• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Standing using a bipod when shooting Hunter Pistol

Solution
I agree. I did submit this question to the AAFTA BOG. Will post their reply.
Troy,
After a quick discussion, the BoG agrees that you can shoot standing with a bipod on all non-forced position lanes and follow all other Hunter Pistol rules. On forced position lanes (offhand or kneeling), you must stand or kneel without support per the rules.
Thanks for the question,
Jeff Cloud
AAFTA Treasurer and BoG Member
Reactions: dgeesaman
If asking about shooting the non "forced offhand (standing) shots" lanes then I would allow standing with an unattached bipod. The "forced offhand (standing) shots lane would have to follow the pistol field target rules #17.

Troy,
After a quick discussion, the BoG agrees that you can shoot standing with a bipod on all non-forced position lanes and follow all other Hunter Pistol rules. On forced position lanes (offhand or kneeling), you must stand or kneel without support per the rules.
Thanks for the question,
Jeff Cloud

Solution
Good Day Mr Cole,

I hope this clears up any rules interpretation issues you may have regarding shooting Pistol Field Target Hunter Class standing with unattached bipod:

Troy,
Thanks for the question,
Jeff Cloud

I am assuming you are asking because you can't easily sit down / stand up during a match or maybe you just want to try it all standing?

I am guessing it would be quite a feat to win a match if you shot the non forced targets standing with a non attached bipod and the forced standing shots without one. My groups seated with a non attached bipod just messing around, not in a match, are usually about 75% to 80% smaller then what I can do with a non attached bipod, standing. Even with a non attached TRIPOD (Trigger Stick) my standing groups stink in comparison to seated with a non attached bipod.

I am assuming you are asking because you can't easily sit down / stand up during a match or maybe you just want to try it all standing?

I am guessing it would be quite a feat to win a match if you shot the non forced targets standing with a non attached bipod and the forced standing shots without one. My groups seated with a non attached bipod just messing around, not in a match, are usually about 75% to 80% smaller then what I can do with a non attached bipod, standing. Even with a non attached TRIPOD (Trigger Stick) my standing groups stink in comparison to seated with a non attached bipod.
Good day Geezerhood,

Due to damage done to my left eye and my right hand I am right eye dominant shooting pistol left handed, rifle right handed - since 1975.

I just had an ICD implanted in my right shoulder and a rifle butt rests directly on the device which hurts..... A lot. So pistol is now my only game. I don't want to deal with buckets or chairs on slopes and such. I just want to shoot.

As far as competition goes - PFT courses are rare, so I will shoot FT rifle courses. I will email the match director and ask if pistol is okay, if it is, I will ask the match director to indicate the lanes (not the targets) that have a target or targets at 35 yards or less regardless of KZ size. I will shoot those lanes. I will score the targets as follows : Face Plate = 10 points KZ = 10X.

As far as fame is concerned my scores do not need to be recorded for a rifle course.

When I shoot a PFT course then I will shoot standing with a bipod unless the lane calls for standing or kneeling and I will shoot both off hand standing.

Sounds like a great plan to me! I don't see any reason they would not let you shoot the match that way. I hope it works out and you have a great day at the range!

I enjoy shooting my own version of Field Target with my kids and grandkids, using the cheap Walmart / Crosman shot resetting squirrels, and sometimes we shoot it with my Beeman 2027 pistol with a red dot sight on it. I used to do pretty well with IHMSA 22 rimfire rams at 100 yards using iron sights with a two hand hold, no rest, but I would bet I couldn't hit more than 2 out of 10 these days with the iron sights, but maybe 5/10 with a red dot.