Standards for reviewing?

Your vids are good. I'll give one suggestion: DO NOT try to compete with other AG videos. You have a "style" that works, go with it.
@dan_house Good point. I don’t know a lot about this sort of thing, but not focusing on competing with other channels sounds like good advice.

@Crosman999 You have a following, I don’t see anything wrong with giving us more of what we want to see along with introducing us to new found techniques, tricks, and developing technology. Your channel is unique in the fact that you offer something a little different based upon your experiences and relationships. It’s one of a few channels that I actually keep up with. I look forward to watching many of your videos. I like the down-to-earth delivery, your accessibility in responding to questions and comments, the hunts, the quality of the camera and video shots, the editing, the write-ups, the scenery, and overall aesthetic. When you speak, you convey confidence in what you’re saying and you communicate information in a way that is easily understood. I don’t always agree with everything that you say which is fine by me. In that sense I get to hear a different perspective. At times yours may help to alter my perspective at some point. I like that you will say if something sucks. I hope you aren’t apprehensive about saying that to a friend or people that you have business relationships with. People like myself depend on people like you to be able to communicate those sorts of ideas so that products can continue to be improved upon. Above all I think your reviews and presentations are good for airgunning.

Last edited:
Your vids are good. I'll give one suggestion: DO NOT try to compete with other AG videos. You have a "style" that works, go with it.
THIS

Don't make a product showcase out of it, show real world use and scenarios.

Here's an idea for ya
How about a rifle that's zeroed and running well during the heat of the day, and then bail out of the tent in the cool of the morning and check zero?

If you have done this, I missed it, sorry.

@dan_house Good point. I don’t know a lot about this sort of thing, but not focusing on competing with other channels sounds like good advice.

@Crosman999 You have a following, I don’t see anything wrong with giving us more of what we want to see along with introducing us to new found techniques, tricks, and developing technology. Your channel is unique in the fact that you offer something a little different based upon your experiences and relationships. It’s one of a few channels that I actually keep up with. I look forward to watching many of your videos. I like the down-to-earth delivery, your accessibility in responding to questions and comments, the hunts, the quality of the camera and video shots, the editing, the write-ups, the scenery, and overall aesthetic. When you speak, you convey confidence in what you’re saying and you communicate information in a way that is easily understood. I don’t always agree with everything that you say which is fine by me. In that sense I get to hear a different perspective. At times yours may help to alter my perspective at some point. I like that you will say if something sucks. I hope you aren’t apprehensive about saying that to a Frei end or people that you have business relationships with. People like myself depend on people like you to be able to communicate those sorts of ideas so that products can continue to be improved upon. Above all I think your reviews and presentations are good for airgunning.
Thanks for the support and suggestions, I do value people's time. For me I'm lucky to have a few regular supporters to the channel but it's thin and in-between. Getting work is like pulling teeth, the reality is many manufacturers and distributors don't want someone honest. They are much more concerned with big views and channels that have a large subscriber base. Haha A few companies avoid me like the plague and it's all my own doing, I asked for it I guess. A bad review will close the door for future work with certain companies but I realized they simply just wanted a puppet. I realize this is a part of the industry nobody really knows but it's something that goes on regularly. I don't really try to compete with other channels but it's hard not to notice the views some of these people are getting...it's like wtf am I doing wrong? Lol Just got to laugh and not take things so seriously, I do have a ton of projects going on so really am not complaining.

Reactions: beerthief
@Crosman999 Heres the thing Dana. Please understand that this how I see things and my posting history should elucidate the fact that my thinking probably isn’t the norm. I think that your style is good for consumers looking for dependable airguns for hunting. You are the primary reason I purchased an Evol. I bought it a lot sooner than I thought I would and I don’t regret it. It became a dream gun for me after watching your videos. Then I saw what others were doing with theirs and I saw a couple deal and jumped on one. It’s not my everyday gun but it has a purpose. It does pretty much exactly what you described and demonstrated. With that said a company like AAA can get repeat business from me and you are a part of that decision making process. Now let’s juxtapose that scenario with an unboxing review.

A reviewer takes a gun out of a box, airs it up and shoots a couple targets. Then proceeds to tell me about a gun (s)he just got and may not know a whole lot about. That does very little for me. I want to know how it holds up and if it is capable of consistent performance. If I allow myself to be swayed by those types of reviews, I could end up with a lot of crap bound for the AGN classifieds. I’ve eyeballed and read up on many guns, but seeing airguns do what I need them to do is important. This is where the practical application and longevity elements come into play in airgun reviews. There are other things I notice in your reviews that I won’t spell out in a post because others may come along and read to steal your feedback. All I’m saying is I see value you in what you have to offer and your honesty is a big part of that.

If a company can’t see the long-term value in what you deliver then they may be the type of outfit concerned about moving a high volume of units upfront (pre-sales and within the first month of release) behind aggressive marketing with crappy support and a bunch of excuses when things go wrong (my assumption here). Whatever the case I don’t want to spend money with a manufacturer like that. I don’t want a gun that has common issues that can be easily remedied, but isn’t. If companies read this thread, you all should know that you have potential customers out here that value an honest reviewer. It’s up to you, the manufacturer, to improve your products in order to please your customers, not paying reviewers to overlook them.

Being real...being honest.... it doesn't sell to the people who can't look beyond a facade and only want to hear what they want to hear...
Many of the negative comments I get are from those who own the particular product I may have reviewed. It's almost like they watch a review to feel justified with a purchase and are offended when the review is less than glorious.

Dana!
I agree whole-heartedly that your vids are excellent. Well filmed/edited and interesting.
A few suggestions might be;
1.) Some of the specifications like; Air capacity, twist rate, how many magazines are included, fill probe or built-in, etc.
2.) Approximate shot count.
3.) Favored pellet/slug/ammo.
4..) Scope rail type.
5.) Adjustability such as; Regulated, accessed internal/external, what any control knobs do, etc.
6.) Approximate lethality range since you are normally hunting.
7.) Manufacturer's location.
8.) USA support and where.
9.) Ease of use/understanding what part does what for adjustments.
10.) Barrel length availability.
11.) Quietness.
12.) Moderator included with new.
13.) Good gauges.
14.) Let Marley do some talking.

Agree on the temperature sensitivity issue.
I always enjoy your videos.

mike

Thanks for the support and suggestions, I do value people's time. For me I'm lucky to have a few regular supporters to the channel but it's thin and in-between. Getting work is like pulling teeth, the reality is many manufacturers and distributors don't want someone honest. They are much more concerned with big views and channels that have a large subscriber base. Haha A few companies avoid me like the plague and it's all my own doing, I asked for it I guess. A bad review will close the door for future work with certain companies but I realized they simply just wanted a puppet. I realize this is a part of the industry nobody really knows but it's something that goes on regularly. I don't really try to compete with other channels but it's hard not to notice the views some of these people are getting...it's like wtf am I doing wrong? Lol Just got to laugh and not take things so seriously, I do have a ton of projects going on so really am not complaining.
i think i would be proud of the fact that some avoid like the plague . means you are doing something right .