SSG/Huma Reg/B Staley vs Stock Prod

So after a LOT of pellets and time with the new chrony I was able to find my guns sweet spot with pressure and tune. 6 1/2 HS, 3/4 HT. Starting at 2200psi I'm getting 608 fps that peaks at shot #10 at 626. It then drops under 600 at shot #15, shot 24 is 535. What kind of numbers could I expect out of one or a combination of those devices in the title? The goal is as many shots as possible in the low 600fps range.

I have some experience with all the mods you mention except the SSG.

If you find a good combination of o-rings and/or rubber washers with the B-Staley mod you might increase shot count by as much as about 50%. 

I'm waiting for a new P-Rod to deliver, having ordered it after seeing the incredible performance and shot count Huma achieved with a P-Rod, as reported and charted on their website. I highly recommend you read the whole P-Rod page on the Huma website.

Should my new P-Rod prove as Extreme Field Target worthy as it should, I will (then) immediately order a Huma reg for it; as I've installed them in other guns with great success/results. I believe Humas are the best regs on Earth, have no reason(s) to disbelieve their results with a P-Rod, and if so, that approach is in a whole 'nother league than the other approaches you ask about.

BTW, I went to Huma's website as last resort after giving up on my original desire to build a (300 BAR) regulated-bottle P-Rod to address the abysmal P-Rod shot-count when approaching the 20 foot pound EFT power limit. A (300 BAR) regged-bottle P-Rod project is apparently somewhere between impractical, improbable to build, and impossible. Even if possible, it would be three times as expensive as a Huma reg. 

AAP new cover small.1652292750.jpg

I’m getting 3 mags @ 670 average starts at 650fps ends at 655fps HS 6 HT 5.5 2,800 psi fill. Bone stock no mods. I am far from a pro tuner, but am happy with the results. If tuning for a lower fps. I would think you should be able to get more shots.

That is a good tune. I had a 6 and 1 tune in mine when it was stock and wasn’t quite getting your velocities for 3 mags. 

So after a LOT of pellets and time with the new chrony I was able to find my guns sweet spot with pressure and tune. 6 1/2 HS, 3/4 HT. Starting at 2200psi I'm getting 608 fps that peaks at shot #10 at 626. It then drops under 600 at shot #15, shot 24 is 535. What kind of numbers could I expect out of one or a combination of those devices in the title? The goal is as many shots as possible in the low 600fps range.

You need more psi to start with, just sayin'

I have some experience with all the mods you mention except the SSG.

If you find a good combination of o-rings and/or rubber washers with the B-Staley mod you might increase shot count by as much as about 50%. 

I'm waiting for a new P-Rod to deliver, having ordered it after seeing the incredible performance and shot count Huma achieved with a P-Rod, as reported and charted on their website. I highly recommend you read the whole P-Rod page on the Huma website.

Should my new P-Rod prove as Extreme Field Target worthy as it should, I will (then) immediately order a Huma reg for it; as I've installed them in other guns with great success/results. I believe Humas are the best regs on Earth, have no reason(s) to disbelieve their results with a P-Rod, and if so, that approach is in a whole 'nother league than the other approaches you ask about.

BTW, I went to Huma's website as last resort after giving up on my original desire to build a (300 BAR) regulated-bottle P-Rod to address the abysmal P-Rod shot-count when approaching the 20 foot pound EFT power limit. A (300 BAR) regged-bottle P-Rod project is apparently somewhere between impractical, improbable to build, and impossible. Even if possible, it would be three times as expensive as a Huma reg. 

AAP new cover small.1652292750.jpg

You just trying to get 20 fpe out of a p-Rod?

I did a bottle job on my P-Rod after the 1720T bottle thing turned out so well. 20 fpe was no problem, but I was going for 30+ fpe.

1219210931.1647093137.jpg

Ended up going back to a extended tube/non regged set up. Better power than a 2200 psi regged bottle. But 20 fpe was no problem whatsoever.

The Huma reg probably is the way to go, gonna check out the website, even though I know it'll cost me!

P-Rods sure are a blast!

Ron - if you'd like me to send you a Marauder Pistol tube cut to 10" and drop block ready, the one used in the above pic, just pm me your address. It's laying around and needs to be put to good use.

I did all the exact same mods, but on my Kral NP03 which is comparable to the prod. I did an SSS instead of an SSG, but we’re accomplishing the same goal. I didn’t do the B-Staley by itself, I did it with the sss first then added the reg. I don’t think the Kral hammer is near as good for the o-ring mod, it doesn’t have the adjustments needed. With the O-rings in I had to go to heavy with my hammer spring and cocking effort was to high to crack the valve at 200 bar. I added the reg set at 125 bar and that helped. I think I was doing 720 with cphp’s max. That was to anemic so I removed the o-rings. Now it’s just regulated with the short spring in it. My chrono went down shortly after getting it done so I don’t have a ton of data, new chrono should be here today. It’s running 800fps now for about three mags (36 shots). Again haven’t ran many strings, I fall off reg at around shot 30 but don’t see a any change in poi at 25 yards until I get to the end of the third mag. Absolutely zero hammer bounce with the gun.

EDIT: Chronograph came in today. My 03 is running 840 for thirty shots at 120 bar on my gauge. I get four shots off reg ending at 828. I’m gonna look up specs on the p-rod, curious to compare the two guns.

Beau

"You just trying to get 20 fpe out of a p-Rod?"

I'm actually wanting to get 18+ foot pounds and a worthwhile shot-count without accepting the wide extreme-spread of a stock P-Rod at that power level, Steve. The Huma website (chart) shows they got around 30 well-regulated shots at over 19 FP; which really hits the spot for me.

Before I abandoned the 300 BAR regulated-bottle P-Rod idea as too expensive, problematic or improbable, I'd have sure taken you up on your 10", drop-block-ready tube offer Buddy. MANY thanks for the offer. But if the Huma-regged P-Rod works as well as Huma's results, that is my preference.

Dreaming ahead if that works out, I'm a-thinkin' a 14.999999" barrel modification to the P-Rod would (then) not only produce more power, but alternatively, more shots per charge at 19-ish foot-pounds. The reduced frequency of dreams about dream girls in my old age makes room for more frequency of dreams about dream airguns; those dreams considerably more realistic!

My regulated Prod with some mods gets 3 mags at 730fps with 14.3’s. I don’t feel like doing fpe math because it’s pretty meaningless to me but I personally wouldn’t want to lean on the Prod much more than what I’m getting. I believe my reg is at 120b. One of the downsides to the reg install was a year long slow leak. I would mess with it from time to time but couldn’t cure it. Recently I faced the valve and did some work on the tiny plenum to give my orings more height. I think the leak is still there but it’s extremely slow now. The other thing I had to address was not having a pressure gauge. I lived with it for a while but while I was in the gun fixing the leak, I made a gauge port.

Having a 700fps .22 comes in handy. Especially when all your other guns are cannons. I don’t shoot it or my bottled 2240 much but when I need a safer velocity smacker, they’re perfect. Oh, my porting is 3.5mm. The transfer port is maxed out at 3.5mm and paper thin. Back when Prods were the hip thing, I remember guys using a piece of some kind of tubing in order to get bigger porting. Relying on a crush fit to get a seal. No thanks. If you need more gun, just buy more gun.