Squirrel Vs 357 polymag

Is 357 too much for a squirrel at 35 yards?

Let's see the results from a body shot.

Entry

1000007114.jpg

Exit

1000007118.jpg

Split him open and smashed his shoulders apart. Here's the thing. No bloody mess, and ZERO movement after the shot. No tensing up, just rolled off the log and dropped to the group. I've never seen one just go limp like that.

I guess 130 fpe will do that though.

I'm going to cut him open soon to see the damage.

I expected more carnage from the exit wound...what shape projectile?

I am now clever enough to see polymag in the title...
It split him open pretty good, considering how thick their hide is.

I'm thinking a head shot would produce much worse damage. It definitely did a number on his innards though.

I don't own anything bigger than a .25....my expectations of carnage from a .357 may be unrealistic.
I was expecting it to blow him in half too! My 55 fpe 25 cal doesn't make much of an exit, so this is definitely worse than those. I'm waiting for another to show up and try a head shot. Have a feeling it'll be brutal.

Reactions: Hold_Over
Had another tearing up my bird feeder, so I waited for him to settle down. Took my shot, and it clipped his nose since he was quartering towards me. I felt horrible. He ran off into the woods past the creek behind me.

Luckily I found him up a tree, blood pouring from his face! I took him out with my 3622 and an H point from about 50 yards. Farthest shot I've taken with that rifle. I just held over 1.5 mildots and it landed right in his left eye! I watched the pellet arc and hit since they're only going 670 fps. That was the silver lining on that mishap. He's yote or coon food now, I won't be recovering him lol.

Oh well, $hit happens. Just topped off the 357 and have a polymag chambered for the next seed raider.

What's all the kids say these days, just send it?

Here we go!

WARNING!!! EXTREMELY GRAPHIC IMAGES AHEAD(pun intended)

1000007125.jpg
1000007123.jpg
1000007127.jpg
1000007124.jpg

So the impact at the head obviously took all the energy and then exited thru the body as just the hole. Basically backwards of what you'd think. I guess the brain cavity overpressured and popped.

Nice shot and great result. But it doesn't take >100 fpe to reliably take a squirrel with it being DRT. I've taken 10 with my ~32 fpe P35-22 and 18 with my P35025 when it was also at about 32 fpe. Of these 28, the only ones that ran were two shot right in the front of the chest with the 25. They went a maximum of about 15 feet. Those two and one shot shoulder to shoulder with the 25 were the only ones where the pellet did not exit. All the ones shot with the 22 exited and all those squirrels just fell down at impact of the pellet. Here are a couple pictures from the most recent. Entry and Exit side. Damage was not as great as the bigger more powerful calibers but it anchored this squirrel and the 9 others it has contacted just fine. It shoots H&N Baracuda Match (21 grains domed).

57 entry.jpg

57 exit.jpg

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
Nice shot and great result. But it doesn't take >100 fpe to reliably take a squirrel with it being DRT. I've taken 10 with my ~32 fpe P35-22 and 18 with my P35025 when it was also at about 32 fpe. Of these 28, the only ones that ran were two shot right in the front of the chest with the 25. They went a maximum of about 15 feet. Those two and one shot shoulder to shoulder with the 25 were the only ones where the pellet did not exit. All the ones shot with the 22 exited and all those squirrels just fell down at impact of the pellet. Here are a couple pictures from the most recent. Entry and Exit side. Damage was not as great as the bigger more powerful calibers but it anchored this squirrel and the 9 others it has contacted just fine. It shoots H&N Baracuda Match (21 grains domed).

View attachment 457526

View attachment 457527
Sure, they're DRT, but still flop around and spew blood. These 2 today didn't even wiggle after the energy dump.

357 is far too much for squirrels at close range. 357 also has too much drop for long range, at least at my power level. I won't be blasting anymore with this rig. I'll stick to 22 and 25 from now on.

Had another tearing up my bird feeder, so I waited for him to settle down. Took my shot, and it clipped his nose since he was quartering towards me. I felt horrible. He ran off into the woods past the creek behind me.

Luckily I found him up a tree, blood pouring from his face! I took him out with my 3622 and an H point from about 50 yards. Farthest shot I've taken with that rifle. I just held over 1.5 mildots and it landed right in his left eye! I watched the pellet arc and hit since they're only going 670 fps. That was the silver lining on that mishap. He's yote or coon food now, I won't be recovering him lol.

Oh well, $hit happens. Just topped off the 357 and have a polymag chambered for the next seed raider.
At least you got it done!

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
It's funny that you posted this, as I have a similar shot on a squirrel with my Benjamin Bulldog .357 shooting Polymags and there was nowhere near as much visible external damage. I guess I have ultra tough squirrels....

What was the distance? My first one today was 35 yards from the muzzle and a body shot. That was the one where it split the side open.

The 2nd nutter was the one that lost half it's face. I couldn't believe the results. Kinda made me done for the day lol.