• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Starlings and why farmers hate them - A Shooting Video

.. my thoughts are if its not 'your' farm and 'your' crops your probably making an excuse to go kill things ... lets be honest about it lol .. personally i dont like to just go arbitrarily take the life of living things somewhere, i started feeling bad about it around 40ish i think, after i'd seen enough death myself ... but if theres a good reason yeah go for it ...

.. my thoughts are if its not 'your' farm and 'your' crops your probably making an excuse to go kill things ... lets be honest about it lol .. personally i dont like to just go arbitrarily take the life of living things somewhere, i started feeling bad about it around 40ish i think, after i'd seen enough death myself ... but if theres a good reason yeah go for it ...

My thoughts ... umm, maybe you should take your thoughts and your eyeballs somewhere that you won't get your panties in a wad every time someone makes a pesting video?

It seems like this was all explained to you once before. Maybe you are having trouble with your memory? So let's do it again.

YOU ARE IN THE HUNTING SECTION

Farmer Brown has a barn full of livestock. Everyday Farmer Brown feeds and waters his livestock in the barn. There is also a flock of starlings which live in that barn and freeload off of Farmer Brown's feed and water. Free food is great, right? One would think that those starlings would not be so self-absorbed as to (after reaping the benefits of Farmer Brown's food and water) crap in the water trough and all over the food the other animals are also eating... But no! Starlings are like some people. They just don't know when they are being an ass. So they wander into the barn every so often and squawk loudly and crap all over everything. Then they tuck their thumbs into their vests, puff out their chest, and proclaim their MORAL SUPERIORITY to the rest of the cattle in the barn...

The cattle are not impressed.

Nice shooting on the pest starlings. You can see where they land on the back of the cows and peck the area raw. I remember that story about how they got here. The guy wanted all the birds that Shakespeare wrote about to be here too. I remember that the first batch didn’t take hold so he put in another order, uggg. They work in groups to overcome nest sites. And while a few are harassing a flicker or other cavity nesting bird the other ones are resting. Each spring I have to protect the nesting boxes I have up, and I always see that behavior. It’s so very satisfying to dump a few starlings around the nesting box while the flicker watches them fall lol! Thanks for sharing your videos.

Nice video this is something I do for local farms and businesses all the time. Unlike some people I see no problem helping them out I have yet to find a farmer or business owner who had the time or equipment to do what we do. We have one local roost with an estimated 10 million birds and that is just one roost and there are places where the grackles and cowbirds are worse pests. So how are they supposed to be controlled with harsh language? To the guys who hunt and pest keep at it I'm going out today myself and bust as many as possible just for our member who thinks it's wrong to protect livestock, food supplies, equipment and buildings.

Is there some reason they cannot just move the cattle out seal the barn and gas those birds ?

Yes. The roof of the barns are open at the top. About 2 feet on either side of the apex and run the entire length of the barns, between 150 and 450 yards long.

Also, all the sides are wide open. They only have fabric to cover them during the winter months....

I herd that the drooping s in the feed lot is not very healthy for the animals? I guess you could box up a bunch of them and send them back to England to your buddy"💕

I had one farmer text me and ask me to go over to one of his barns when I could this winter. The vet told him to reduce the starlings as it was starting to

affect the cows health in that barn. :(