• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Squirrel vs H&N Hornet .25

I got my Flashpup yesterday, but all I had for 25 ammo was RWS Superdomes. I'd be better off throwing rocks. The Superdomes were not accurate enough to hunt. In an old dusty hardware store in a small town , I found one can of the H&N Hornets. The ones with the pointed brass thing. Typically I won't shoot a pointed pellet. But I was desperate. To my surprise these things will shoot a .3 5 shot string at 30 yards. As I was sighting the scope in , Mr Squirrel made his approach from the back fence. That's 56 yards from my spot in the front. I hadn't shot these pellets that far so I hunkered down and waited. It seemed like he must have smelled every leaf on that tree. After what seemed an hour ( probably closer to 2-3 minutes, but I was uncomfortable) he crossed the 35 yard mark. This spot happened to be on a large downward sloping limb. I put my crosshairs dead on the tip of his nose, when I flipped the safety off he was as still as could be. THWAP! He did a back flip off the limb. You will see in the picture that I pulled the shot. I missed the nose a little. But the Hornet made a clean pass and came out near the tail. I did t photograph what the inside looked like when I skinned it, but let's just say every organ in his body shut down simultaneously. Head shots only with the Hornets if you plan to eat them. 
1588541098_2769748635eaf36aadf9f54.34160943.jpg
1588541099_11848950485eaf36abcadf57.03489174.jpg

GOOD SHOT! If you want to blow all the junk Superdomes back the power down some. I checked my notes on 25 Superdomes low velocity like 550-750fps shot ok. Still enough to put some hurt in squirrels once you master the loopy trajectory. YO!

The Superdomes will fall I to the barrel. The skirts don't flare enough. Measurements on 10 skirts yeilded 6 different sizes. I'll burn them up on soda cans and such, but they will never be used in hunting.