Squirrels with warbles

Almost every squirrel I shoot in this area has warbles. The bumps must be itchy because most of the squirrels are going bald around the lumps. This one had 2 lumps and my exit wound blew the warble up. Last year none of the squirrels I shot here had them. Wonder why.

2F422EB6-F4E4-4510-A634-A1C89736B205.jpeg

FDE06C5E-0703-4F74-BDE8-593FC36C57A5.jpeg

I've talked with a few people who hunted squirrel and they tell me not to hunt them till after the first frost.
I've also heard this but we always hunted just about as soon as we could.
A few years back a guy I hunted with left a squirrel lay because it had warbles, game warden had shown up and asked the usual questions. When Mike walks out and the questions start Mike mentions the squirrel that he left because of the warble, GW was upset, go get it NOW!

I'm thinking Mike has a fine coming, lost hunting privileges and maybe his shotgun. An uncomfortable 10 minutes passes and here comes Mike, GW takes the squirrel, cuts around the ankles of the rear legs, up the back of both to the rectum, severs the tail joint, stands on the squirrels feet and pulls off the hide about like you would a sock.

There it is, the warble is between the meat and the hide. GW explains a few things to Mike, looks at me and I agree,,,,, you know I did.

GW leaves. All is well, we eat lunch do the usual cleanup and head back into the woods

Botfly larvae, disgusting things, I hate those. I've seen five on a squirrel before. They get on cats too; I have a girl that I named Dixie who had one right above her left eye when she was a kitten outdoors and it got infected and was swelling her eye shut. I brought her in the house and carried her to the vet, left a scar over her eye. The warbles don't seem to bother the squirrels that much but I have seen several of them get infected and cause big oozing sores on cats. Maybe they claw at them and the squirrels don't?

It must be a temp/climate thing or something that has to do with the fly laying the eggs. Reason I say that is most years when you shoot the first squirrel and it has a warble. There is a 95% chance every other squirrel you shoot will have them as well. I always wait to hunt them until after the first good hard frost. After that happens there is no worries for the rest of the season. I've seen them in squirrels, cats and dogs, but never saw a rabbit with one.
Ray