• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Starlings ganged up on Yellow bellied Sapsucker

So I have been watching a pair of Yellow Bellied Sapsucker hollow out their nest in the neighbors tree. Just this evening the Starlings ganged up and pulled the female out of the nest down to the ground. It is windy and I want to wait till later when it is quiet and less neighbors moving around to be spotted. Have my line of sight ( if I miss) will land in vacant large lot. I love the poor BC of the Crow Magnums. Just one other thing... I want to make sure I only nail the female, so a little recon is planned. 

So I have been watching a pair of Yellow Bellied Sapsucker hollow out their nest in the neighbors tree. Just this evening the Starlings ganged up and pulled the female out of the nest down to the ground. It is windy and I want to wait till later when it is quiet and less neighbors moving around to be spotted. Have my line of sight ( if I miss) will land in vacant large lot. I love the poor BC of the Crow Magnums. Just one other thing... I want to make sure I only nail the female, so a little recon is planned.

Just curious, why just female starling?

I have to say I am happy with my personal war against the starlings. I have 3 different woodpecker varieties taking peanuts from my squirrel bait station, I mean bird feeder. One by one, early morning, breaks and lunch. My monster bottled Mrod is whittling down the starling infestation. I'm thinking of putting up woodpecker houses. Ted mentioned that plexiglass in front and the woodpeckers can climb up to the hole, but starlings can't. I'll look into it.

Jim

Males don’t lay eggs
1f609.svg

But they certainly fertilize the eggs. To Hynzie’s point they all look like female to me! 😆

How do ya tell em apart..all starlings need dispatching. 

👆👆👆 this! And with prejudice! ☠️☠️☠️

So If you dispatch the female, 1, no eggs. 2. the male will return and call for his mate. Bagged the males consistently doing this. How to tell them apart, Tedsholdover has given tutorials on this. Males slightly bigger, more yellow beak, and glossier in color. Also males like being the look out and slightly stand offish. They will be high in an adjoining tree and wait quite a while before deeming the coast is clear. Smart like crows, shoot from a hide, cause they learn quick what happens when a long black muzzle is pointed their direction. Agreed on removing them all, it was just vicious how they pulled out the female and the noise was disturbing.

Four of the eight dispatched so far. There are several holes/rotted knots in this tree (think mini apartment complex) They are really jittery now but still return. So I will let things calm down today. Tomorrow is a new day... No photos, don't need photographic evidence. Discharging in the city limits is a no-no, I'm on the edge. check zero every time. Love the 10x44 vector optic, makes me a little better with the 10x power. Shooting Hydra in .25, Crow Magnums @ 800fps on my Caldwell Chrono. Sound suppression with ebay baffle replaced factory setup and DonnyFL Tanto to make things just a little more suppressed. It does the job. Two noises, hammer spring and thump. Haven't gotten a de-pinger yet. 

It's a 10 stage vented baffle for Hatsan QE. https://www.ebay.com/usr/geoffk?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 Had to do minor mod to fit the Hydra. Basically used sharp knippers to cut and fit. But don't just start modifying without really seeing what's the "hold-up". I Cut the front end piece from the front first cone is what I did. Did it help? I think so as far as sound suppression but like I mentioned, that ping from the hammer bounce is my main culprit for noise. Compared side by side to a friend that has a Hydra .25 in stock for no moderator mine is just a little bit quieter overall. Now to keep people informed on the starlings. Neighbors had a birthday party so no dispatching as to not concern Grandma's and Aunts. PM if needing other info. Getting up early and getting rid of all of them tomorrow. Weather permitting. Sorry Mods if I strayed from guidelines on posting. 

Got another one this morning, the others followed it to the ground and did a WTF. Yeah, it was a female I'm pretty sure. Neighbors are out and about now, and wind has picked up. So a pause in my day to do something else. I did miss first thing, first shot. I think I pulled it a bit. I try not to let that happen. Zero is still good.