Starlings and why farmers hate them - A Shooting Video

You sir, just earned a subscription. I’m an animal lover. I’ve also lived on a small farm in a previous life. Starlings are amazing to watch as they fly in unison. It’s called a murmuration. That said, they are filthy, noisy pains in the ass. We had two 100+ year old maples on our property. They would roost there en masse and drown out the sound of the roosters crowing. The endless crap everywhere was bad enough, but they would descend on bags of feed, peck them open, and gorge themselves until they fouled the feed with their feces so much that even they wouldn’t eat it. Kill them. Kill them all.

@OMG what a boatload of starlings!!! That must be one of the levels of Hell with all of the Devil’s Spawn (starlings) there in that barn. Keep up the fight in the Holy War to rid North America of the evil menace called the Starling.

36CF8133-57CB-487D-91C6-1D640844CD32.1617561578.jpeg

Yep some people are so ignorant about pest birds and the damage they do. You are right about having the lights off while shooting as the starlings will stay still for the most part and you will get a much better picture with your nv site. I personally need to get back to one farm to shoot this dairy farmers starlings. The first time I went there I did not know he kept the lights on all night. It was hard to use my nv site and I could not see them well enough with my flash attached either. The problem is they milk to about 9;30 pm so I have to wait till their done milking then I can go shoot. Back in the winter time the weather was not the best for shooting. One thing the farmer told me some of his newborns calves were dying from an intestinal problems from the bird poop. I wonder what mister snowflake thinks about that piece of information. Bill

Yep some people are so ignorant about pest birds and the damage they do. You are right about having the lights off while shooting as the starlings will stay still for the most part and you will get a much better picture with your nv site. I personally need to get back to one farm to shoot this dairy farmers starlings. The first time I went there I did not know he kept the lights on all night. It was hard to use my nv site and I could not see them well enough with my flash attached either. The problem is they milk to about 9;30 pm so I have to wait till their done milking then I can go shoot. Back in the winter time the weather was not the best for shooting. One thing the farmer told me some of his newborns calves were dying from an intestinal problems from the bird poop. I wonder what mister snowflake thinks about that piece of information. Bill

Yes, all the dairy farmers keep the lights on all night long here as well. Right up front I let them know that I have to turn off the lights and that I will turn them on and clean up after I am done. They show me where to turn them off and that's it. I text to let them know I am coming and the workers go about their business as usual. They move to and from the parlor whether the lights are on or off. 😉

Didn't read all the replies but get rid of them permanently. Watch Agrilaser on the tube. They use a green laser. A green laser off Ebay works just as good in the $30 price range. Not in the high 600s for the least expensive agrilaser. I too had exactly the same thing happen. The farmer lost calves when calving and the cows were getting sick form the bird poop. I waited unitl it was a dark dark night, no moon, and went into the barn and started waving the green laser back and forth across the roof of the barn, I ended up driving them out of the barn into the dark where they can't see. It took one application and they never came back and it's been 6 months ago. Has to be green as that's the wave length they can see. Warning!! You will totally screw up your high shooting volume permission. It was worth it. The farmer was really pleased.

Please if you are going to use a laser learn about them. One hit in the eye with a 500Mw laser will destroy a retina. Not only on you but on a cow, dog, etc. And...lasers don't ricochet like a gun projectile. They can reflect off any shiny surface. A high gloss white painted surface is one. Window glass on an angle can do it. So can a stainless milk storage tank. If you get laser safety glasses they have to match the wave length of the laser you are using. And with a green laser there is also a infrared associated with it. As little as we pesters might use one and with a little care, what's behind your laser target just like with your rifle is equally important, they can be used. It works on many birds. Keep the geese of your lawn and the neighbors free ranging chicken out of your yard. Just move the green light up behind them and keep it moving towards them. No need to put it on the bird. Have had chickens resort to flight to get away.

Nice shooting. Great video. direct information and I didn't have to block out meaningless music in the back ground. Never have heard much music when out pesting anyway.

Great video and at our permission the farmer has asked us to take out every starling we see. We go there at night to do some ratting and pop by during the day sometimes to get the starlings. They poop all over everything at the farm and there are 1000's of them. We could shoot 50 to 100 a day and not put a dent in them. Great video and I will be looking up at the rafters the next time we are there doing out ratting!