Squirrels Are Killing My Trees

My wife came and told me that a squirrel is stripping the bark off one of our trees. I told her that they don't do that, but I'd take a look anyway. Boy, was I wrong. A large squirrel was ripping the bark off a tree as we watched, with binoculars. I decided I had enough of that and went to get the Wildcat .22. When I returned, . . . . . . yep, he was gone. We both kept our eyes glued to that tree for the next several days, but he never returned.
Has anyone else experienced this strange behavior? I have no idea what he was doing.

I wouldn't be surprised a squirrel doing that to the trees (I have gophers attacking my tree roots now).
We have lost 4-5 large trees in our backyard over the past 5-6 years.
Really impacted our backyard in a negative way (great shade and privacy trees).
Hope you don't experience any more damage. Take that crazy nutter out!

Couple weeks ago this was one of our back patio screen doors.

Its the GS that keep me busy in the backyard....this last year I get waves of them trying to set up shop in our back yard (not going to happen).

New batch emerged just this week: 

"Mr.Gadgets"Update:  They never returned to that tree and it's starting to heal over. Noticed another tree in the front yard that has fresh bark stripping now. Apparently it's a one time attack to get the bark they need. I guess I'm going to have to employ a strict No Squirrels at all policy.

Well its fun to shoot them but if you get bored with it ... get a good cat.