• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Squirrel station

Hey guys

so you hear a lot of people saying corn is the best thing ever, I don’t know about the squirrels around my neck of the woods but I bought a bag of Squirrel Corn thinking they’d be all over it and they barely touch it

i got peanuts and a whole assortment of stuff, and it looks like they go after Red Cardinal mix mainly sunflower seeds more than anything 

I tried putting peanut butter out, didn’t do anything 

I’ve heard others suggest they love wheat....and only wheat ie avoid assorted mix ...what do you all have good luck with?

I'm in the UK and shoot squirrels over feeders all the time.

I mostly use wheat, which is supplied by the Estate I'm shooting on. They seem to like wheat but, if I place my feeders near bird feeding stations, that invariably use peanuts, that's what I'll use if the wheat isn't being taken. I often find squirrels take a peanut and run away to feed on it and birds such as woodpeckers or nuthatches nick a peanut and take it away to eat. Obviously the peanuts aren't free, like the wheat, so I tend to stick with the freebies.

We once ran out of wheat when the Gamekeeper who took some for the pheasants and neglected to leave me enough for a bag. I used barley and it was thrown on the ground and started a nice barley field under the feeder. It's wheat all the time now. 

With our UK airguns restricted to under 12 ft lb every one is head, (brain) shot.

I made 2 bird feeders and screwed them to 2 trees 20 yards and 50 yards from my bedroom sliding door. Just filled them with sunflower seeds, waited about 1 week... saw lots of birds and squirrels. After waiting a week shot about 16 squirrel within 2 weeks right out of my bedroom sliding door... going on week 4, still see 1-2 squirrels every day/morning. 

Cheap bag of sunflower seeds from Tractor Supply 40lb bag for $9.99