• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Standard air gun trigger vs having trigger work done..

Just like title says, I've noticed that with the AG's I have they all have very long pull triggers. I'm talking springers, so understanding that follow through is very important, I find that the longer pull forces me to slow down and the extra time puts me into a kind of Zen state of One Shot One Kill, takes me back to making each and every shot count.

That being said why would I want to disrupt that connection by getting trigger work done on any of my shooters?

Does having a trigger that has been worked on either by a simple trigger mod, 'Tuna trigger, or trigger job make that big of a difference?

I'm on the fence right now, thinking about having trigger work done, but do not want to screw anything up as I really have no issues with any of them now.

I suppose it depends on the gun and the trigger. Some are good, some are ok, some are terrible. Lots of people rave about the T06 triggers available for Diana and HW rifles, and they are often considered to be the gold standard for competition springer triggers. I'm partial to the Quattro trigger system unique to Hatsan (and Hatsan-made Remington rifles), and factory Crosman Custom shop triggers are ok for their purpose; a little short, but very crisp. Good for target rifles. Gamo is notorious for having iffy triggers at best; the ones I've dealt with were squishy and somewhat unpredictable. Some Benjamin rifles have similar problems, but you don't hear as much about them. In the end, it comes down to your individual tastes and how well you can learn the quirks of a particular gun. If they don't bother you, I wouldn't mess with them. My Hatsans' Quattro triggers are adjustable, and I also prefer a long, hard first stage with a short, light second stage. Gives time to brace for the massive recoil and hold steady on the target.

In my best attempt to explain my thoughts, I think one of the most important elements to making a precise shot is that which enables the shooter to bring together his mind, body, and senses to gain a "oneness" with his gun. In other words, his gun has become a limb that, just like his arm and leg, he develops a sensation with and allows him to almost feel or direct where the projectile will hit. So, in my opinion, a good trigger helps but is not necessary. The skill of the shooter is the most important. 

"kkarmical"Just like title says, I've noticed that with the AG's I have they all have very long pull triggers. I'm talking springers, so understanding that follow through is very important, I find that the longer pull forces me to slow down and the extra time puts me into a kind of Zen state of One Shot One Kill, takes me back to making each and every shot count.

That being said why would I want to disrupt that connection by getting trigger work done on any of my shooters?

Does having a trigger that has been worked on either by a simple trigger mod, 'Tuna trigger, or trigger job make that big of a difference?

I'm on the fence right now, thinking about having trigger work done, but do not want to screw anything up as I really have no issues with any of them now.
It really depends on the grade of the stock trigger. For something high end, like Weihrauch, Diana, Walther... It might not matter. The factory triggers are already adjustable and already quite good.

...but when you get to the cheaper springers that are sold at mass market to any dummy, they make them HEAVY, and a heavy trigger is really hard to shoot well.

Case in point is my Stoeger X20. Had maybe a 5 lb. trigger, and no matter how many times I shot it, I only ever had a vague area of where it was going to break. I installed a Charlie da Tuna trigger, which is still heavy at maybe 2-3 lbs., but its let-off is crisp and I know where it's going to break. This humble Chinese rifle became twice as accurate with a $25 mod.

My HW30S on the other hand is already better than the Charlie da Tuna trigger on the X20. I think the only thing that's going to make the HW30s shoot better is more practice from my end, a better rest and a more consistent hold.

With that said, which gun are you considering doing a trigger job on? Pick something where it has a long, heavy pull, and I'll bet you find that the aftermarket trigger REALLY improves things. After that, you'll realize that it is YOU who are the main limitation of the accuracy, rather than the gun.

Thought about this a lot yesterday it's like anything else that requires effort, instead of trigger work, I'll continue to put in work behind the trigger.

Been wanting to add a .25 or .30 I'll focus on that instead, I really want a .30..

Sometimes when I read over and over how user reported "bad" these AG triggers are I want to try an upgrade even though I have no issues.

"Smaug"
"kkarmical"Just like title says, I've noticed that with the AG's I have they all have very long pull triggers. I'm talking springers, so understanding that follow through is very important, I find that the longer pull forces me to slow down and the extra time puts me into a kind of Zen state of One Shot One Kill, takes me back to making each and every shot count.

It really depends on the grade of the stock trigger. For something high end, like Weihrauch, Diana, Walther... It might not matter. The factory triggers are already adjustable and already quite good.

...but when you get to the cheaper springers that are sold at mass market to any dummy, they make them HEAVY, and a heavy trigger is really hard to shoot well.

Case in point is my Stoeger X20. Had maybe a 5 lb. trigger, and no matter how many times I shot it, I only ever had a vague area of where it was going to break. I installed a Charlie da Tuna trigger, which is still heavy at maybe 2-3 lbs., but its let-off is crisp and I know where it's going to break. This humble Chinese rifle became twice as accurate with a $25 mod.

My HW30S on the other hand is already better than the Charlie da Tuna trigger on the X20. I think the only thing that's going to make the HW30s shoot better is more practice from my end, a better rest and a more consistent hold.

With that said, which gun are you considering doing a trigger job on? Pick something where it has a long, heavy pull, and I'll bet you find that the aftermarket trigger REALLY improves things. After that, you'll realize that it is YOU who are the main limitation of the accuracy, rather than the gun.
Was considering upgrading Stoger ATAC, I have no issues stacking pellets with it, just was thinking of tinkering with it a little but didn't want to mess it up as it is dead on right now.

Both my Crosmans had horrid triggers, and accuracy greatly benefitted with the bearing/spring mods. My Ruger wasnt a problem, so i left that one alone. The long pulls really made being accurate difficult for me.

I think most of the Crosman and Benjamins benefit from a bearing mod. So it comes down to the particular model you own or are gonna own as to whether its beneficial or not.

I have a gamo whisper 1200 2008 model. Long ago I got a tuna trigger for it. Before I did that it looked like I was shooting a shotgun at 35yards. Not sure what rifle you have and unless you like to work on things some of the "trigger mods" can be good or bad. But the tuna is a simple drop in. I used to polish and adjust many pb rifle triggers. And have dropped a couple of Kidd 2 stage trigger groups in 10/22's and have set triggers in a couple of rifles. The point I'm trying to make is you have to try it to understand how good a nice trigger is.

I'll make you a deal. If tuna lists one for your rifle for the $30. Order it and if you don't like it send it too me and I'll give you a refund of the price.

"kkarmical"It was good to get inside this gun a little, all the screws were loose and in need of locktite, Took a look around made sure everything was all good, then installed drop in trigger.

WoW... 

Can not believe the difference, I have to get back to shooting.

Well there is a bad side of making your air gun trigger great....................or it was for me I ended up changing a number of triggers in my pb rifles. Put as much as a $200 Kidd trigger group in a 10/22. But the rifles I shoot long distance with now have set triggers.