Squirrel Shot Placement

SHTF

Nov 2, 2019
Ny
1572742977_15947313985dbe2741ac2f27.61753806_362B76D1-8B0E-4D5F-BD9A-9760CB003727.jpeg
1572742978_4858810975dbe2742f213f8.35796448_D312BB47-A8B8-44A1-929D-16B798F1CEDB.jpeg
The great debate continues. Head shot or vital heart and lung shot. I myself favor the vital shot directly behind the front leg to be a instantaneous death. Although I have taken many with a clean head shot I’ve found that a hollow point out of my Hatsan 155 at 40-70 yards causes extreme hydraulic shock. Many of my buddies debate this often. What’s your thoughts? No wrong answer as long as it’s a clean kill. Picture of squirrel taken tonight with heart and lung vital shot at 55 yards

The heart and lung shot works great...I do use it from time to time but I've gotten accustomed to using brain shots almost exclusively. It's a bit easier for me to visualize the location of the brain, regardless of what angle the squirrel presents to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA9nN_IkdfE

The vitals shot does yield a less animated expiration so I get that appeal but another reason I prefer the brain shot is it produces an instantaneous halting of consciousness and I view that as somewhat more humane.

Another thing is I'll often take a .177 cal on gray squirrel hunts and pesting sessions...something in the 10-15fpe range is a beautiful thing for being discreet in a suburban setting, and in the woods it often enables taking multiples back-to-back-to-back. Grays are notoriously tough critters though and this caliber and power level is perfect for brain shots, whereas I've had a few runners when taking vitals shots. I'm perfectly willing to admit that difference may be my fault. In .22 cal and above, I find either shot placement to be equally effective.

Reactions: sonny
Shoulder shots if you have the power to punch through. Over 50+ years shooting Ca. ground squirrels I came to realize years ago shoulder shots were the most effective, given the size of the kill zone compared to a head shot.

i agree. shoulder shots to even large prairie dogs with jumbo heavies in .25 stops them in their tracks. it gives more margin for error and will still be a kill shot.

Not sure where i herd this info, but when i was a young i saw an article about squirrel have a void space below the brain and above the mouth that was slightly larger than a .22 rimfire and there is a chance that a .22 will pass through causing infection and head ache. It was either a MDC or on a hunting show that was prolly 18yrs ago or so. On squirrel its vitals only for me not much it eat in ribs any way. 

But thats no joke tree rats are little devils ive seen them run with .22 rimfire holes like they wernt even hit.