Standing monopod/bipod/tripod options

I'd love to hear about you guys' experience with any standing rest options. I like the idea of a light, simple, standing monopod but since I only have a break-barrel, I think it would be awkward to load while holding it. Something like an Axial EZ-Stik is what I'm picturing. Even with the lanyard, I think it would be awkward.

I'll be honest, the Primos Gen3 Trigger Sticks Standing Tri-Pod looks enticing but it would be hard to justify $150 on a gun rest when my air rifle was only $300. But if anyone has one and it's a game changer for target shooting I'd consider it.

Any other standing options that improve the shooting experience? Bonus points for extra mobility.

I do not see the correlation between the cost of your gun and the cost of a shooting stick or pod of some sort.
If your gun is accurate then shooting off some form of rest is only going to help when shooting in the field.
The question becomes how much and how good of assistance do you want.
I'd agree with that. I also put expensive optics on budget guns. So I just realized I'm being contradictory. Do you use any standing aim assists?

Couldn't steady my monopod, so searched tripods. Found a BOG Havoc in Amazon Warehouse open box discount for $40. Was missing one of the removable plastic caps, that cover pointed ends, but found rubber cap to fit. Leave tripod set up on back porch when I'm outside, handy for steady shots when pests arrive. WM
you lucky duck. I checked ebay and couldnt find anything close to that value.

Is there a specific place to find open box amazon products? Or is that the "used" option available on most amazon items?

Break barrel guns are subject to multiple impulse recoil and usually do not do well when rested and they will react differently to different rest/hold geometries. Spring-Piston guns are a different beast from the PCP guns.

I have used a bench tripod (turret from bench), a stool height tripod (field shot) and a standing height tripod - the Primos Gen3. Most of my pest control work is actually done from the back of my ATV without dismounting but I keep all three on hand for the occasional use.

Of the two field tripods, the Primos Gen3 is the easier to use - and it can be adjusted to stool height or even sitting upright height from the ground. It is not as steady as the field shot tripod, but it is much easier to walk with and to shoot from quickly.

you lucky duck. I checked ebay and couldnt find anything close to that value.

Is there a specific place to find open box amazon products? Or is that the "used" option available on most amazon items?
Not an Amazon regular shopper, pretty sure it was called, "Amazon Warehouse," mainly for open box, lightly damaged stuff. Bought a wooden bathouse with "cosmetic exterior blemish," ended up receiving a box of kindling, so don't always score. WM

Reactions: intrepidaf
Break barrel guns are subject to multiple impulse recoil and usually do not do well when rested and they will react differently to different rest/hold geometries. Spring-Piston guns are a different beast from the PCP guns.

I have used a bench tripod (turret from bench), a stool height tripod (field shot) and a standing height tripod - the Primos Gen3. Most of my pest control work is actually done from the back of my ATV without dismounting but I keep all three on hand for the occasional use.

Of the two field tripods, the Primos Gen3 is the easier to use - and it can be adjusted to stool height or even sitting upright height from the ground. It is not as steady as the field shot tripod, but it is much easier to walk with and to shoot from quickly.
That sounds familiar, I read about that in a few places but have mostly been shooting with a sitting artillery hold so I hadn't noticed any accuracy issues.

I haven't spent a crazy amount of time on paper yet so I may have experienced my hold affecting the accuracy but didn't notice it. I should have experimented with different grips to see how much impact it had but I was having too much fun and forgot to be productive 😂

I'm grateful for your input/shared experience.

Yes, all things are going to be relative. Distance, size of target, expectations for precision all those will color our experience and are hard to quantify over the 'net. Take your time to fully enjoy what you have and learn all you can before getting too caught up with the cool-kids and the latest gotta have it gear.

I give you a big high five for not asking about the "best" or "most"... thank you!

Your access to the PM system takes 10 days to clear and 10 posts. Hit me up anytime.

Welcome to AGN.

Reactions: intrepidaf
Yes, all things are going to be relative. Distance, size of target, expectations for precision all those will color our experience and are hard to quantify over the 'net. Take your time to fully enjoy what you have and learn all you can before getting too caught up with the cool-kids and the latest gotta have it gear.

I give you a big high five for not asking about the "best" or "most"... thank you!

Your access to the PM system takes 10 days to clear and 10 posts. Hit me up anytime.

Welcome to AGN.
I unlocked the PMs an hour or so ago. I made a post about a month ago, and I made 9 tonight. Now I just have to wait until a reasonable hour to reach out to a man about an air rifle.

Reactions: JimNM