Start with a "budget gun" or go all out?

E9C555D2-E051-4176-B5CB-370942770EB6.1634643703.jpeg

Yes,

When I can, I’d like one of those … not sold in USA i’m told. It almost looks like my Akela can be converted to forward cocking with parts from that Empire

Depends. If you’re going to buy a budget gun and then “mod it” up in price? Or are looking for a simple good starter PCP to cut your teeth on? There’s no arguing that better, more expensive and refined PCPs are nice. And the reality is you’ll probably own more than one eventually. I was so surprised at the repeatable accuracy and range of my first PCP (Gamo Urban). After many tins of pellets through it I had a better idea of what I wanted in my next PCP rifle. The only reason I sold the Gamo was because it was in the safe most of the time after I upgraded. It, the Urban gave up nothing in practical hunting accuracy out to 60 plus yards to my two more expensive, refined PCPs. In retrospect I should’ve kept it as a spare or loaner.

My 2 cts: it depends on who you are, and what type of things you like and what annoys you… if you dont mind things that are a little bit gritty, or do you expect it to be butter smooth. Do you mind if things need to be handled with care, or do you expect them to last 100 years. Do you require multishot, and extrenally adjustable regs. Do you expect shooting groups or exactly the same poi every time (its not the same). Do you expect a light gun, or dont you mind a bench-rest only gun (pcp,s are heavy icw pb,s)

Also, cost is not the same as value, but quality costs money, and many production companies adopt “lean”-principles, which mostly does not contribute to them lasting a 100 years.

My advise would be to buy a simple 2nd hand high-quality pcp that will last a 100 years. It will shoot well, and you will develop a sense of what you like and require for you next purchase (many to come), and you have no problem selling on your gun at minimal loss. 

i had a xisco sentry 705-9 as my first pcp, flying dragon ,$325 with scope shipped . Once you figured out the write pellets, hammer setting it was a one whole at 20 yrds . The gun was very heave, but a great shooter, also a trigger job. Now i own a fx crown love it not pellet picky, will shoot crosman premier 14.3 hollow points one hole group

Your mistake was not the gun, it was the crap compressor. Everybody, that includes you, should realize the major cost in PCP is not the gun. It is the air they take..

I have three PCPs. The most expensive was under $500 - it is a Snow Peak P35. At the time I bought it I was planning to buy a FX Crown Continum. I had the money and was waiting on them to come in stock. But the Crown was not what I really wanted, I wanted a bullpup. But I shoot from the left shoulder and I can't shoot an Impact, the magazine is in my face. Bullpups with the cocking lever in the back are also a no-go because the cocking lever is in my face. But the P35 has a forward cocking lever and a flush fit magazine. Works great for me and I am very satisfied. My next PCP will probably be a P35 in 22 (first one is 25). It weighs 5.2 lbs without a scope, is under 30 inches long with 450mm barrel, is regulated, and is very quiet with a simple low cost hair curler and felt modification.

A RTI prophet could provide much of what I like about the P35 but it's heavier, much more costly, and would need a big moderator to get to the sound level of my nearly stock P35. I'm sure it's nicer in many ways but I don't want another pound or more of weight to carry around and a significantly longer gun if I want it quiet.

To me you buy what you want that has the features you want. If it's cheaper, you can almost count on needing to do a bit of setup/tuning but that is fun anyway.

A good test is how you buy cars. Do you need a high end model with all the options to be satisfied? If so, you probably do not want a $300 PCP. If you just want transportation, a beater will do for a car, then you may be very happy with a less costly PCP. (I have a BMW convertible I bought new but also a low end Ram 1500 pickup).

Back about 5 years ago i knew I wanted and was going to get into PCP air guns. I loved pellet guns when i was a preteen and teenager..

I done a lot of research and watched a lot of YouTube on the subject. about 2 years goes buy and i purchase a Yong Heng and a Gauntlet when it first came out.,

While I was excited at first that I just broke into the PCP market, I was not happy after about a month into it, basically after the moonlight phase.

Forward until November of 2021 and I decided to get another PCP. This time I decided not to screw aground with anything other than the best. It was either going to be a Daystate RedWolf or a FX Impact M3.

I've seen all these new releases of PCP over he past 5 years and to be honest they all looked and preformed horrible if you spent anything less than 1500.

I still have the Gauntlet and the Yong Heng. I haven't touched the Gauntlet in 2 years because it is so under whelming to me and way under my expectations for a rifle. It shoots good groups but it really is a cheaply made and put together POS. The Yong Heng is amazing and still use it to this day and all I've ever done is change the oil in it.

Anyway. After purchasing, November of 2021, the FX Impact M3 .25 compact with a 580cc 300 bar bottle, DonnyFL Koi, some extra mag's, digital gauges, FX no limit mounts, scope and all he saber tact stuff one should it was a lot of money. If I'm not mistaken I've got around 4500+ in his gun. this includes a few x8 tin orders at Pyramid Air for lead.

After the M3 purchase would I by it again or recommend it to someone else? Or purchase a low quality gun?

Ultimately I would purchase the most gun that I could afford. If new isn't an option I would purchase a used FX or Daystate. I just saw a Daystate Huntsman this morning on here for around $900 that's HUMA regulated. I'd get something like that.

Basically in hindsight either a new FX or Daystate or a used FX or Daystate. I wouldn't waste my money on anything else.

Back about 5 years ago i knew I wanted and was going to get into PCP air guns. I loved pellet guns when i was a preteen and teenager..

I done a lot of research and watched a lot of YouTube on the subject. about 2 years goes buy and i purchase a Yong Heng and a Gauntlet when it first came out.,

While I was excited at first that I just broke into the PCP market, I was not happy after about a month into it, basically after the moonlight phase.

Forward until November of 2021 and I decided to get another PCP. This time I decided not to screw aground with anything other than the best. It was either going to be a Daystate RedWolf or a FX Impact M3.

I've seen all these new releases of PCP over he past 5 years and to be honest they all looked and preformed horrible if you spent anything less than 1500.

I still have the Gauntlet and the Yong Heng. I haven't touched the Gauntlet in 2 years because it is so under whelming to me and way under my expectations for a rifle. It shoots good groups but it really is a cheaply made and put together POS. The Yong Heng is amazing and still use it to this day and all I've ever done is change the oil in it.

Anyway. After purchasing, November of 2021, the FX Impact M3 .25 compact with a 580cc 300 bar bottle, DonnyFL Koi, some extra mag's, digital gauges, FX no limit mounts, scope and all he saber tact stuff one should it was a lot of money. If I'm not mistaken I've got around 4500+ in his gun. this includes a few x8 tin orders at Pyramid Air for lead.

After the M3 purchase would I by it again or recommend it to someone else? Or purchase a low quality gun?

Ultimately I would purchase the most gun that I could afford. If new isn't an option I would purchase a used FX or Daystate. I just saw a Daystate Huntsman this morning on here for around $900 that's HUMA regulated. I'd get something like that.

Basically in hindsight either a new FX or Daystate or a used FX or Daystate. I wouldn't waste my money on anything else.

There are many gun manufacturers out there that have great offerings in the pcp market. Going from a gauntlet to an fx or daystate is quite the jump, but they are not the only manufacturers I would recommend. May be your opinion, but not good advice. Your best bet is to do your research, and make an educated decision with the money you have. This could include taipan, kalibrgun, edgun, brocock, fx, daystate, and MANY more. 

the perks with the current pcp market, is there are many quality gun manufacturers to chose from, and something for everyone.