking at those the other day. How accurate are they? I'm teaching him, eventually, to be able to shoot caps off of soda bottles like I can. Is it accurate enough to do so at a minimum of 20 yards?
Lighten the trigger and tape the barrel (google these mods they are simple) and the accuracy is there in the right hands.

While I agree the HW30 is a fine gun, the cost might be prohibitive especially if you're not sure he enjoys shooting. Personally I would go the $35 option first.

Try a Crosman 2100. Multipump with Rifled barrel. shoots pellets or bb's. The multipump allows more or less power depending on how many times its pumped. Depending on his strength, he can grow into it a little bit. 

Can get some decent accuracy using pellets. Most likely can do the bottle caps at 20 yards, but will be better than the 760, for not a whole lot more money.
I was actually able to get about a 10" group at 50 meters with mine one day. Wind and all. It is just a lightweight and fun to shoot gun. 

Thanks for the recommendations folks. Would like very much to get an HW30 but that is far out of the budget for him, especially for a starter. I'll stick with the lower end rifles for now, under $100. As well, I'm not looking for him to keep it for too long as he will eventually upgrade to something with more power and accuracy within a few years. Just need something he can start practicing with. I'll be looking into a few of the above mentioned and see what he likes.