Starling madness

Took advantage of the winter storm here a few days ago and put out some feed for those nasty starlings and it paid off in spades. I don't know about your but starlings are at the top of my list of vile, invasive birds that cost farmers dearly in feeds and contamination from the droppings. So here is my tribute to this unwanted pest with a grackle topping!
20221228_114029[1].jpg

Took advantage of the winter storm here a few days ago and put out some feed for those nasty starlings and it paid off in spades. I don't know about your but starlings are at the top of my list of vile, invasive birds that cost farmers dearly in feeds and contamination from the droppings. So here is my tribute to this unwanted pest with a grackle topping!View attachment 318820
Great job!

My setup is FX Mav. 22 shooting 14.3gr Crosman HP at 917fps Power wheel 0 or adjust. Distance is 25 yards. 180/150 on my regulators with an 11 gram hammer. I find this setup will allow me to shoot the widest range of pellets and slugs. I tuned the rifle to shoot the NSA 27.5gr at 979 on PW7 ES17 SD 4.

I found that starlings love those crispy cheese snacks even over cracked corn. The Chester Paws Cheddar cheese snack that comes in a large clear plastic jar at wallyworld is the preferred bait. At first I threw a few whole pieces out but when the starlings seen a few of their comrades taking a dirt nap in the killing field, the others would fly in grab a snack piece then fly out real quick. So I started crushing the snacks into a powder so they couldn't do that forcing them to scoop as much as they could in their beaks which gave me more time to setup the shot. The weather was extremely blustery and near blizzard conditions even so I did not use much windage at that distance. These birds I suspect was probably flushed from a farming operation and a flock several hundred seen the bait pile, extremely hungry needing the extra calories to keep warm and could not resist especially after getting a taste of the cheese snack. I had them still coming in with four or five of their fellow varmints laying on the ground. I even had one come in, pretend it was one of the fallen by kinda spreading his wings out a little resting on the ground amid his fallen buddies trying to blend in while he tried to fill his gut. Needless to say he joined his buds in the everlasting. I also got a couple of grackles and a few cowbirds to boot. I counted 100 in all.

My setup is FX Mav. 22 shooting 14.3gr Crosman HP at 917fps Power wheel 0 or adjust. Distance is 25 yards. 180/150 on my regulators with an 11 gram hammer. I find this setup will allow me to shoot the widest range of pellets and slugs. I tuned the rifle to shoot the NSA 27.5gr at 979 on PW7 ES17 SD 4.

I found that starlings love those crispy cheese snacks even over cracked corn. The Chester Paws Cheddar cheese snack that comes in a large clear plastic jar at wallyworld is the preferred bait. At first I threw a few whole pieces out but when the starlings seen a few of their comrades taking a dirt nap in the killing field, the others would fly in grab a snack piece then fly out real quick. So I started crushing the snacks into a powder so they couldn't do that forcing them to scoop as much as they could in their beaks which gave me more time to setup the shot. The weather was extremely blustery and near blizzard conditions even so I did not use much windage at that distance. These birds I suspect was probably flushed from a farming operation and a flock several hundred seen the bait pile, extremely hungry needing the extra calories to keep warm and could not resist especially after getting a taste of the cheese snack. I had them still coming in with four or five of their fellow varmints laying on the ground. I even had one come in, pretend it was one of the fallen by kinda spreading his wings out a little resting on the ground amid his fallen buddies trying to blend in while he tried to fill his gut. Needless to say he joined his buds in the everlasting. I also got a couple of grackles and a few cowbirds to boot. I counted 100 in all.
You are the man. Keep feeding them lead poison.

Targets of opportunity in the backyard - Starling bait on Amazon

1673916695788.jpeg

Starlings have started hitting the bird feeders again here in Oklahoma City. Was browsing Amazon for some more bird feed when I came across this photo, related to this bird seed:

2-Pack of Mr. Bird's Bugs, Nuts, Fruit Small Wild Bird Seed Cylinder 24 oz.​

Brand: Mr. Bird
4.6 out of 5 stars 629 ratings
$39.93

1673916460145.png

Targets of opportunity in the backyard - Starling bait on Amazon

View attachment 323853

Starlings have started hitting the bird feeders again here in Oklahoma City. Was browsing Amazon for some more bird feed when I came across this photo, related to this bird seed:

2-Pack of Mr. Bird's Bugs, Nuts, Fruit Small Wild Bird Seed Cylinder 24 oz.​

Brand: Mr. Bird
4.6 out of 5 stars 629 ratings
$39.93

View attachment 323851
I order some of this give it a try, thks.

Reactions: orangeokie
I just saw a flock in the yard. Noisy little buggers. opened the door they all flew off. I need to get in stealth mode. Lol
Same here. They fly in and out of my yard too fast and I don't want to attract them. I'm just glad they aren't so prevalent here because I spend enough time eyeballing squirrels in the woods.
One day a giant flock of starlings will fly through and it'll be a different story.
Or a farmer will give me pesting permission.🤞

Every morning that I am able, I see a flock of starlings work their way around our urban neighborhood. First I see them in the "draw" and then they work their way up, parallel to our house. Then as they just get out of line of sight, a group decides to raid my feeder. So I am armed and ready and this morning I am taking shots. And I am missing, In the back ground in the kitchen my wife asks did you get them. I say "No". She replies, "I thought you were a good shot." The heart break I felt by that statement. So I took the opportunity to re-zero, for I did change ammo from domes to a super H point and I was compensating incorrectly. After that I sent three into the afterlife, and validated my 'man card' briefly. Thank you Larry1956 for giving me something to shoot for, and the suggestion on bait, bird seed is expensive. Keep up the good work and nice photo of the starling tree.

Reactions: AmosBurton