• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Squirrels were out

I went out last month, the weather was nice around 65° no wind. Going for bunnies, saw lots but they were way quicker n didn't stop. I heard squirrels chirping in the orchard, I spotted this one at 52yrds. One .22 polymag to the dome n lights out. My flash hasn't failed me yet. Managed to get 2 more one at 35 n 46yrds, but both flip flopped down the holes.
20221214_135542.jpg
20221214_135523.jpg

My Favorite Uncle taught me to shoot them in the head or else they'd somehow make it back in their holes. I was 8 and could hardly hold his Mossberg .22 up so he set up a blanket on the front fender of his 1952 Nash. This was all happening at the local dump and there was plenty of action. Also if you missed they'd all jump in their holes,,, but everyone came back out in like 10 minutes, and then we continued. This went on just about every Saturday morning during the summer and we never made a dent in the population.

So shoot'em in the head!

Randy

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
I went out last month, the weather was nice around 65° no wind. Going for bunnies, saw lots but they were way quicker n didn't stop. I heard squirrels chirping in the orchard, I spotted this one at 52yrds. One .22 polymag to the dome n lights out. My flash hasn't failed me yet. Managed to get 2 more one at 35 n 46yrds, but both flip flopped down the holes. View attachment 320529View attachment 320530
That's another great shot and photo but it would have been better if it were a bunnie with your Flash! Thanks for sharing!

Which part of Cali? I'm South, near San Diego. A friend called day before yesterday & said he saw about 20 in 10 minutes. I only live 7 minutes from him but haven't seen any since day before Xmas eve. I'm hoping this Spring will bring em out by the thousands! I'm READY!!!
I am in the Riverside area. Ground squirrels are still active around me. They only bunker down when it’s raining/overcast. On relatively sunny days you can catch them sunning even in 55 degree temps.

Reactions: fatmatic
My Favorite Uncle taught me to shoot them in the head or else they'd somehow make it back in their holes. I was 8 and could hardly hold his Mossberg .22 up so he set up a blanket on the front fender of his 1952 Nash. This was all happening at the local dump and there was plenty of action. Also if you missed they'd all jump in their holes,,, but everyone came back out in like 10 minutes, and then we continued. This went on just about every Saturday morning during the summer and we never made a dent in the population.

So shoot'em in the head!

Randy
Sounds like good times. My dad n I did the same, but used a Ruger 10/22 n Rem 243, nothing but good times. .

Which part of Cali? I'm South, near San Diego. A friend called day before yesterday & said he saw about 20 in 10 minutes. I only live 7 minutes from him but haven't seen any since day before Xmas eve. I'm hoping this Spring will bring em out by the thousands! I'm READY!!!
Central CA. About 30min northwest of Bakersfield. Got some big Jack's out here as well. Got some pix on old posts, under my name.

Reactions: b0n3sHunter